What do you like better,Dragonball super anime or the manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What do you like better,Dragonball super anime or the manga?

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:59 pm

Which one do you prefer and why?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What do you like better,Dragonball super anime or the manga?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:26 pm

I'm not a big fan of the manga, but the anime is outright unwatchable.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 pm

The anime is exponentially better than the manga in my opinion.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:31 am

Wow. These are some pretty polar opinions. Would you two mind elaborating for me? Preferably without spoilers. I’ve only seen the films as of current.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:01 am

I like the movie versions of BOG and RF better than both (minus the ending for RF, Super's 27 did that better). I slightly like the anime's version of Champa's arc more as things were more exciting like Vegeta's fight with Maggeta being taken seriously compared to the short gag version in the manga. Hit in the anime was more of a threat compared to his manga counterpart and despite Goku's Kaioken causing some power issues, it was handled very well here. I do however think the manga knocked it out of the park with the Black arc as Vegeta got an increased role, the final part wasn't rushed, Zamasu didn't turn into 2 Face and Trunks wasn't overpowered to name a few. The manga also did a good job by not taking too long to get to the tournament of power but the actual event has been very disappointing compared to the anime's version.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:39 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Wow. These are some pretty polar opinions. Would you two mind elaborating for me? Preferably without spoilers. I’ve only seen the films as of current.
Ignoring all plot and character issues, of which there are many, the biggest problem with the anime is that it has no respect for the viewer's time. Every line possible is extended as far as it can without pushing past some unclear line of acceptability. Wanna have Zen-Oh interject that something is cool? Sure we can do that, but you know what? Let's have him say it 5 times instead of 1. We can cut to him multiple times during the fight to pad out the runtime. It's okay, he still thinks it's cool.

Oh crap, we still have time to fill out? I know, let's cut to the gods talking about how awesome their fighters are. Now let's do it again. And again. Now let's cut to the U7 guys and see what their reactions are. Then do it again. And again. Let's do that for every single fighter and multiple times for the same characters repeating the same lines, for every one of the 120 fighters.

It was apparent from the beginning. The first thing the Super anime decided to do (with the manga wisely largely skipping over this part) was rehash TWO recent 90-minute movies for 28 episodes with particularly terrible animation and padding. Movies that could have easily been left alone as in-continuity with minor tweaks, taking half a year and over a dozen hours of screen time for an end result that doesn't look as good and bears the burden of all of the horrible writing decisions made to intentionally stretch out to that unnecessary timeframe (does anyone actually like those scenes of Beerus just going around being an asshole and generally less likable?), plus throwing out a self-contained filler arc to pad even that. And all without providing any new worthwhile information at all.

What do you think we should do with that time? Actually explain what the fuck is going on with the plot? Keep the power scale consistent so the conflict has internal logic instead of being totally arbitrary? Elaborate on any of the ideas we've introduced like Toppo abandoning his principles or Tagoma losing what little humanity he had? Get outta here.

The godawful pacing is particularly insulting since the things that the characters are constantly rambling on about and the imagery presented don't actually make any sense to begin with. It serves no purpose but to strain your brain trying to solve a riddle that has no answer and would not be worth the effort even if it did.

This reaches its logical conclusion with the ToP which is a plotless 55 episode filler battle between fodder in which nothing of relevance happens. The Jiren fight alone lasts 13 episodes of the heroes screaming and throwing ineffectual attacks. The most relevant thing that happens prior to the last few episodes is that Roshi threatens to rape a female fighter to get her to resign and tells her it's her fault if she gets raped and made unsuitable as a wife. You can easily cut 2/3 of Super's runtime and not miss anything at all.

Toyotaro is hardly a master wordsmith, but he possesses a basic level of competence that Toei lacks. His structuring is simply better.

Also, in the manga, Zen-Oh is not portrayed as a total moron incapable of counting, his facial expressions vary more than smiling doofus, Jiren has more characterization in two pages than he does in 50 episodes, Vegeta is less of a whiner, fights are won in ways other than "scream and randomly get a hundred times stronger" (contrast their portrayals of Super Saiyan Blue), and Goku isn't portrayed as literally brain-dead as he is in Toei's productions.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 am

I like all the good parts from both.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:01 am

Manga is always my ultimate preference for any series. I dislike anime. Can't bring myself to enjoy it for many reasons; uncontrollable nitpicking being the most prevalent. Both the Super anime and manga, however, are equal in terms of being,... well, shit. Their cons outweigh their pros. Toyotarou's art can become really distracting at times, and this is coming from someone who believes in quantity over quality; thoroughly enjoying anything from the mangaka ONE. The story just doesn't compensate for anything. Toyotarou just isn't ready for the role of being a mangaka, yet.

I will give TOEI credit when it's due; they at least attempt to create something out of the likely direct outline handed to them by Toriyama. Toyotarou, on the other hand, just gives off the vibe that he's afraid of doing just that most of the time, and thus his story suffers as a result.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:26 am

I used to think the manga was the best of two, but 30something chapters in realized, compared to the anime, it's so generic and boring.. now I'm reading and collecting it just because it's DB :shh:

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:36 am

The manga is more consistent and has better power scaling.

The anime is flashier and has more hype moments, but is less consistent and the power scaling is a mess.

If you're more interested in the fights and don't care about plot holes or power scaling the anime is probably better in every way. Also if you've seen the movies then either skip to episode 28 and watch from there, or watch the first 3 episodes and then skip to 28.

The manga and anime are pretty different in some respects so it probably wouldn't hurt to watch the anime and then read the manga.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:19 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:[Lots of text]
Ah, thank you. I guess I'm better off with the comics then, which I own the three that are currently out. I was feeling kinda bad for not buying the animé, but not so much anymore. I'll probably have to get it at some point for collections sake, but I'll ignore it for the time being. The reason I haven't read them yet is cuz I haven't finisht DBZ yet. Excluding what I watcht on Toonami back in 1998~2003, I haven't watcht thru the series. But I'm close!

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:43 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Ah, thank you. I guess I'm better off with the comics then, which I own the three that are currently out. I was feeling kinda bad for not buying the animé, but not so much anymore. I'll probably have to get it at some point for collections sake, but I'll ignore it for the time being. The reason I haven't read them yet is cuz I haven't finisht DBZ yet. Excluding what I watcht on Toonami back in 1998~2003, I haven't watcht thru the series. But I'm close!
The person who posted that clearly hates the anime, not to mention that most of things he stated as reasons to not watch it are that big of a deal and are minor nuisances, heck from what I've seen even a lot of people who like the manga waaay better than the anime have said that the last arc is better in the anime, due to the manga rushing through it because of the upcoming movie. Personally I find the anime much more enjoyable. The manga almost feels like it assumes that you've watched the anime, it changes things for the sake of being different and doesn't explain certain things as well as they were in the anime(though the anime can be bad at explaining things as well). Trust me if you don't plan on viewing both a good idea would be to both read/watch the universe 6 arc and compare the two versions.

The manga plays it too safe at times, and comes off as boring 90% of the time, and while the anime can be the same, the best moments are sooooo much better in the anime than the manga. While I enjoy both, I mainly just treat the manga as just a side thing to enjoy alongside the anime. Also though this may just be the case of me having already seen the anime, but when reading the manga, for the most part it isn't ever hype inducing, it's just okay. Probably the best way of describing them is that the manga is consistently okay, compared to the anime which goes from bad to the best the series has to offer. I might be somewhat biased towards the anime though...

Sorry, a lot of this is me rambling. Though if you could give some insight about what you like about in Dragon Ball, it'd make it easier to tell you which version you'd prefer.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
I don't think you should decide whether to watch/read or not because of others opinions mate, I encourage you to watch/read through everything then you see what you like better from your own perspective lol

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:01 am

Kurakaio wrote:The person who posted that clearly hates the anime, not to mention that most of things he stated as reasons to not watch it are that big of a deal and are minor nuisances, heck from what I've seen even a lot of people who like the manga waaay better than the anime have said that the last arc is better in the anime, due to the manga rushing through it because of the upcoming movie. Personally I find the anime much more enjoyable. The manga almost feels like it assumes that you've watched the anime, it changes things for the sake of being different and doesn't explain certain things as well as they were in the anime(though the anime can be bad at explaining things as well). Trust me if you don't plan on viewing both a good idea would be to both read/watch the universe 6 arc and compare the two versions.

The manga plays it too safe at times, and comes off as boring 90% of the time, and while the anime can be the same, the best moments are sooooo much better in the anime than the manga. While I enjoy both, I mainly just treat the manga as just a side thing to enjoy alongside the anime. Also though this may just be the case of me having already seen the anime, but when reading the manga, for the most part it isn't ever hype inducing, it's just okay. Probably the best way of describing them is that the manga is consistently okay, compared to the anime which goes from bad to the best the series has to offer. I might be somewhat biased towards the anime though...

Sorry, a lot of this is me rambling. Though if you could give some insight about what you like about in Dragon Ball, it'd make it easier to tell you which version you'd prefer.
I guess I like the characters, the story, the voice actors, Toriyama's artwork, and the music...aside from the new movies and DBGT. The music was boring and/or generic. And with so many of the voice actors having passt away by this point, I'm not sure how I'd feel about watching it with their replacements. That's why I'm hoping for a good alternate English dub one day. But I guess it's still got Nozawa and Tanaka, so I could probably still watch it. If the music's bad, tho, that'd be hard... But then again, how it handels the characters and story is pacing. RandomGuy96's explanation made it sound quite a bit like Naruto, where you'd watch a fite, and then a character who was also watching the same fite as you starts...telling another character who ALSO just watcht the exact same fite exactly what happened in it, even tho the person they're telling saw it and doesn't need the recap...and WE (the viewers) don't need the recap either. We JUST watcht it. >_> So if it's like that, I'm not sure it's watchable for me. I was literally just yesterday telling a friend that the filler in DB isn't bad like that. DB always made it hard to tell what was filler and what wasn't.

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Kurakaio wrote:The person who posted that clearly hates the anime, not to mention that most of things he stated as reasons to not watch it are that big of a deal and are minor nuisances, heck from what I've seen even a lot of people who like the manga waaay better than the anime have said that the last arc is better in the anime, due to the manga rushing through it because of the upcoming movie. Personally I find the anime much more enjoyable. The manga almost feels like it assumes that you've watched the anime, it changes things for the sake of being different and doesn't explain certain things as well as they were in the anime(though the anime can be bad at explaining things as well). Trust me if you don't plan on viewing both a good idea would be to both read/watch the universe 6 arc and compare the two versions.

I guess I like the characters, the story, the voice actors, Toriyama's artwork, and the music...aside from the new movies and DBGT. The music was boring and/or generic. And with so many of the voice actors having passt away by this point, I'm not sure how I'd feel about watching it with their replacements. That's why I'm hoping for a good alternate English dub one day. But I guess it's still got Nozawa and Tanaka, so I could probably still watch it. If the music's bad, tho, that'd be hard... But then again, how it handels the characters and story is pacing. RandomGuy96's explanation made it sound quite a bit like Naruto, where you'd watch a fite, and then a character who was also watching the same fite as you starts...telling another character who ALSO just watcht the exact same fite exactly what happened in it, even tho the person they're telling saw it and doesn't need the recap...and WE (the viewers) don't need the recap either. We JUST watcht it. >_> So if it's like that, I'm not sure it's watchable for me. I was literally just yesterday telling a friend that the filler in DB isn't bad like that. DB always made it hard to tell what was filler and what wasn't.
The art/animation is inconsistent. It's bad for the recaps. The U6 arc is okay to great at the end. Then afterwards it fluctuates from good to amazing, especially in the last arc.

The music is great, though you'd have to listen to it yourself.

How it handles characters... it depends on what you consider handling them good would be. Goku is dumber in Supee, but he has some great moments. Vegeta's character is fine, Some people say he regressed back to his cell arc self, but they're over exaggerating. The main thing with vegeta is that he is still trying to surpass Goku, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, not to mention that there are so many good moments with him showing how much he's changed. As for the rest of the characters, well as you expect most of them aren't very relevant at all, except for the last arc, but everyone in that arc is treated pretty well, barring Tien and maybe Krillin.

The pacing is a bit mixed as well, but the manga has the same issues regarding that. The pacing of the arcs are pretty good, it's just that the last arc goes to Z levels of pacing in that the arc is literally the length of an arc in Z.

That naruto thing you mentioned is only in the last arc, and while it happens quite frequently, it's not THAT bad. Plus there there are plenty of episodes where there's very little of it or none at all. It is definitely no where near as bad as Naruto. Plus not all of it is just recapping what happened.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 am

Manga is much better imo.
Anime is unwatchable and ToP is disaster.

As much as i hate Fused Zamasu in anime his manga version isn't that bad. He looks a lot better and isn't that annoying.
Entire concept of "infinite Zamasu" was also a lot more interesting despite being Metal Cooler ripoff.

ToP arc is better because it doesn't waste time for character i would never care about. Everything is faster and all the irrelevant universes are already gone. No wasting time for unbearable episodes like Roshi vs some random waifu girl. Not to mention entire scene of Kefla's birth which was generic af in anime ("oh Goku is about to finish us let's fuse"). Manga actually did it more intereseting and gave Kale something she never had before - personality.

Also, manga doesn't have Broly with lipstick and two of the worst transformations in franchise - SSJ Rage and SSJB Evolution.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:05 am

Don't we have a thread for this?

Personally, I find both of the manga and anime very enjoyable in their own regards. I find the anime are more fleshed out product, but I also find quite inconsistent at times, wither it be in visual quality or narrative structure. The manga works extremely well at trimming out the fat and getting straight to the point, but that can sometime work as a detriment to the storytelling, as there's sometimes not enough character development or proper characterization.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 am

Prefer the manga as other characters have more time to shine, the characterization is vastly improved over the anime, and the fights for most of it are generally more entertaining and creative.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:52 am

To me, the anime is god-awful drivel that's actually a rather fascinating case of failure, but not something I'd willingly subject myself to any more of than I already have just so I can examine how much it flounders.

Meanwhile, the manga is a fun little thing to enjoy for 10 minutes a month, and while it doesn't really compare to what Dragon Ball was, it's a fun little distraction. I certainly enjoy it for what it is.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:26 pm

First of all I must say I actually like the story of Super as a whole, which is basically the key points of it written by Toriyama.
Unfortunately it wasn't Toriyama who executed Super, so we ended up with two products that can't fullfill the true potential of the outlines in my opinion.
The anime in my eyes has fullfilled the potential of said outlines more times, with some amazing episodes all around it, which were unfortunately surrounded by other mediocre ones or were sort of ruined by bad art and animation, and in general by the bad designs of Yamamuro and the poor choices for colors.
It's such a shame the anime has had to suffer from a bad schedule, as its effects have lasted until the last episode.

On the other hand is the manga. I am absolutely fine with it, despite it suffering from some poor drawings and messed anatomy, the cluttered boards and Toyotaro mostly doing worse than what the anime as far as the story goes. But I wouldn't have minded it at all if the anime was exactly like the manga. Also, while I mostly prefer how the anime team handled the stories, I still have to give props to Toyotaro for characterizing his characters well and coherently throughout the manga, and he also had some very nice ideas I would have wanted to see the anime using. He also doesn't like to spam signature ki attacks like the anime does, in fact he even came up with a new technique for Vegeta that I loved. He also doesn't relying on new transformations or visual power-ups as much as the anime did, which again is a huge bonus of the manga.

The best Super story is found in the middle of both the anime and manga for me, a sort of fusion between the two products which takes the best out of the both. Unfortunately such a thing isn't possible, and I find myself having to go through lots of episodes to watch the story I prefer, even though I would prefer to speed through a reading of the manga.

Luckily it seems like the anime is now on a hiatus so that they can focus on bringing us a better product in the future, realized with more time and a healthy production, and with some new gorgeous designs and colors that literally bring the original manga to life. We are also getting a Toriyama written movie with said designs, so I am very positive about Super's future going forward.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical