DBZ Animation Cels on RightStuf

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

DBZ Animation Cels on RightStuf

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:10 am

I feel like there'd be an appropriate thread for me to put this in already, but I'm drawing a blank on what one that would be, so for now I'll just make it it's own thread I suppose - a mod is more than welcome to merge this into something else of course though.

Apparently RightStuf may be looking into getting into selling cels now, or at least 'Chroma Cels' which they explain to be 'high-quality reproductions of original animation cels created with exclusive, cutting-edge printing technology'. I'm not knowledgeable enough about cels to know how true any of this is, but they look nice enough to me at any rate. In regards to Dragon Ball, they have two up so far -

Goku, Chi Chi, and Gohan

Goku and Captain Ginyu

For about $20 a pop, are these a pretty good deal? Again, I'm not entirely familiar with how much cels usually go for, much less Chroma Cels or whatever. They also had a couple of Slayers ones that were autographed and went for $40, so we may eventually see something akin to that pop up for Dragon Ball as well (please not however that with Slayers, it was a dub actress signature, so we'd likely see dub actor signatures on the Dragon Ball ones too, rather than seiyuu, before anyone gets TOO excited).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ajay

Re: DBZ Animation Cels on RightStuf

Post by Ajay » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 am

Like you mentioned, they're just reproductions rather than the real deal, but they're cool all the same.

If you don't feel like splashing out hundreds for real cels, then these aren't a bad option. I bought an Evangelion one a few years back.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:05 am

Chroma cels of these exact same shots were sold on the Z Store over a decade ago, peep 1:04 of this video:

https://youtu.be/PenpMERBN30

I think the Z Store and RightStuf merged a long time ago? My guess is that RightStuf either found a bunch of these in their warehouse or bought a ton of new old stock for super cheap. You might have to crawl through the Wayback Machine to find out what these used to run for, but I at least remember them being higher than $20 back then.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

MonkeyKing16
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MonkeyKing16 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Hmmmm....to buy or not to buy.....

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:27 am

I don't know... I don't think it's really worth buying anything that's a 'reproduction'.. seems a bit pointless to me. I'd always be looking at it going "it's not the real thing".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:42 am

LordCrumb wrote:I don't know... I don't think it's really worth buying anything that's a 'reproduction'.. seems a bit pointless to me. I'd always be looking at it going "it's not the real thing".
I think they're intended to be a middle line; a step up from framing a screenshot but a cheaper alternative to buying a real animation cell.