Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1299
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:28 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
Puto wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Worth noting though that Kai has its video presented as a widescreen picture that has 4:3 footage in the middle. Not only is that a waste of disk space, but more pertinently almost all TVs won't allow you to zoom in on that because the picture is already widescreen and thus the TV sees it as taking up all of the screen.
Blu-rays have to be 16:9. The standard literally does not allow for a 4:3 video feed.
What about the level sets?
He's talking about the video, not the aspect ratio of the content. The video stream of a Blu-ray is always 16:9, no matter what. If the content has a different aspect ratio, the rest is filled with black. Top and bottom or on the sides.

The level sets are in 4:3, but the video stream is 16:9. If you take a screen capture, the black bars on the sides are part of the picture. Nothing is being "wasted".

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16367
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:What about the level sets?
Again, it's all Blu-rays. Their 1080p video standard dictates it must be in a 16:9 format at 1920x1080. In the case of the "Level" sets and anything else presented in a 4:3 aspect ratio, it's a full 1920 horizontal frame with 1440 in the middle surrounded by hard-encoded 240-wide pillar bars on each side; that is to say, the black bars are part of the actual video file.

This is opposed to DVDs, which allowed for true 4:3 or anamorphic widescreen encodes within the 720x480 standard.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm

VegettoEX wrote:This is opposed to DVDs, which allowed for true 4:3 or anamorphic widescreen encodes within the 720x480 standard.
Minor nitpick: Blu-Rays also support the 720x480 standard -- and the PAL equivalent of 720x576 -- exactly the same way as it works on DVD in terms of video and its anamorphic nature. But, of course, this only works if you want DVD-resolution content on Blu-Ray, which is very uncommon outside of special features.
Additionally, it is worth noting Blu-Rays do have a 1440x1080 mode or two, but it's an anamorphic standard that displays this visual information stretched out to fill a 16:9 frame.

Just thought I'd put that out there for clarity.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

DB1984
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by DB1984 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Another way to get the films in fullscreen, Japanese, and no molesting (removal of middle fingers and DNR): Look for 16mm or 35mm prints of the films from film collectors.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16367
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Minor nitpick: Blu-Rays also support the 720x480 standard -- and the PAL equivalent of 720x576 -- exactly the same way as it works on DVD in terms of video and its anamorphic nature. But, of course, this only works if you want DVD-resolution content on Blu-Ray, which is very uncommon outside of special features.
Additionally, it is worth noting Blu-Rays do have a 1440x1080 mode or two, but it's an anamorphic standard that displays this visual information stretched out to fill a 16:9 frame.

Just thought I'd put that out there for clarity.
This post that I am writing here is an "I want to acknowledge that I know this and you're explaining to me what I know but I understand why you felt the need to explain it and I probably would have done the same thing were I in your shoes but ultimately it's not exactly relevant to the discussion here because they're not putting SD content on the Blu-rays in SD itself but hey it's cool that we all know this" response. Thank you :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3877
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Huh, never knew that Blu-Rays had to be widescreen! Anyways, people watch anamorphic widescreen pictures like Lord of the Rings and The Matrix all the time (which don't fit perfectly on almost all TVs), so they shouldn't have anything to complain about when it comes to putting 4:3 content up there. Having a widescreen crop would be a neat alternate angle for the video feed, but ultimately it shouldn't be the main way to view that footage. People need to accept that this show is old.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:58 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Minor nitpick: Blu-Rays also support the 720x480 standard -- and the PAL equivalent of 720x576 -- exactly the same way as it works on DVD in terms of video and its anamorphic nature. But, of course, this only works if you want DVD-resolution content on Blu-Ray, which is very uncommon outside of special features.
Additionally, it is worth noting Blu-Rays do have a 1440x1080 mode or two, but it's an anamorphic standard that displays this visual information stretched out to fill a 16:9 frame.

Just thought I'd put that out there for clarity.
This post that I am writing here is an "I want to acknowledge that I know this and you're explaining to me what I know but I understand why you felt the need to explain it and I probably would have done the same thing were I in your shoes but ultimately it's not exactly relevant to the discussion here because they're not putting SD content on the Blu-rays in SD itself but hey it's cool that we all know this" response. Thank you :).
Cheers, man. :)
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 am

Given that Netflix now allows to download their shows and movies to be watched offline, are the NF versions of TOEI HD not somewhat superior to the AMZN ones? It's DRM'd but I guess in time that'll be unlocked (scene "warez" teams can and know how to).

User avatar
professorwho
Newbie
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by professorwho » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Given that Netflix now allows to download their shows and movies to be watched offline, are the NF versions of TOEI HD not somewhat superior to the AMZN ones? It's DRM'd but I guess in time that'll be unlocked (scene "warez" teams can and know how to).
It's possible. Amazon's stream has better compression and a higher bitrate, but it needs to be captured (I think? No idea how it works, but that's not the point), whereas Netflix doesn't have the limitations of an internet stream. As for whether or not it's better, I have no idea. I'd love for a full 1920x1080 version to be released, as then I could author it with subs into a custom BD (the AMZ streams are still 1080p, but because its in 1.85:1 AR, the encoders of the release removed the slight black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, thus it's 1040p).

