Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mh2207

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by mh2207 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:51 am

Javaki wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:47 am
kei17 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm
Javaki wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:20 pm Kazé announced a German Blu-ray release of the first 17 movies in 4 volumes.

Volume 1 will contain Dragon Ball movies 01 through 03 & the 10th Anniversary Movie (release: 20 July 2020)
Volume 2 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 01 through 04 (ETA: late-August 2020)
Volume 3 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 05 through 08 (ETA: late-September 2020)
Volume 4 will contain Dragon Ball Z movies 09 through 13 (ETA: late-November 2020)

I wonder which masters they gonna use :think:
In France, the DBZ movies were broadcast in HD recently, and they turned out to be the same as those used for the Japanese Blu-ray release (heavily DNR'ed, cel composition errors fixed) but without the censorship. So I guess that this release is using the same masters.
Can't confirm it myself (as I don't own a copy yet), but somebody who bought the German 4th volume ("Dragonball Z – The Movies – Box 3") just told me that the censorship from the Japanese Blu-rays is actually also present on Kazé's German release, in DBZ movie 12th's case in both the German theatrical cut and the German subtitled original version. :/ They apparently rebuild the German "DBZ Movie 12+13 double feature" theatrical cut with the new (censored) HD master.
I Can confirm. They're censored.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Javaki » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:29 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:13 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:59 amWhat's interesting is that the specials were released in HD, even though the managed to mess up the bardock special (the video were trimmed to match the dub so they removed certain frames and the commercial breaks).
I've read about the lack of eyecatches, but not frames. Which frames were removed?
I couldn't check the Trunks special in detail yet, but compared to FUNimation's 16:9 Blu-ray, ~120 frames (~5 seconds) right before the second eyecatches are missing from the Bardock special on the German 4:3 Blu-ray. It's the sequence where Bardock rushes from left to right (sorry, 3rd image should actually be before the 2nd one). But pretty much the same footage is repeated right after the eyecatches anyway, so the frames are not really missing.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:46 pm

No major "frame removal" for the second special either. The Trunks special on the German Blu-ray is missing 5 frames right before the first (removed) eyecatches, 7 frames right after the second (removed) eyecatches, and 4 frames right after the third (removed) eyecatches.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:31 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:59 amWhat's interesting is that the specials were released in HD, even though the managed to mess up the bardock special (the video were trimmed to match the dub so they removed certain frames and the commercial breaks).
I've read about the lack of eyecatches, but not frames. Which frames were removed?
These are someone else's words. I don't understand what they mean.
"The German BDs are missing eyecatches as well as a neighboring shot. "

mh2207

Post by mh2207 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:46 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:31 am
These are someone else's words. I don't understand what they mean.
"The German BDs are missing eyecatches as well as a neighboring shot. "
Neighboring shot propably refers to the scene where bardock launches at the freezer soldiers.
It is repeated before and after the eye catcher. So one was removed as well.

Check out what javaki wrote in his last two posts in this thread.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:36 pm

We are no Closer to getting an English Friendly Release of this on home video Are we ? what would be the Best way to own them these Days ? i relly hope we get Proper Bds ...

in the Mean time i have the original Madman singles for 1-13 of the films also have the history of Trunks there might be missing the Bardock special i own the first first 4 madman dvds of the Infamous Funi film version of for the respective films( double packs) and then i own a Complete BD set of all those Films via Madman ... so same infamous funi transfer with the crushed blacks and hightented Blues along with the DNR .....

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:50 am

No news on any more international Blu-Ray releases, but for those in India it looks like Cooler's Revenge will be airing on Cartoon Network this Sunday (April 23rd) at 12:15pm with the TOEI remaster. Hopefully these are gradually distributed more widely.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:11 am

Sorry if I'm asking something that's already been addressed, but does anyone here know if the French 'L'ntegrale des films' release has the green-tinted color associated with the recent remasters?

I'm on the verge of buying the pack as it's pretty cheap considering it has essentially every movie pre-Super, although with an admittedly god-awful packaging, but the green-tint could be a bit of a dealbreaker.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:43 am

^ I think the usual Toei problem involves green but also sometimes yellow, right?

Can't say about the green tint as I don't notice it as much as other people, but I did notice the yellowish tint on a few of the movies in the pack, it's even pretty intense on DBZ movie 7.

So it's pretty safe to bet that - as with other recent French DB releases - they use the Japanese masters as a base with just text being changed when it's recent material starting from Kai (credits and titles of the episodes being translated), including any tint that Toei gives it - green or yellowish - without any editing to correct anything.

Consider buying the French Blu-ray set is the equivalent to buying the Japanese ones, with maybe details like the menus and encoding changing, but no editing to the video received from Toei ultimately.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:17 pm

^ Thanks for clarifying.
I opted to just go in and purchase this pack. If push comes to shove, I'll just try and correct the colors on the worst offenders in the pack.
Hopefully it won't be especially difficult. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:54 am

Another broadcast of the TOEI remasters for Indian fans confirmed, in all five languages.

Super Android 13 airing on their local Cartoon Network Sunday May 7th at the same time Cooler's Revenge was shown.

For some reason they've only aired this and the first Cooler movie, no word on the others yet.

Cooler's Revenge also being rerun tomorrow at 1pm.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:12 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:54 am Another broadcast of the TOEI remasters for Indian fans confirmed, in all five languages.

Super Android 13 airing on their local Cartoon Network Sunday May 7th at the same time Cooler's Revenge was shown.

For some reason they've only aired this and the first Cooler movie, no word on the others yet.
Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler is next:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNPKI2DRe3k