Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:47 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
yes i am not really good in english.
New specs
audio on bluray are 48mhz 24 bits pcm and like i said it's NOT optical tracks so now the best audio ever for those movies

In comparison, what are the specs for the movie Dragon Box?
ac3 448kbps 48mhz 16 bits
Minor nitpick: It's not MHz, it's KHz. 1KHz is 1000Hz, while 1MHz is 1000000Hz.

So, DBox is lossy AC3 compressed to 448kbps, while the BD is PCM uncompressed. DBox is sampled at 48KHz/16-bit, BD is sampled at 48KHz/24-bit... So, this means the BD is strictly superior in all of the differing metrics, technically speaking. Even the famous Laserdisc audio, which was PCM, would have been 44.1KHz/16-bit, meaning the BDs will be the best quality we've had the movie audio in to date, assuming they haven't done anything to ruin the audio such as dynamic range compression.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:As for the Twitter thing, FUNimation is already well aware that many want it and they're likely already working on licensing it to release it in US/Canada.
The fact they have excluded it from all official releases since the original Pioneer DVD singles says different.

And before you say it, yes, I realise they put the TV censored versions on Rock The Dragon. Doesn't count; it wasn't the uncut versions, and it pushes the narrative of "Ocean is the censored dubs that don't go on main releases", which would suggest they have no interest in putting the Pioneer dubs on a new release.
Though, the Rock The Dragon thing is worth noting for one reason; Funimation do not need to license the Pioneer dubs. They already own them. There is no licensing barrier. That is why I suggest a Twitter campaign.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:35 am

KBABZ wrote:Not sure how much they considered this in their production, but a 4:3 production would make it much easier to air those films on TV back when 4:3 was the norm.
Like I said, they were 4:3 safe, but framed for 1.85:1.

Come to think of it, I actually don't recall if the versions aired on TV (and those released on VHS) back then were open matte or cropped from the widescreen version.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:01 am

Robo4900 wrote:Now, I wonder if we can start a Tweeting campaign to Funimation to release these new Toei masters and use the Pioneer dubs on the first three Z movies... :)
Seriously, if anyone can help me out getting something like this going... Well... If Funi did this, we'd have a perfect release of the movies. I could die happy. :D
I'd definitely be willing to help with this. Maybe include SaiyaConUK and whoever runs the Dragon Ball Z - Ocean Dub Facebook page. Unlike the edited Canadian dubs, Funimation has no excuse to not add the Pioneer trilogy as extra audio options, especially if they want to maximise sales on a definitive release of those movies.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:33 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Not sure how much they considered this in their production, but a 4:3 production would make it much easier to air those films on TV back when 4:3 was the norm.

Come to think of it, I actually don't recall if the versions aired on TV (and those released on VHS) back then were open matte or cropped from the widescreen version.
I think the Japanese VHS releases were cropped like the Laserdisc releases were (my Japanese VHS release which I assume is a former rental because it's definitely not a bootleg for DB movie 1 is cropped) while the TV broadcasts of the movies would've likely been open matte at the time for convenience reasons (was broadcasting letterboxed versions of movies even a common practice in Japan back in the late '80's - early '90's?).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Now, I wonder if we can start a Tweeting campaign to Funimation to release these new Toei masters and use the Pioneer dubs on the first three Z movies... :)
Seriously, if anyone can help me out getting something like this going... Well... If Funi did this, we'd have a perfect release of the movies. I could die happy. :D
I'd definitely be willing to help with this. Maybe include SaiyaConUK and whoever runs the Dragon Ball Z - Ocean Dub Facebook page. Unlike the edited Canadian dubs, Funimation has no excuse to not add the Pioneer trilogy as extra audio options, especially if they want to maximise sales on a definitive release of those movies.
I believe the Ocean dub fan page on Facebook is run -- or at least assisted in its running -- by Arian, who I'm good friends with. :)
He's pretty busy these days, but I'll send him a message and see what he thinks.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:23 am

superrayman3 wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:

I think the Japanese VHS releases were cropped like the Laserdisc releases were (my Japanese VHS release which I assume is a former rental because it's definitely not a bootleg for DB movie 1 is cropped) while the TV broadcasts of the movies would've likely been open matte at the time for convenience reasons (was broadcasting letterboxed versions of movies even a common practice in Japan back in the late '80's - early '90's?).
Up until Z movie 3, the VHS tapes were open matte. After that, they started being letterboxed, and the earlier movies were re-released letterboxed later as well. I recall kei17 mentioning this here many years ago.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:52 am

Puto wrote:Up until Z movie 3, the VHS tapes were open matte. After that, they started being letterboxed, and the earlier movies were re-released letterboxed later as well. I recall kei17 mentioning this here many years ago.
In our country, the movies on VHS were in 4:3, right?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Puto wrote:Up until Z movie 3, the VHS tapes were open matte. After that, they started being letterboxed, and the earlier movies were re-released letterboxed later as well. I recall kei17 mentioning this here many years ago.
In our country, the movies on VHS were in 4:3, right?
that's the same with italian deagostini dvd , db movies 1-2-3 are 4/3 also the same for z 1-2 and since z movie 3 it's widescreen version

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:28 pm

My VHS must be one of the later prints if that's indeed the case because it's definitely letterboxed, didn't know that the original VHS releases of the early movies (pre Z movie 3) were open matte (now I'm gonna have to try and hunt down the first print VHS releases of DB movies 1-3 to see if those are actually open matte because now I'm curious).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:33 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:In our country, the movies on VHS were in 4:3, right?
They were and so were the DVDs.

