Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:47 am

MyVisionity wrote:I just thought I would re-post the comments above for anyone reading who may not have recognized the patterns and leave it at that.
People have similar thoughts, it's normal.
MyVisionity wrote:Parents doing their jobs certainly might contribute to solving the problem, but that's only part of the solution. I don't agree with any of this censorship, but I can understand the desire to avoid being a negative influence on society's children.

That's of course if it's indeed really about the kids, or if there's not some other unknown motivation or cultural significance that hasn't been mentioned.
The Modern world we now live in, has companies re-thinking about how their product may or may not offend customers so they always make sure to censor it as much as possible so the likeliest people to make a mountain out of a molehill won't complain (i.e., parents, folks who see it somehow offensive, etc) while the fans will get upset, but they won't do anything. How is this fair? It's not. :thumbdown:

I was annoyed that Viz censored the Full Color but did I do anything about it? No.
MyVisionity wrote:That somehow makes more sense, but if true, then why are the parents complaining now? Is it a sudden shift, or what? And why would Toei choose censorship in response?
YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or even make to national news.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:19 am

Those covers for the last volumes look very unappealing to me...

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:03 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:while the fans will get upset, but they won't do anything.
Do you seriously think that the die-hard DB fans are going to just sit by and allow this to happen without taking any form of action because if so you are sadly mistaken, the DB fanbase is very passionate about preserving this material in the best quality and as accurately as possible and quite a few fans will go to certain extremes to achieve that goal, in fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in the next few weeks we start seeing uploaded versions of the Blu-ray movies that outright remove the censored frames with the Amazon versions being spliced in their place as a proverbial middle finger to Toei (which would kinda be poetic irony now that I stop and think about), heck if I had access to the Blu-ray and Amazon footage I'd happily do it myself.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
Do you seriously think that the die-hard DB fans are going to just sit by and allow this to happen without taking any form of action because if so you are sadly mistaken, the DB fanbase is very passionate about preserving this material in the best quality and as accurately as possible and quite a few fans will go to certain extremes to achieve that goal, in fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in the next few weeks we start seeing uploaded versions of the Blu-ray movies that outright remove the censored frames with the Amazon versions being spliced in their place as a proverbial middle finger to Toei (which would kinda be poetic irony now that I stop and think about), heck if I had access to the Blu-ray and Amazon footage I'd happily do it myself.
I never thought about splicing the censored scenes with the Amazon ones... :twisted:
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:38 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:
I never thought about splicing the censored scenes with the Amazon ones... :twisted:
What should be done is using amazon rip, and combined audio between BD and laser disc.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:20 pm

sangofe wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
superrayman3 wrote:Do you seriously think that the die-hard DB fans are going to just sit by and allow this to happen without taking any form of action because if so you are sadly mistaken, the DB fanbase is very passionate about preserving this material in the best quality and as accurately as possible and quite a few fans will go to certain extremes to achieve that goal, in fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in the next few weeks we start seeing uploaded versions of the Blu-ray movies that outright remove the censored frames with the Amazon versions being spliced in their place as a proverbial middle finger to Toei (which would kinda be poetic irony now that I stop and think about), heck if I had access to the Blu-ray and Amazon footage I'd happily do it myself.
What should be done is using amazon rip, and combined audio between BD and laser disc.
The BD audio is actually not very good. They totally silenced any "Silent" sections, which makes such parts very jarring if you have the volume up and/or have a really nice sound system.

Laserdisc and/or DBox audio is the best master of the audio at this time.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:37 pm

I would rank the blu ray's PQ like this
Movie 1-4: Good
Movie 5: Bad
Movie 6: Aight
Movie 7: Aight
Movie 8: Good
Movie 9: Aight
Movie 10: Aight
Movie 11: Aight (Minus the censoring)
Movie 12: Good (Minus the censoring)
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:51 am

Robo4900 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote: I never thought about splicing the censored scenes with the Amazon ones... :twisted:
The BD audio is actually not very good. They totally silenced any "Silent" sections, which makes such parts very jarring if you have the volume up and/or have a really nice sound system.

Why do you think i said to combine the audio?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:22 am

sangofe wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
sangofe wrote:

Why go through all the trouble when you could just use the dragon box audio?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:09 am

DHM211 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: The BD audio is actually not very good. They totally silenced any "Silent" sections, which makes such parts very jarring if you have the volume up and/or have a really nice sound system.

Why use the Dragon Box audio when it is inferior?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 am

sangofe wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Why use the Dragon Box audio when it is inferior?
It really isn't. If you could get the whole thing working fine from the BD audio, then it'd be worth it since the 24-bit sampling is nice to have, but with the technical issues it would present, and the hassle required to fix it, the Dragon Box and/or Laserdisc audio is just superior.

Even if you could blend the silence from the DBox/LD into the BD, it wouldn't be seamless, and you'd lose a lot of the benefit of the 24-bit sampling if you're going to swap out most quieter sections for DBox/LD, and the noise floors wouldn't match up... It'd just be a bad idea.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:I would rank the blu ray's PQ like this
Movie 1-4: Good ok
Movie 5: Bad ok
Movie 6: Aight ok
Movie 7: Aight too dark
Movie 8: Good ok minus the correction, Toei shouldn't correct anything in the movie as it is supposed to be a remaster not a remake
Movie 9: Aight ok
Movie 10: Aight ok
Movie 11: Aight (Minus the censoring) ok
Movie 12: Good (Minus the censoring)ok
For me DNR and sometimes Sharpening filter (except all outragious censorship or alterations done) are what bothered me the most) if Funi Bluray were not so dark and overbright, they could have looked FAR better than the Toei Bluray

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:48 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: For me DNR and sometimes Sharpening filter (except all outragious censorship or alterations done) are what bothered me the most) if Funi Bluray were not so dark and overbright, they could have looked FAR better than the Toei Bluray

I'll check out some comparison between the Funi blu rays and toeis
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:10 pm

Yet again Toei does something to mess up something that was already good before. Will we ever see a perfect classic DB release?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:37 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Yet again Toei does something to mess up something that was already good before. Will we ever see a perfect classic DB release?
Never.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:09 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Yet again Toei does something to mess up something that was already good before. Will we ever see a perfect classic DB release?
Never.
Yeah, this is becoming almost a for sure situation. It's so sad.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:02 pm

superrayman3 wrote:Do you seriously think that the die-hard DB fans are going to just sit by and allow this to happen without taking any form of action because if so you are sadly mistaken, the DB fanbase is very passionate about preserving this material in the best quality and as accurately as possible and quite a few fans will go to certain extremes to achieve that goal, in fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in the next few weeks we start seeing uploaded versions of the Blu-ray movies that outright remove the censored frames with the Amazon versions being spliced in their place as a proverbial middle finger to Toei (which would kinda be poetic irony now that I stop and think about), heck if I had access to the Blu-ray and Amazon footage I'd happily do it myself.
Well, I think you mistook me. I know how passionate the Dragon Ball community is but I meant in complaining to TOEI for them to release it properly. The Dragon Ball community is rather unfortunate because the fans have to fix up what TOEI/FUNi screwed up.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:15 am

Hey guys, I just recently found out about this. Are the middle fingers kept on the amazon streaming versions? Why would they keep the middle fingers on those versions (if true), but not the blu-ray?

This is an all-time new low for Toei.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:34 am

DB1984 wrote:Hey guys, I just recently found out about this. Are the middle fingers kept on the amazon streaming versions? Why would they keep the middle fingers on those versions (if true), but not the blu-ray?

This is an all-time new low for Toei.
They did keep them there.