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 837
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am
Location: West Virginia USA

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:01 pm

professorwho wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Given that Netflix now allows to download their shows and movies to be watched offline, are the NF versions of TOEI HD not somewhat superior to the AMZN ones? It's DRM'd but I guess in time that'll be unlocked (scene "warez" teams can and know how to).
It's possible. Amazon's stream has better compression and a higher bitrate, but it needs to be captured (I think? No idea how it works, but that's not the point), whereas Netflix doesn't have the limitations of an internet stream. As for whether or not it's better, I have no idea. I'd love for a full 1920x1080 version to be released, as then I could author it with subs into a custom BD (the AMZ streams are still 1080p, but because its in 1.85:1 AR, the encoders of the release removed the slight black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, thus it's 1040p).
Couldn't the black bars just be re-added to make it 1080p again if worst comes to worst and the original 1080p version doesn't become available? Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the encoders of the Amazon version cut 20 pixels of height from the top and bottom of the footage, which makes it 1040p, if that's the case then simply adding 20 pixels to the top and bottom of the footage should restore everything back to 1080p which can then be authored for Blu-ray, just thought I'd throw the idea out there just in case.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2670
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 pm

superrayman3 wrote:
professorwho wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Given that Netflix now allows to download their shows and movies to be watched offline, are the NF versions of TOEI HD not somewhat superior to the AMZN ones? It's DRM'd but I guess in time that'll be unlocked (scene "warez" teams can and know how to).
It's possible. Amazon's stream has better compression and a higher bitrate, but it needs to be captured (I think? No idea how it works, but that's not the point), whereas Netflix doesn't have the limitations of an internet stream. As for whether or not it's better, I have no idea. I'd love for a full 1920x1080 version to be released, as then I could author it with subs into a custom BD (the AMZ streams are still 1080p, but because its in 1.85:1 AR, the encoders of the release removed the slight black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, thus it's 1040p).
Couldn't the black bars just be re-added to make it 1080p again if worst comes to worst and the original 1080p version doesn't become available? Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the encoders of the Amazon version cut 20 pixels of height from the top and bottom of the footage, which makes it 1040p, if that's the case then simply adding 20 pixels to the top and bottom of the footage should restore everything back to 1080p which can then be authored for Blu-ray, just thought I'd throw the idea out there just in case.
No, the Amazon rips are actually downloaded from the raw stream data. They are in fact 1040p native. To up-rez it to 1080p, you'd need to re-encode and add black bars yourself, which would lose more quality than it's worth; why do this to make a custom BD when you can just watch the file, and put ASS-formatted subs on that'd look a million times better than a Blu-Ray's PGS subs? Even plain SRT would be more ideal than PGS, honestly.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote:No, the Amazon rips are actually downloaded from the raw stream data. They are in fact 1040p native. To up-rez it to 1080p, you'd need to re-encode and add black bars yourself, which would lose more quality than it's worth; why do this to make a custom BD when you can just watch the file, and put ASS-formatted subs on that'd look a million times better than a Blu-Ray's PGS subs? Even plain SRT would be more ideal than PGS, honestly.
Good to know. Even the Netflix Offline files don't stand a chance against Amazon's webrips then.

The file size of DB and DBZ movies downloaded via Netflix vary, most are around 600MB ~ 800MB and a few actually reach 1GB.

User avatar
The Galactic Tyrant
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:06 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by The Galactic Tyrant » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:56 am

Are the Amazon Rips Censored? I.e Middle fingers etc?
Formally Known As SSj Gogito (Wait Who Was That)

Scavenger
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:50 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Scavenger » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:14 am

The Galactic Tyrant wrote:Are the Amazon Rips Censored? I.e Middle fingers etc?
Uncut. Middle fingers are still present.

User avatar
BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here
Posts: 2030
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:17 pm

So the impression I'm getting is that the Blu-Rays versions should be largely good barring some DNR that we can't make out entirely until they release? I don't know what the various encryption schemes of the digital storefronts are so physical might be my first choice.
JacobYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:41 pm

So, are the masters they used for these new streaming and BD releases all new scans of the films or are they simply HD converts of the 16mm scans they already had released previously i.e. Dragon Box: The Movies in 2006 and the individual DVDs in 2008-2009 respectively?

Also on another note the finger censoring is just absolutely ridiculous, now with some of the edits done in Kai like blood reduction and such i could see due to the change in time slot from Wednesday evenings to Sunday mornings but this type of thing really makes no sense.

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1299
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:08 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:So, are the masters they used for these new streaming and BD releases all new scans of the films or are they simply HD converts of the 16mm scans they already had released previously i.e. Dragon Box: The Movies in 2006 and the individual DVDs in 2008-2009 respectively?
They are either new scans (most likely) or the existing scans with proper restoration treatment (which the Dragon Box release never got).

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1117
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:So, are the masters they used for these new streaming and BD releases all new scans of the films or are they simply HD converts of the 16mm scans they already had released previously i.e. Dragon Box: The Movies in 2006 and the individual DVDs in 2008-2009 respectively?
They are either new scans (most likely) or the existing scans with proper restoration treatment (which the Dragon Box release never got).
Hmm, i guess it could most likely be the former as the DBox for the movies (and individual discs as well) were more or less just straight encodes off of the original 16mm film masters as is. Then again, that's pretty much how it went for the releases of all three series in that format as far as i know given it was only minorly cleaned up for various issues like dirt and other things.

They may have actually done a proper restoration this time around, versus basically leaving the movies as is like when they were released over a decade ago.

User avatar
Bruma rabu
Regular
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Dragon Ball Movie 03 Blu Ray
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Last edited by Bruma rabu on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

User avatar
Bruma rabu
Regular
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:12 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Dragon Ball Movie 02 Blu Ray
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

For those who are worried about censoring heres Goku's junk
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Post Reply