Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:25 pm

DHM211 wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I think the Blu-Rays look better than the Amazon rips. Listen, I understand wanting things to look filmic, but I just don't understand how you can prefer the compressed and macroblocked Amazon masters because "muh film grain".
Blu-ray:
Amazon (CC):
I'll live with a little bit of compression.

Wait. Post captures without any color alternations...

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Did anyone who saw movie 8 or the Bardock/Fusion double feature in theaters notice if there was prominent grain? If so, there's hope for a potential grain-intact BD from FUNimation down the line.
Movie 8 had very distinct grain when I went to go see it. Bardock less so, which is odd since that was shot on 16mm yes? Fusion Reborn also wasn't as grainy from what I remember, but it certainly didn't look like excessive DNR was employed in either case.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:31 pm

sangofe wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I think the Blu-Rays look better than the Amazon rips. Listen, I understand wanting things to look filmic, but I just don't understand how you can prefer the compressed and macroblocked Amazon masters because "muh film grain".
I'll live with a little bit of compression.

Wait. Post captures without any color alternations...
Amazon:
Blu-Ray:

Amazon:
Blu-Ray

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Those BD shots are, like, Japanese Boo Kai levels of hideous. Toei, what exactly possessed you to ruin a transfer that was already perfectly fine, fantastic, even, with this aggressive and pointless post-processing?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Blu-Ray:

Anyone got this shot from funi's bluray special and clip from the season set (i think this shot was in the flashbacks)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:49 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Blu-Ray:

Anyone got this shot from funi's bluray special and clip from the season set (i think this shot was in the flashbacks)
I don't have those on me but here's the same scene from the remastered movie 5 blu-ray.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:14 pm

From Funimations blu ray of the special
Couldn't get it to work with DGAVCIndex so i used MPC-HC but this is from Special Selection DVD
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 pm

TheQuazz wrote:Nah the GT and DB Bricks are pure trash. Just stupid filtering applied to their digibeta masters (which looked perfectly fine already).
Don't see how. The DB Bricks are really good in its own way, they are a tad zoomed in but otherwise a great 4x3 AR release of Dragon Ball. Now, the GT Bricks use the stupid ass metallic GT logo though besides that, can't really complain.

Both of these releases do a decent job as it is, unlike the Orange Bricks and the Season Blu-rays.
DHM211 wrote:Amazon:
Amazon's version looks vastly better but the Blu-ray offers a sharpened image so some might prefer that in the long run.

I hate to say it, but TOEI fucked up.

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Toei fucked up. Simply put.

These are beautiful remasters ruined by DNR. Do any of the other films have this level of noise reduction? I'm hoping this was a one-off thing...

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:18 pm

professorwho wrote:Toei fucked up. Simply put.

These are beautiful remasters ruined by DNR. Do any of the other films have this level of noise reduction? I'm hoping this was a one-off thing...
They do, but not to the same extent as movie 5.
Blu-ray:
Amazon:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:30 pm

From what i've seen, most of series/movies made by Toei look poorly in HD, especially when they get crappy company to do remaster.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Blu Ray Shots

Movie 1
Movie 2
Movie 3
Movie 4
So far only Movie 5 looks bad to me.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:44 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Blu Ray Shots

Movie 1
Movie 2
Movie 3
Movie 4
So far only Movie 5 looks bad to me.
While these look good, they still feel like a downgrade over the Amazon version.
Not sure why Toei felt the need to mess with these at all tbh.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:51 pm

DHM211 wrote:While these look good, they still feel like a downgrade over the Amazon version.
Yeah so strange that they would do this. Personally I'm happy with the way they look minus movie 5 and if they manage to keep the rest of them the way they did 1-4 id be fine with the set. Honestly though i truly wonder what is Toei's thought process when deciding these things.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Man they really got a lot of mileage out of Bulma's 23d TB outfit, didn't they?
Bruma rabu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:While these look good, they still feel like a downgrade over the Amazon version.
Yeah so strange that they would do this. Personally I'm happy with the way they look minus movie 5 and if they manage to keep the rest of them the way they did 1-4 id be fine with the set. Honestly though i truly wonder what is Toei's thought process when deciding these things.
I'm beginning to suspect that Toei assigned different "remaster leads" to different movies, which is why Movie 5 looks so damn different compared to the rest of what we've seen so far, possibly as a way to divide up the workload. It also means that, if my theory is true, the guy who did Movie 5 did two or three other films...

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:55 pm

KBABZ wrote:Man they really got a lot of mileage out of Bulma's 23d TB outfit, didn't they?
Bruma rabu wrote:
I'm beginning to suspect that Toei assigned different "remaster leads" to different movies, which is why Movie 5 looks so damn different compared to the rest of what we've seen so far, possibly as a way to divide up the workload. It also means that, if my theory is true, the guy who did Movie 5 did two or three other films...
Don't say that... please...

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:58 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Man they really got a lot of mileage out of Bulma's 23d TB outfit, didn't they?
Bruma rabu wrote: Yeah so strange that they would do this. Personally I'm happy with the way they look minus movie 5 and if they manage to keep the rest of them the way they did 1-4 id be fine with the set. Honestly though i truly wonder what is Toei's thought process when deciding these things.
That could also explain the varrying color balance issue in this movies.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:35 pm

DHM211 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I'm beginning to suspect that Toei assigned different "remaster leads" to different movies, which is why Movie 5 looks so damn different compared to the rest of what we've seen so far, possibly as a way to divide up the workload. It also means that, if my theory is true, the guy who did Movie 5 did two or three other films...
That could also explain the varrying color balance issue in this movies.
Yeah, I had the same thought.

Damned
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Damned » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:19 am

Yes, Blu-rays and HD-DVDs are more durable than DVDs

True, but something else to consider is where the data layer is located. In DVDs, it is located in the center of the plastic, while with Blu-ray it is located at the very edge of the bottom of the disc. So with a DVD, a light scratch would likely not compromise the data layer, while with Blu-ray it probably would.

As far as the remastering goes though, that is seriously a giant ball of crap. Why would they go through all the effort to post process the already fine (minus the yellow tint) masters they had? The only possible reason I can think of is them wanting to get a streaming version out ASAP, and that they intended to "Joe Clueless Consumerize" the movies from the beginning. That could also explain why the optical audio was used, since it is already synced to the film, unlike the Cinetapes (At least, I think the magnetic tapes aren't synced with any video source by default. Obviously, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Even if Funimation was given the "Amazon" master, it would probably have the optical track audio. A/V quality conscious Dragon Ball fans just can't seem to win I guess :( .

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:09 am

Damned wrote: As far as the remastering goes though, that is seriously a giant ball of crap. Why would they go through all the effort to post process the already fine (minus the yellow tint) masters they had? The only possible reason I can think of is them wanting to get a streaming version out ASAP, and that they intended to "Joe Clueless Consumerize" the movies from the beginning. That could also explain why the optical audio was used, since it is already synced to the film, unlike the Cinetapes (At least, I think the magnetic tapes aren't synced with any video source by default. Obviously, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Even if Funimation was given the "Amazon" master, it would probably have the optical track audio. A/V quality conscious Dragon Ball fans just can't seem to win I guess :( .
Unfortunately, this theory makes a lot of sense.