Portugal never had a proper release of Dragon Ball series and movies but it had what it had.

DB Movies 1-3 [VHS]
DB Series [DVD]
DBZ Movies 1-9, 12-13 + 2 TV Specials [VHS]
DBZ Movies 1-9 + 2 TV-Specials [DVD]
DBGT Series [VHS]

Unreleased:

DB Movie 4
DBZ Series
DBZ Movies 10-11
DBGT TV-Special (think it was dubbed but dunno now)

DB Movie 4's Path to Power was dubbed in its entirety in Portuguese and that's easily my favorite Portuguese dub of the series made in Portugal. Hell, Goku's name was actually pronounced correctly and they said just Goku though most of the time it was still Son Goku. Goku in this dub had an adorable kid-like voice.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:48 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

Portugal never had a proper release of Dragon Ball series and movies but it had what it had.

DB Movies 1-3 [VHS]
DB Series [DVD]
DBGT Series [VHS]

Unreleased:

DB Movie 4
DBZ Series
DBZ Movies 10-11

DB Movie 4's Path to Power was dubbed in its entirety in Portuguese and that's easily my favorite Portuguese dub of the series made in Portugal. Hell, Goku's name was actually pronounced correctly and they said just Goku though most of the time it was still Son Goku. Goku in this dub had an adorable kid-like voice.
I never knew Portugal released all db and GT.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:24 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
That's what I thought. But were they open matte or cropped from widescreen? I believe it was the latter, but I can't say for sure.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:14 am

Open matte.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:22 am

Puto wrote:Open matte.
The Z movies?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:23 am

Yeah. I have the Portuguese DVD to movie 3, and it's definitely open matte.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:05 am

sangofe wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

DB Movies 1-3 [VHS]
DB Series [DVD]
DBGT Series [VHS]

Unreleased:

DB Movie 4
DBZ Series
DBZ Movies 10-11

I never knew Portugal released all db and GT.
DBZ Movies 12-13 were merged as one for a theatrical release (titled: "Dragon Ball Z: The Movie") though it was censored. For example, Hitler was cut out of it and some other odd cuts. Almost forgot, the background music was changed as well but Kikuchi's score, nevertheless.

This censored cut was remade in Germany on DVD with the Double Features as its source, the damn video was so dark at times I could barely see a thing but the dub (German) is as is, I'd guess.

orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie

Post by orangebrick94 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:06 am

This is going to sound so random, but has Hong Kong ever received any of the original films on home video? I heard the Cantonese version on Youtube and thought it sounded really cool.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 am

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... -4/.139130 Dragon Ball The Movies Blu-ray ♯01 - #03 sales, i'd say they didnt sell too well, even compared to other old anime re releases.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:19 am

I got the first volume in the mail yesterday. It looks fantastic! Is there any way to take screenshots of BDs? CyberLink's PowerDVD doesn't let you. Apparently it's illegal? I lookt it up, but it seemd pretty stupid. Uhg... Both the "screen capture" button is greyd out AND the Print Screen Button is deactivated. :/

I can't tell you guys if the audio is better or worse than the Amazon Video version since I don't have that version, so here's an audio clip instead. It's the scene right after Gohan is kidnapt and Gokuh yells into the injurd Chichi's face.
https://www.4shared.com/mp3/z6ERZ3MHda/ ... _Test.html
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:49 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:I got the first volume in the mail yesterday. It looks fantastic! Is there any way to take screenshots of BDs? CyberLink's PowerDVD doesn't let you. Apparently it's illegal? I lookt it up, but it seemd pretty stupid. Uhg... Both the "screen capture" button is greyd out AND the Print Screen Button is deactivated. :/
Have you tried VLC media player, that might be able to take screenshots (if VLC works just make sure that no video effects/filters are enabled so the shots aren't compromised in any way when you take them, I made that mistake when I first took screenshots of the RTD footage when the set first came out and had to completely redo them).

linkdude20002001 wrote:I can't tell you guys if the audio is better or worse than the Amazon Video version since I don't have that version, so here's an audio clip instead. It's the scene right after Gohan is kidnapt and Gokuh yells into the injurd Chichi's face.
https://www.4shared.com/mp3/z6ERZ3MHda/ ... _Test.html
I just gave your sample a listen and OMG, that audio even at 320kbs MP3 sounds PHENOMENAL, IDK how it compares to the DBOX version sound wise but I'm sure that most fans will be very satisfied with the audio on the Blu-ray release.