Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Sani007 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:00 am

Too much DNR, again. So, it will look like the series, if it wil released... :?

Ajay

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Ajay » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:23 am

The capture people are taking screenshots from is super low quality, so you wouldn't be able to see the grain in the first place. I wouldn't put too much into this stuff until it's properly released.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:31 am

It’s really sad to see Toei censoring things. And it’s quite irritating that nowadays companies have to take all the possible measures beforehand to avoid people getting offended by their products.
It’s like a new trend to get offended at everything, and the companies bending to offended people’s complaints only make matters worse. I hope this terrible trend will just die.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:58 am

The screenshots from here https://twitter.com/bboykenlaw/status/1 ... 5400820739 look really good and there is some hint in the darks of some grain. Then again we dont know what toei is gonna do with the blurays. Lets hope for a amazon/netflix stream again :^)
Looks better than the few scenes in the cooler movie imo
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:20 pm

Keeping in mind that this is a rather low-bitrate TV airing, screencapped to Imgur's rather heavy image compression, thus this is going to look a lot worse than if this master goes to BD, here are some screenshots I've assembled...
Yes, black bars, I know... Can't be bothered to remove them. Deal with it. :P

Is it just me, or do these colours look more like a print than a negative?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:42 pm

So why did Toei keep middle fingers on Amazon but not on Blu-Ray? Anything we can do so Toei will get the hint?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:29 pm

DB1984 wrote:So why did Toei keep middle fingers on Amazon but not on Blu-Ray? Anything we can do so Toei will get the hint?
It's because the Amazon masters were not the final masters; they still had a lot of mastering work to be done, and in particular the audio was still screwy. So, they hadn't gone through the crappy DNR+sharpening phase of mastering, or the digital paint editing that would put this censorship into force.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:03 pm

I suggest we give Toei the middle finger by not supporting their products ever.

Toei has always been a shitty-as-fuck studio. Only studio in Japan to throw away the original audio masters for one.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:55 am

DB1984 wrote:I suggest we give Toei the middle finger by not supporting their products ever.

Toei has always been a shitty-as-fuck studio. Only studio in Japan to throw away the original audio masters for one.
To be fair 500+ episodes of master tape takes a lot of space. Not to mention the money saved by just reusing the tape.
But yea overall, one of the biggest, if not the biggest anime franchise not having a proper bluray release in 2018 is unacceptable. Then again Naruto doesnt have one either :roll:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:07 am

I get needing to save space, but with a franchise as successful and culturally significant as Dragon Ball? Surely TOEI could have sold the audio masters to collectors? I'm sure they would have become at least one person's most prized possession.
jaisonas wrote:Then again Naruto doesnt have one either :roll:
Or One Piece... or at least most of the seasons, although given its length that would be an even greater burden than Dragon Ball :lol:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:40 am

Robo4900 wrote:Keeping in mind that this is a rather low-bitrate TV airing, screencapped to Imgur's rather heavy image compression, thus this is going to look a lot worse than if this master goes to BD, here are some screenshots I've assembled...
Yes, black bars, I know... Can't be bothered to remove them. Deal with it. :P

Is it just me, or do these colours look more like a print than a negative?
Imgur compresses images nowadays when they're bigger than 1mb but, Christ, that looks kinda crappy.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:02 am

it look as DNR as some bluray movies so i suggest this one not beeing the "raw" footage but the final product
only people that have seen this one in US theater can maybe say if it look the same

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:52 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:it look as DNR as some bluray movies so i suggest this one not beeing the "raw" footage but the final product
only people that have seen this one in US theater can maybe say if it look the same
There are two things most consumers don't like:

1. Grain
2. Black bars

As such, companies DNR shows and crop it so it fills the entire screen regardless if there's a loyal fanbase who'd prefer to watch it in its original AR. TOEI seems like they might be trying to merge the fans and general customers as one.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:12 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:it look as DNR as some bluray movies so i suggest this one not beeing the "raw" footage but the final product

1. Grain
2. Black bars

As such, companies DNR shows and crop it so it fills the entire screen regardless if there's a loyal fanbase who'd prefer to watch it in its original AR. TOEI seems like they might be trying to merge the fans and general customers as one.
I'd agree if it weren't for the existence of nostalgia channels like Boomerang for cartoons and Jones! for live-action TV who both screen their exclusively-old content in 4:3. I'd say it's more a broadcasters-in-Japan thing, as that's why the original Kai had a cropped version for TV and a full-screen version on Blu-Ray. The full-screen version was probably removed for TFC because that would mean you had 30% less picture to work on, which saves Toei a Yen or two.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:54 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

1. Grain
2. Black bars

Dragon Ball is 4/3 so black bar are pretty logical, you take lot of nowadays movies, even in 16/9 aspect ratio, you have black bar on top and bottom even if the movie was shot in imax and could easilly fill the screen with image (example avengers 3 is mostly release with black bar but an imax open matte version exist) and people don't say anything about that so for me the black bar argument don't worth anything

for the grain i am pretty okay that it's not confortable to see and bitrates overkill but DNR and sharpening are destructive if you talk about proper release it mean fidelity. it's like it was shot on films , removing grain is just make the footage blurier and kill details, you have to bear with it, Sunrise did a Yoroiden Samurai Troopers Bluray release with few DNR too and it somewhat look like kai 1.0, i am mostly fine with it, it's destructive as you loose in sharpening i am really fine with it (maybe cause of the poor dvd quality) i think the best should be a compromise between the grain (film noise) and the sharpening

sure that when i see thoses screens i just think
"fuck Toei"

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:02 pm

I have to say though, we cant be sure about the dnr on this cause its a low bitrate stream. If you check the very first images on this thread, which also come from low bitrate streams, they also look dnr'd.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:Dragon Ball is 4/3 so black bar are pretty logical, you take lot of nowadays movies, even in 16/9 aspect ratio, you have black bar on top and bottom even if the movie was shot in imax and could easilly fill the screen with image (example avengers 3 is mostly release with black bar but an imax open matte version exist) and people don't say anything about that so for me the black bar argument don't worth anything
Thing is, the top and bottom black bars aren't as bothersome as those on the sides so people give it a pass.

I'm guilty of once asking a guy running the theater if he could fill in the entire screen, though I did know about the whole AR stuff but completely forgot.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:44 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I get needing to save space, but with a franchise as successful and culturally significant as Dragon Ball? Surely TOEI could have sold the audio masters to collectors? I'm sure they would have become at least one person's most prized possession.
jaisonas wrote:Then again Naruto doesnt have one either :roll:
Or One Piece... or at least most of the seasons, although given its length that would be an even greater burden than Dragon Ball :lol:
You got to think of from their point of view during that era. The idea of collecting shows wasn't yet a thing. On top of that dragon ball is a very long show adding up to over 440 episodes, can't imagine how much space that would take up.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

1. Grain
2. Black bars
Wrong.

No one actually cares.

You'll see some people complain about it on Amazon reviews, but no one actually cares.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

1. Grain
2. Black bars
Wrong.

No one actually cares.

You'll see some people complain about it on Amazon reviews, but no one actually cares.
You don't think consumers care about black bars?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.