Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Id love to see the ocean dubed moveies with this quality. if Funimation releases these masters I hope we can get those dubs on them.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: New HD Scan Of The Movies From Toei?!

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Ajay wrote:Hopefully that's fixed for the inevitable home release.
What are the chances of a Blu-ray re-release with the new masters (instead of staying with the previous encode)?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Do the complaints of Dragon Box Z extend to the Dragon Box for the OG series too?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:50 pm

KBABZ wrote:Do the complaints of Dragon Box Z extend to the Dragon Box for the OG series too?
Yeah. OG Dragon Ball is even worse. The DBox Z is mostly free of crushed blacks and whites (until the Buu saga at least) but DB the colors are suuuuper fucked up at some points. Oftentimes he sky is just straight up green.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:25 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Id love to see the ocean dubed moveies with this quality. if Funimation releases these masters I hope we can get those dubs on them.
I certainly never expected their release of Akira to include the Streamline dub, and Funimation is aware of the general fan interest in the Ocean dub of Z. I wouldn't expect them to include it in future releases, but I wouldn't be surprised either.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:59 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Do the complaints of Dragon Box Z extend to the Dragon Box for the OG series too?
Yeah. OG Dragon Ball is even worse. The DBox Z is mostly free of crushed blacks and whites (until the Buu saga at least) but DB the colors are suuuuper fucked up at some points. Oftentimes he sky is just straight up green.
Wow, now I feel like a sucker for coveting it in the first place.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:05 am

KBABZ wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Wow, now I feel like a sucker for coveting it in the first place.
It's still the best home video release of the series available in spite of how degraded the colors are for much of it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:09 am

This is not my capture, but apparantly this got added to Netflix Japan, in sd, badly compressed dbox :
https://imgur.com/a/NYQR3v4

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:26 am

Kuwabara wrote:I certainly never expected their release of Akira to include the Streamline dub, and Funimation is aware of the general fan interest in the Ocean dub of Z. I wouldn't expect them to include it in future releases, but I wouldn't be surprised either.
The first DVD release of Akira came with a bonus DVD with the original VHS version included with the old dub. Funimation did re-release the Ocean dub so I could totally see them putting them on a bluray as a bonus.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:45 am

sangofe wrote:This is not my capture, but apparantly this got added to Netflix Japan, in sd, badly compressed dbox :
https://imgur.com/a/NYQR3v4
"kei's stuff" lol they are things that should have been hide

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:35 am

That's beside the point. The point is the specs of the video.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:What are the chances of a Blu-ray re-release with the new masters (instead of staying with the previous encode)?
I'd say it's pretty high. For Japan anyway. But there's also at least a good chance that Funimation will licence it. If not, fans will find a way to add subtitles to the Japanese release. I wish Toei would include subtitles like Studio Ghibli does with their films,
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:50 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Ajay wrote:Hopefully that's fixed for the inevitable home release.
What are the chances of a Blu-ray re-release with the new masters (instead of staying with the previous encode)?
Very very high, on amazon prime japan even the trailer have been remastered HD, what's the point doing this kind of rescan if it's not for a brand new home video release?
Seriously as previously as Arian show it here, the movies were DNR upscaled on japanese netflix, amazon etc... this DNR remaster has also been released by yamato video for italian bluray, so it's probably really new things made for the 20th movies, and as amazon prime and netflix aren't the best way for Toei to get money back from this kind of film HD scan, it's almost 100% sure they will be a new bluray release i even think when the 20th will be released on theaters or for the Home video release (with a 20 movies box sets) or they wait to do the series too with a giga box

if it sold well and have really high good return, i think it can help them doing similar (not equal as the series aren't 35mm films) to the 3 series,
Don't forget that Toei promote movies with really nice cels, and few time ago they did the same with some kind of promotionnal cels for dbz, it's THE TIME to make toei ear worldwide voices if it's not already done...toei could have used funimation HD scan but they choose to make thei own scan,

so there is hope for the series having this kind of remaster (and make the color correction topic almost useless lol)
sure that we have to keep an eye on the series on amazon and netflix japanese version to see what will happened

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:41 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:Very very high, on amazon prime japan even the trailer have been remastered HD, what's the point doing this kind of rescan if it's not for a brand new home video release?
Unfortunately, that's nothing new in the Blu-ray world. New scans, remasters, etc are sometimes locked to digital/streaming services and never appear on home video reissues. Granted, I don't usually buy anime on Blu-ray, nor do I import from Japan (BDs in particular are surprisingly expensive), which is why I was asking what's their usual MO for situations like these.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:50 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:Very very high, on amazon prime japan even the trailer have been remastered HD, what's the point doing this kind of rescan if it's not for a brand new home video release?
Unfortunately, that's nothing new in the Blu-ray world. New scans, remasters, etc are sometimes locked to digital/streaming services and never appear on home video reissues. Granted, I don't usually buy anime on Blu-ray, nor do I import from Japan (BDs in particular are surprisingly expensive), which is why I was asking what's their usual MO for situations like these.
It seems to be the case with laughing salesman. A Great remaster of that's been on Amazon for a while, but no bds to be seen anywhere.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Digital/streaming is convenient and all, but it's basically a rental. Not to mention that, for the same content, it's invariably of lower quality when compared to Blu-ray.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:29 am

Gutted.. if only they were on my Netflix (NZ).

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:18 am

I'm considering purchasing one of these from Amazon. Is there a way to download the movie once I've purchased it? I've never bought digital before, but I'd like to remux it using the audio from the Dragon Box release.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:01 am

sumpter360 wrote:I'm considering purchasing one of these from Amazon. Is there a way to download the movie once I've purchased it? I've never bought digital before, but I'd like to remux it using the audio from the Dragon Box release.
Might be worth just waiting. Toei will almost certainly fix the audio when they get around to a Blu-Ray release, and this fix will likely be passed along to the digital version too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

fabrebatalla18

Post by fabrebatalla18 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:10 pm

God, how much faith do you have in TOEI, do not you know their history? They have ruined lots of audios in their Home Video releases, for example, the Digimon movies in their Bluray have an audio just as bad as in this case of Dragon Ball.