DragonBall Z Movies 1-3 (Box Art and Retail Prices Inside)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:18 am

I wonder if there's a boxset of the first three Pioneer versions...

[edit]There are! I find them used for about $33.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:27 pm

My opinion on the cover art? The box doesn't look so great, it looks like the GT boxes all over again. The covers for movies 1-3 look fine to me. Sure, they're not the original covers, but they're stylish and sleek looking....

.... they're just going to look weird next to all of the other DBZ movies on my shelf.

This makes me wonder/shudder(?) what FUNi's doing for the Season One boxset...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:19 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:My opinion on the cover art? The box doesn't look so great, it looks like the GT boxes all over again. The covers for movies 1-3 look fine to me. Sure, they're not the original covers, but they're stylish and sleek looking....

.... they're just going to look weird next to all of the other DBZ movies on my shelf.
Wow, this brings back memories for me. Nearly two years ago, one of my first posts to the board was about this very same complaint!
Regarding the Ultimate Uncut Special Editions, Li'l Lemmy once wrote:. . . in fact the only real problem I have with the re-release at all is that it is so different than the previous releases, since obviously the new and old sets are in conflict and my shelf is going to look like the first third of DBZ is somehow "different" from the rest. I wonder if FUNimation will release new boxes and covers for the other sagas to match these (though that would be admittedly anal for them to sell and equally so for me to buy!)
This basically sums up my feelings about these particular cover designs, as well. It makes you wonder if the movies will end up being re-released under this same format. Personally, I don't think you can get any better with movies 9-13 and their original Japanese cover art, but who knows what horrors FUNimation can think up over the next few years . . . since we all know that with the release of the season sets, they're not going to leave DragonBall alone.

Though when it comes to whatever look they'll use for the first season box set, I don't mind at all (within reason, a-course) what it looks like so long as subsequent sets match up with a consistent look. That's all I ask.

I just want the Z series to look unified on my shelf.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

GokuSoul
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuSoul » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:37 pm

Here is the full ad even though it doesn't really matter(the Goku could make a cool avatar). http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9735/lolaj7.jpg

Anyway I might buy these they look interesting and I haven't seen the japanense version of those movies yet.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:36 pm

The cover art isn't that great but I have the Pioneer DVDs (IMO the superior product) so it doesn't really matter to me.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:43 am

I HATE FUNimation!!!! ME KILL NOW!!!! *goes & preorders the movie box set* :D
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:24 am

I have to admit, the cover art that is released in America looks so "standard". Who didn't see covers like that coming...I saw the Dead Zone and World's Strongest covers and they didn't even remind me of the movies (which the original box arts are good for).. :?
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:11 pm

"Finally released on DVD"?

Oh FUNimation. you and your lies.
Where's the beef?

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:23 pm

Meh, what are you gonna do, just do yourselves a favour and get the originals, it'll save you time, bah, ultimate uncut edition indeed.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:33 pm

I don't care what anybody else says I'm still getting these. I don't even watch the dubs anymore so I'm really looking forward to watching it in the original Japanese with Daimao's excellent subtitles. Not to mention the slightly higher bitrate compared to the older Pioneer releases (of which I also own).

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:33 pm

Mystic Jack wrote:Meh, what are you gonna do, just do yourselves a favour and get the originals, it'll save you time, bah, ultimate uncut edition indeed.
To buy all three Pionner(sp?) DVDs and pay for shipping, wouldn't it cost MORE than the UUE? We're getting 3 DBZ movies for the price they usually charge for one. I think it's nice of FUNimation to release them at such a low price, they could have just released them all seperatley and we'd all spend three times as much. And the finally on DVD part is obviously aimed at FUNimation dub fans, as they're the main audiance.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:31 pm

Taku128 wrote:To buy all three Pionner(sp?) DVDs and pay for shipping, wouldn't it cost MORE than the UUE? We're getting 3 DBZ movies for the price they usually charge for one. I think it's nice of FUNimation to release them at such a low price, they could have just released them all seperatley and we'd all spend three times as much. And the finally on DVD part is obviously aimed at FUNimation dub fans, as they're the main audiance.
Or you could do what I did, look around at local places that might have it used. I found my Pioneer copies of Dead Zone and Tree of Might used at a local GameStop for only $7 each last year.

For those who have FUNi's edition of Dead Zone, they're gonna be stuck with an extra copy if they buy this set. Same as the folks that got stuck with an extra copy of DB movies 3 and 4 when purchasing the set that came with the second movie (that set was more commonly available than the second movie alone).

Btw, retail price for the box set is $29.98. So FUNi's trying to charge you $30 for those three movies, basically. I dunno about you, but $30 is greater than $24. It's only places like Circuit City, Best Buy and Deep Discount DVD that are selling the boxset at a much lower price.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:31 am

Tsukento wrote:(that set was more commonly available than the second movie alone).
It was actually the only way you could get the movie. There was no individual release.