Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 am

KBABZ wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Anyway, the iTunes version is without a doubt the best one to go for since it offers the highest bitrate in terms of compressed audio formats' marketplaces (iTunes, Amazon, Play Store, Spotify). And newer one too, iTunes is M4A while the others are MP3 for some odd reason, such a relic of a music format.
They're probably MP3 because anything can play them, from iPhones to a Kia.
Yes, but these days, OGG and M4A are just as cross-compatible. Hell, even FLAC will play on almost all players; and those that don't will gladly play an ALAC.

Sticking with MP3 is like releasing movies as 320x240 Xvid encodes because of compatibility. Yes, it will probably run on basically anything capable of playing video, but you'd be making a rather stupid decision in doing this.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:08 am

KBABZ wrote:They're probably MP3 because anything can play them, from iPhones to a Kia.
True. Even today the most popular audio format is still MP3 and I was forced to convert high quality music files to MP3 because the media player on the car can't play FLAC/M4A.

/ot

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks for kei17 for photos
it seems Toei did not only DNR and sharpening, they also alter some stuffs, they have corrected piccolo hand on movie 8

here amazon
here bluray

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:58 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:Thanks for kei17 for photos
it seems Toei did not only DNR and sharpening, they also alter some stuffs, they have corrected piccolo hand on movie 8

here amazon
here bluray
The cropping looks different too.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:00 pm

sangofe wrote:The cropping looks different too.
No, it's the same.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Colours look a tiny bit different too
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:20 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:Thanks for kei17 for photos
I... don't like them "correcting" errors from the original film. That's a practice I really, really dislike.

It's okay in a "new" product like Kai, but not something presenting itself as the original. This isn't the theatrical version of the movie now.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:This isn't the theatrical version of the movie now.
Of course it is. These kind of corrections are no different from many other things that are done on restoration works.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:44 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Of course it is. These kind of corrections are no different from many other things that are done on restoration works.
Then why weren't all of the various animation errors in the series corrected for the Dragon Boxes?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:55 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:
Then why weren't all of the various animation errors in the series corrected for the Dragon Boxes?
Well to be fair, the Dbox was kind of a bare bones, half assed restoration process overall. Its biggest advantage was the superior framing and encoding. But a lot of other big budget restoration efforts are much more involved and fix errors like that. Like the Bambi remaster from 2007 for instance, fixed various frames where animals were miscolored.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:24 pm

I guess movie 12 is going to be heavily "corrected" with errors like this:

being fixed something like this:

And this strange frame will probably be removed all together:

If they ever tackle the series again, I expect errrors like this:

to be corrected:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I guess movie 12 is going to be heavily "corrected" with errors like this:

If they ever tackle the series again, I expect errrors like this:

to be corrected:
Those are pretty good! They appear to blend into the original footage very well.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 am

Metalwario64 wrote:I guess movie 12 is going to be heavily "corrected" with errors like this:

being fixed something like this:
nope credit to kei17

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 pm

He also mentioned that they altered the audio for the Blu ray release.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:He also mentioned that they altered the audio for the Blu ray release.
In what way?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:28 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:He also mentioned that they altered the audio for the Blu ray release.
In what way?
if i correctly understood, they denoised too much the audio in the silent part

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 pm

If anyone cares to know, the 4th set of the HD remaster of the Dragon Ball movies sold 781 copies.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: Best thing to do is to wait. Toei are putting them out on Blu-Ray soon, and since some of it is being shown in American cinemas, I'd say we're not far at all from Funi doing a release using these masters.

So, best thing to do is to hang on and see what happens. If you live in the USA, you probably won't have to wait all that long for a Funi release, perhaps a year at most from the Japanese release, I'd say. Australia, it'd be a bit longer, maybe a few months after Funi. UK... You'd probably be best off importing from the USA or Australia.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
Why does the UK suck so much? I’m currently in the Uk and I hope that they get their crap together so I can get those remasters.
I think the problem is that, much like TFC, Manga UK waited too long to release the movies. Kai Season 4 was released in December 2015, after that they had a dry period of new Dragon Ball releases between then and Super Part 1 and the first movie double feature in October and November 2017 respectively. That dry period should have been when they released the movies and TFC.

Whether or not they get these new remasters will depend on if Madman gets them, and even then it could be years because the double features are still fresh.

That said they are currently on sale on Zavvi so I hope they sell decently for the people who just want the movies with the dub and Jap audio with subtitle options as soon as possible and so Manga can at least get a return on their investment before licensing the new remasters from Madman.
Manga UK needs to get on their shit sometimes.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:06 pm

majinwarman wrote:Manga UK needs to get on their shit sometimes.
That's like expecting FUNimation to actually do justice by Dragon Ball Z and release it in 4x3 AR. :lol:

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:18 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
majinwarman wrote:Manga UK needs to get on their shit sometimes.
That's like expecting FUNimation to actually do justice by Dragon Ball Z and release it in 4x3 AR. :lol:
I know right ?!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.