Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3954
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Yeah I agree. Dragon Ball is aimed at younger males, but that doesn't mean non-boys can't enjoy it.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I always love to see Kimagure Orange Road fans. Because it gives me an excuse to gush about its music which is TERRIFIC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU5MAitxtfY

Which side are you on? Hikaru or Madoka?
Madoka up until the second movie, then I realised Hikaru was best girl.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3769
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Well, if you live in the USA its your Lucky (Or unlucky if you liked that second movie) because KIMAGURE ORANGE ROAD IS COMING TO BLU RAY!

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/statu ... 8846159873
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14019
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:23 pm

Dragon Ball is not favorite Shonen, but I still like the series. I'm more of a Seinen person, but my favorite Shonen of all time is Devilman since it was publish in a Shonen magazine. I can't stand modern Shonen because I find them annoying to sit through. They mostly use friendship, fan service and rehash old cliches that I'm so sick of. Modern Shonen like D. Gray-Man, Attack on Titan, Guilty Crown, etc bored me to death or they annoyed me to death like Fairy Tail, Black Clover, etc. The only Shonen anime & manga from the 2000's and this decade that I really like are The Devil is A Part Timer and Baka & Test for how funny they are. For 2000's Shonen anime, I did like the first half of Death Note and Samurai Champloo.

I'm not into MHA, but at least I was able to finish the first season and it didn't want me to cut myself. Noragami was a mixed bag in my opinion because I really wish the Shinto aspect of the story had more to it. I found Kill la Kill to be a guilty pleasure of me for being a homage to Cutie Honey and Project A-Ko. Otherwise, I don't like Shonen anime & manga after 1995 (the year that DB ended).
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:59 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Dragon Ball is not favorite Shonen, but I still like the series. I'm more of a Seinen person, but my favorite Shonen of all time is Devilman since it was publish in a Shonen magazine. I can't stand modern Shonen because I find them annoying to sit through. They mostly use friendship, fan service and rehash old cliches that I'm so sick of. Modern Shonen like D. Gray-Man, Attack on Titan, Guilty Crown, etc bored me to death or they annoyed me to death like Fairy Tail, Black Clover, etc. The only Shonen anime & manga from the 2000's and this decade that I really like are The Devil is A Part Timer and Baka & Test for how funny they are. For 2000's Shonen anime, I did like the first half of Death Note and Samurai Champloo.

I'm not into MHA, but at least I was able to finish the first season and it didn't want me to cut myself. Noragami was a mixed bag in my opinion because I really wish the Shinto aspect of the story had more to it. I found Kill la Kill to be a guilty pleasure of me for being a homage to Cutie Honey and Project A-Ko. Otherwise, I don't like Shonen anime & manga after 1995 (the year that DB ended).
Attack on Titan is seinen and while we are on it I would like to debunk a common myth of one punch man being a shonen.It’s a seinen.

From modern shonen,I will recommend promised neverland and mob psycho 100.The latter doesn’t has good art,but it’s worth it.One punch man is quite good too.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:08 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:12 am

Nope. Shingeki is shounen. It is published in a shounen magazine.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3769
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:18 am

Yeah. Shonen really has no set tropes or tone that makes AoT "Not Shonen". Kimagure Orange Road is a relationship manga more similar to Shojo yet its shonen.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3954
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:33 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Well, if you live in the USA its your Lucky (Or unlucky if you liked that second movie) because KIMAGURE ORANGE ROAD IS COMING TO BLU RAY!

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/statu ... 8846159873
Yeah, someone PM'd me about that earlier.

I like the 2nd movie actually. Have that one on DVD.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3769
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:36 am

Speaking of PM's could you tell me what happens in the Second movie,and why It makes you like Hikaru? I wanna know but I was told the movie's...kinda gross. So if that's not true I need to know.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:25 am

For me Dragon Ball would always have a special place in my heart. But as I grew up I realised that Dragon Ball have a lot of flaw. Still Dragon Ball feel special hence why would I bother got an account on Kenzenshuu lol.

Right now I have so many others manga or anime that I like equally as Dragon Ball. Some are more Seinen that Shonen. Here is a short list of what I have learned to love equally as Dragon Ball.

-The Gundam Franchise
-The Bioboosted Armor Guyver
-s-CRY-ed (Anime version)
-Senki zesshou Symphogear
-The Precure Franchise
-The Macross Franchise
-High School DxD
-Bastard!! (Manga only)
-The Naruto Franchise
-Berserk (Manga only)

With that list you have a certain idea of what I can like the most, also there is one I didn't listed because I wanted to explain better as to why I think this franchise is on par with Dragon Ball. The title is Saint Seiya, in my opinion Saint Seiya does possessed similar aspect as Dragon Ball a convoluted story with some kind of heavy background, both have a strong protagonist, Seiya for the first one and Goku for the later one.

My last point being is that I think both Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya have wrote most of the trope of the Shonen genre, for exemple Bleach in my opinion draw more its inspiration from Saint Seiya than Dragon Ball, in the way of how the Soul Society mirror the Sanctuary, Shinigami equaling Saint and vise versa, some part of Naruto too, with the Ninja organisation.

Naruto for exemple is a good combination between Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball, where Yu Yu Hakusho is more in the ligne of Dragon Ball and later on Hunter x Hunter. Today clearly One Piece is the heir of Dragon Ball whilst Black Clover is more the heir of Saint Seiya.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3769
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:21 am

I did not know you liked Pretty Cure. I'm glad to see one more fan around here.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13293
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:29 am

I don't really think about it. I'll go through periods of being really concentrated on one work, sure, but I don't really give a shit about ranking anything. Right now I'm really invested in Shingeki no Kyojin, Pokemon, Boruto and Dragon Ball. If I had the time of day I'd finish my backlog on Crunchyroll of so many other series, too. :p

Hugtto! PreCure changed my life, though. Well, a lot of things have.
She/Her | Bisexual | Fujoshi | Twitter: JulieYBM

User avatar
Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 760
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:03 am

The Pretty Cure Franchise is just THE Franchise that cheer me up when I'm feeling down. :D
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

User avatar
Taisa732
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:24 am

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Taisa732 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:36 am

It is absolutely!
I've seen the whole series hundreds of times and it's one of the few shows I can start looking at every time I finish it.

I know it's faulty and it's not perfect, but I always want to get back to these characters as often as I have. Even if I find another good show for a while, I will always return to Dragon Ball.
https://twitter.com/Taisa7321

Sorry if my English isn't perfect

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Shinsa » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:05 pm

I've watched my fair share of Shonen animes back in the day and none of them has captured what DB and DBZ has. Dragonball is by no means the best in terms of writing, music and animation compared to many other shows but it just had this magic about it. It came out at the perfect time and has stuck with me through the test of time. Even though I very much dislike Super and don't like the direction of modern DB....I still watch it.

No other Shonen anime has done that for me! I usually don't like Shonen anime sequel series or the any of the modern shows. So it says a lot about how much I like DB to stick with Super...as much as I cringe at the writing and animation.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14019
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:
From modern shonen,I will recommend promised neverland and mob psycho 100.The latter doesn’t has good art,but it’s worth it.One punch man is quite good too.
Attack on Titan is published in Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. While it is darker and more serious than Dragon Ball, MHA and Naruto, but it still feels like it is aim to a pre-teen and teenage audience than something like Fist of the North which is written to kids and young teens but feels more like something aim to adults. I dig the concept of Attack of Titan, but I find the characters unlikable and the story to be too dull at times for me. Attack on Titan gets A for effort, D for execution for me.

I never mention One Punch Man in my post because I know it's Seinen and not Shonen despite being published by Shonen Jump in the US. I do like One Punch Man for what it is and I still read the manga time to time. I do plan on watching Mob Psycho 100 because I did enjoy it from the bits that I have seen of it so far.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3563
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Zephyr » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:21 am

Yes, Dragon Ball is still my favorite boy, and I don't see that ever changing. G Gundam is my next favorite, and that's not exactly primed to ever dethrone Dragon Ball.

SSJgogeto
Regular
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 am

Yes, absolutely.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 am

Yes and to be fair its because I only watched a small part of Inuyasha and Pokemon (until I realized how repetitive it was). I don't know if those two shows are shonen but I don't give a care.

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3954
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:20 am

Inuyasha is Shonen. Not sure about Pokemon, since it originates from a game and not a comic.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
prince212
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 790
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: wild west

Re: Is Dragon Ball still your favorite shonen?

Post by prince212 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 am

Hard to say ... there’s other mangas(Shōnen or seinen) that keep me more intrigued about future events or the ending ... that’s why dragon ball already ended once ... one piece , the promise neverland , attack on titan , o.p.m ..dr.stone ...
But yes dragon ball is my favorite manga , I guess the fact that I read it in real time early 90’ help , when o internet was around and I was going every week to get a new chapter in the book-newspaper store . Nostalgia , because deep inside I think one piece is way more open and have a better story development by far .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Post Reply