Times characters forgot about their powers

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kurakaio

Re: Times characters forgot about their powers

Post by Kurakaio » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:03 pm

Apslup wrote:My main one is the fact that Kuririn (or any character for that matter) didn't use the Kienzan more often (especially during the Saiyan and Frieza Sagas) because the Kienzan can basically cut through anything (with the only villains not being effected by it being Buu and Cell because of their regeneration abilities).

Also how they forgot that you can split Senzu Beans in half and they basically have the same effect as eating a whole one (the only time I remember this happening is when Gohan and Kuririn doing so in the Saiyan Saga around the time Goku showed up). I mean it would have been really handy since they seem to lack Senzu Beans a lot of the time.
Well the the Kienzan doesn't seem to work if the enemy is too strong shown with Cell(filler) and Jiren.(anime only)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Piccolo forgetting he can given people clothes with magic.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:42 am

Apslup wrote:
Vijay wrote:1. Goku forgetting he could turn SSJ2 or even SSJ3 in GT's 1st Arc

Dude would've cleared almost 90% of foes with those powers
True, but Goku's child body couldn't handle SSJ3 for more than a few minutes (not sure about SSJ2 though).

I mean the main reason Toei chose to make Goku a child in GT was because they felt he was far too powerful
I'd like to disagree. Main reason why TOEI chose to make Goku chibi was to market GT (Grand Tour) in similar veins of original DB which was dragonball searching adventurous journey...albeit its in space.

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:09 pm

When's the last time Piccolo used his giant form?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Piccolo's superhuman hearing seemed to disappear when Super Buu was maneuvering bits of goo to absorb him and Gotenks with a "ZUU... ZLUP" noise audible enough that Toriyama had to draw it as a sound effect bubble.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Goku forgetting he's got KK and the Kamehameha when he basically blows Jiren out of the stadium.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:04 pm

Perfect Cell never considering to use Kaioken against SSJ2 Gohan. He said he could use the Spirit Bomb, then he should know had to use Kaioken as well.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:13 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Piccolo's superhuman hearing seemed to disappear when Super Buu was maneuvering bits of goo to absorb him and Gotenks with a "ZUU... ZLUP" noise audible enough that Toriyama had to draw it as a sound effect bubble.
Especially because Mr Satan was right there going "what is that??!!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Piccolo forgetting he can given people clothes with magic.
I dont think that was ever forgotten, at least in Z.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:21 am

Gohan basically forgot he could turn ssj2 vs dabura...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 am

Non-canon, but the Path to Power movie they're getting on Oolong's case about not turning into a key including Puar who didn't even attempt to, even though he actually graduated shapeshifting school. He just yells at Oolong that he sucks. (In the dub, the Japanese, he just chastised as he didn't turn into a key).

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 am

Remember when Piccolo was trying to reach for Goku's hand while he was in the grip of Lord Slug? He could have just stretched his arm.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:02 am

coola wrote:Piccolo stretching arms, except 23rd Budokai and Movies, he never used that ability.
Funnily enough I was watching Kai for something else and Piccolo uses it momentarily to pull Frieza into the water after having just been punched down to it.
Ssjcell wrote:Gohan basically forgot he could turn ssj2 vs dabura...
I always chalked that up to Gohan slacking on his training; it's possible he just couldn't do it anymore at that point.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:39 am

KBABZ wrote:
coola wrote:Piccolo stretching arms, except 23rd Budokai and Movies, he never used that ability.
Funnily enough I was watching Kai for something else and Piccolo uses it momentarily to pull Frieza into the water after having just been punched down to it.
I always chalked that up to Gohan slacking on his training; it's possible he just couldn't do it anymore at that point.
He just did it with ease like an hour prior dude

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Ssjcell wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
SSJ2? Against whom? (it's been a while)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:21 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I always chalked that up to Gohan slacking on his training; it's possible he just couldn't do it anymore at that point.
Kibito at the World Tournament.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Xeogran wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Ssjcell wrote: He just did it with ease like an hour prior dude
Kibito at the World Tournament.
Ah! Got me there:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:32 am

Cipher wrote:Kame-sennin forgot he could single-handedly beat Raditz.

Talk about a screw-up!
He wasn't able to defeat Raditz back then, he offered Goku that he and Krillin will join him in the fight to save Gohan. Piccolo dismissed that and replied he'll tag-in instead, stating Roshi and Krillin are "weaklings".

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:34 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:I wouldn't say the characters forgot but they were written as to not use their powers. Goku in Dragon Ball GT didn't use it sometimes because the series at first seemed like a remake of Dragon Ball in Space with limited fighting capabilities, even SSJ4 Goku had probs with a building.
Yes this is exactly how I see the first arc
No I think it is just bad writing.

Anyway as for the topic:

Trunks used the KHH in Movie 11 so he must have forgotten to use it every other time he fought ever..... :D :D

Goku reading Krillin's mind on Namek and literally never doing it ever again.

Piccolo's Clothes Beam

Lunch forgot that she existed so I guess that counts too

Ginyu not taking any Earthling's body on Earth and instead staying a frog the entire time until Freeza shows up again.

Goku forgetting how to exert strength whatsoever when that building was falling on him in GT

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:55 pm

PFM18 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:I wouldn't say the characters forgot but they were written as to not use their powers. Goku in Dragon Ball GT didn't use it sometimes because the series at first seemed like a remake of Dragon Ball in Space with limited fighting capabilities, even SSJ4 Goku had probs with a building.
Yes this is exactly how I see the first arc
No I think it is just bad writing.

Anyway as for the topic:

Trunks used the KHH in Movie 11 so he must have forgotten to use it every other time he fought ever..... :D :D

Goku reading Krillin's mind on Namek and literally never doing it ever again.

Piccolo's Clothes Beam

Lunch forgot that she existed so I guess that counts too

Ginyu not taking any Earthling's body on Earth and instead staying a frog the entire time until Freeza shows up again.

Goku forgetting how to exert strength whatsoever when that building was falling on him in GT
Ginyu needs someone to say the word 'change'. Without Bulma building a frog translator device or someone like Tagoma who can read alien script, he's out of luck.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147