Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:07 am

Metalwario64 wrote:But then that's also a slippery slope as well anyway, because nowadays everyone detests Roshi's perversion, so would literally all of those scenes be cut as well? In addition to the violence and rude finger gesture edits? Also, some people hate the baby wieners, so those need some digital underwear to cover up.
Not that Toei would at all bother with this approach (it'd cost money!), but I'd at least limit it to what was in the manga; the anime added a lot of its own Roshi perv scenes for really no reason at all.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:09 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:Not as bad as 5, take a look at the caps. I think people are being overly dramatic. Is censoring bad yeah but as far as I know only 2 scenes were censored and across 2 movies. Is the remastering as bad as kai 2.0? No, I think people are forgetting what that actually looked like. Is it as good as the Amazon streams though? No, the Amazon streams are better BUT they're not on any level of kais remastering.
Nobody's being overly dramatic. This is censorship of movies that have been consistently released uncut in the past, and not only is censorship itself a huge problem, but it's a largely backwards move by the company that made these films in the first place.

The footage itself is also mangled. Kai TFC had at least great dark details, but these are crushed and overly dark like FUNimation's masters are. These had the same process done, but Kai was on 16mm film and these are on 30mm, so that's the only reason these look better.

But again, the censorship isn't okay just because it was only in two movies, that alone has huge negative implications for any future releases of past Dragon Ball material. These products should be preserved and unaltered, and for Toei to suddenly freak out about "changing standards", to the point of having the same notice that old racist films have, makes me really wonder if there's been a huge and sudden shift in Japan to "cleanse" children's media. I remember when Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans was airing in Japan that someone filed a complaint about the main character shooting a man, when even a decade prior there was Gundam 00 with the protagonist murdering his own parents as a child soldier.

If Japan goes the route of trying to offend as few people as possible, its media is going to start suffering for it like how a majority of American movies, cartoons and comedy have been watered down and homogenized to where big blockbuster movies are super safe in an attempt to not offend anyone, and comedians are scared of offending people.

The worst part of this is that if FUNimation can only release the censored versions and discontinues their Double Features, these shitty censored releases will be the only versions available for purchase. If Toei continues censoring the franchise and FUNimation has to release them in that state, no longer will people be able to purchase the series in its uncensored form unless you can get a used orange brick, and in this event even those might rise in price due to people wanting an uncensored release.
It's not as dark as the Funi blu rays nowhere near as bad those. I hate censoring with a passion but the way everybody is complaining makes it sound like every movie was censored when that isn't the case. The remastering is very inconsistent across the board some of it is good and some of it is bad. People are generalizing way to much. Some people are just reading other opinions and taking them as fact and blindly hating the entire thing, with out looking at the caps them selfs and judging it for then selfs.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 am

i honestly don't care about the censorship, i still wanna get toei's remasters boxset

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:32 am

It mightn't be a huge deal to a lot of fans, but for those of us who are big into collecting Blu-Rays the inconsistency is a pain. I'd still be tempted to pick up Box 7 and 8 as I'd like to have Path to Power and the 3 original Dragon Ball movies on Blu-Ray but it would look weird on my shelf to not have the previous volumes. Also, as Gaffer Tape pointed out, if middle fingers are such an issue its very worrying how TOEI will handle the "objectionable" aspects of those movies. I'd also be interested in getting Boxes 1 and 2 if Funimation could be persuaded to include the Pioneer dubs as extra audio options for DBZ movies 1-3, but aesthetically it would look worse to have a missing gap between volumes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:34 am

With this "release", Toei lost all my trust. Even (a little bit) I've lost my interest from Dragon Ball (Super: Broly). But I'm a fan since 1997 and I've accepted every sh*t from them.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:55 am

I'm starting to think the censoring of middle fingers is a cultural thing. Nothing else has been censored, has it? It'll be interesting to hear Kanzenshuu's podcast about this.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:06 am

No matter what the reason, do not touch the original work. That's why I didn't buy VIZ Dragon Ball manga either. (yeah, in Full Color, "just" Popo lips. It's the original Mr. Popo? No!)
The biggest sin in this edition is censorship, but the DNR is disgusting too.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:13 am

Sani007 wrote:No matter what the reason, do not touch the original work. That's why I didn't buy VIZ Dragon Ball manga either. (yeah, in Full Color, "just" Popo lips. It's the original Mr. Popo? No!)
Well, if what I've been told is right, shaking fists is more offending in Japan. But I'm not sure about this yet.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:22 am

sangofe wrote:
Sani007 wrote:No matter what the reason, do not touch the original work. That's why I didn't buy VIZ Dragon Ball manga either. (yeah, in Full Color, "just" Popo lips. It's the original Mr. Popo? No!)
Well, if what I've been told is right, shaking fists is more offending in Japan. But I'm not sure about this yet.
It doesn't change anything. Even if it really is so. Was this in the original movies? No.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:12 am

Sani007 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
It doesn't change anything. Even if it really is so. Was this in the original movies? No.
It could give an explenation about their choice and their choice would be more understandable. It is important to see things from different points of view. I am not saying i prefer the fists, far from, but i think this is interesting to know.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:15 pm

“How dare Trunks show the middle finger to an evil clone of a monster! That’s OFFENSIVE because ... well ... Trunks should be more nice to a murderer!” Or “How dare Gogeta (who resembles an oversized Oompa Loompa - I MEAN A NICE PRETTY BALLOON WITH A LOT OF AIR INSIDE) show the middle finger to an inter dimensional demon! That’s OFFENSIVE because ... well ... it’s showing that all people with weight problems are sore losers!

Welcome to 2018, where people get their feelings hurt over the slightest things and their feeble attempts to remove stuff like statues or have words “erased” from “history books”. :lol:
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:22 pm

I think that's what it looks like. Censorship. This is the first time in DB history that the original Japanese release is censored. (DB Kai was different situation.)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 am

Was Gohan's dick in DBZ Movie 3 (and DBZ Movie 1(IIRC)) and Goku's dick in DB Movie 4 censored? If only the middle fingers were edited out...that's an odd double standard.

AFAIK pre-pubescent penis is considered more offensive in the US than bird flipping is.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:18 am

Danfun64 wrote:Was Gohan's dick in DBZ Movie 3 (and DBZ Movie 1(IIRC)) and Goku's dick in DB Movie 4 censored? If only the middle fingers were edited out...that's an odd double standard.

AFAIK pre-pubescent penis is considered more offensive in the US than bird flipping is.
As far as I know and have seen nothing else has been censored. I can't say anything about the dragon ball movies though as they have yet to come out.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:46 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:“How dare Trunks show the middle finger to an evil clone of a monster! That’s OFFENSIVE because ... well ... Trunks should be more nice to a murderer!” Or “How dare Gogeta (who resembles an oversized Oompa Loompa - I MEAN A NICE PRETTY BALLOON WITH A LOT OF AIR INSIDE) show the middle finger to an inter dimensional demon! That’s OFFENSIVE because ... well ... it’s showing that all people with weight problems are sore losers!

Welcome to 2018, where people get their feelings hurt over the slightest things and their feeble attempts to remove stuff like statues or have words “erased” from “history books”. :lol:
It's not about being offensive, it's about the kids, and not doing a bad influence. Some animes censor out people smoking cigarettes even.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:38 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:“How dare Trunks show the middle finger to an evil clone of a monster! That’s OFFENSIVE because ... well ... Trunks should be more nice to a murderer!” Or “How dare Gogeta (who resembles an oversized Oompa Loompa - I MEAN A NICE PRETTY BALLOON WITH A LOT OF AIR INSIDE) show the middle finger to an inter dimensional demon! That’s OFFENSIVE because ... well ... it’s showing that all people with weight problems are sore losers!

I'd thought that Japan would ditch the whole 'Sensitive Generation' bs but even TOEI's caving in themselves, so they're playing safe in possibly not offending anyone but also offending people by removing it. It's like renaming Christmas as "Happy Holidays" where Westerners have to accept it's been replaced by the generic name "Happy Holidays" and move on.

Dragon Ball has had blood removed, penises (which every male has and it's taught in schools) and.. now middle fingers? Well, then I guess next up is to make the fighting scenes somehow less violent or brutal.

Next thing you know, they'll try to rewrite history of countries/continents, oh wait.. that's already happening.

P.S. Back in the Kai days, Goku had his penis hidden so they were already geared up for censoring Dragon Ball ever more. God forbid natural body parts are shown which is just what it is, body parts. Some people find everything offensive, racist, sexist, misogynistic and xenophobic these days and they're the reason why shows and comedy in itself is being watered down.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:28 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:P.S. Back in the Kai days, Goku had his penis hidden so they were already geared up for censoring Dragon Ball ever more. God forbid natural body parts are shown which is just what it is, body parts. Some people find everything offensive, racist, sexist, misogynistic and xenophobic these days and they're the reason why shows and comedy in itself is being watered down.
That was because Kai was intended to be sold to the international market. If anything this suggests that Toei intends to sell these overseas. Unless they don't, in which case this is all very weird indeed.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:28 am

mute_proxy wrote:

It's not about being offensive, it's about the kids, and not doing a bad influence. Some animes censor out people smoking cigarettes even.
Let's get real; it's not about kids and influence. It's about minimising complaints from parents.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 am

In a sense I'm relieved, now I don't have to shell out money to import these sets! :lol:

Truly a shame, but somehow I'm not surprised? Disney Blu-rays for example almost always have something fucked up about them, so I brace myself for disappointment as a rule of thumb.

What's weird about movie 12 getting censored is... It definitely wasn't censored when the film was screened in America recently. That gives me hope that an eventual re-release from Funimation won't have these changes, but there's also the issue of the films looking different on Japanese streaming platforms... Why the fuck would they look different at all!? Why can't Toei just agree on one master to spread around? Why is this so hard? The conspiratorial side of me wants to believe that they want more and more consumers to flock to streaming this way, but I would hate to be that cynical. Aren't companies supposed to have standards in place? Really embarrassing on multiple fronts.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 pm

KBABZ wrote:That was because Kai was intended to be sold to the international market. If anything this suggests that Toei intends to sell these overseas. Unless they don't, in which case this is all very weird indeed.
It can happen but not on a large scale. Spain, France, Germany, Britain, America, Australia and etc have all gotten their "high definition" Dragon Ball Z movies on Blu-ray so it may occur these'll get released in the West but not as popular as it could have been.

I wonder if TOEI will get rid of Hitler and his army. :lol: