When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:30 pm

DB/Z/GT are already available in numerous digital streaming services but not Netflix. What's the hold up?

User avatar
TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Because Funimation knows us marks will pay cold hard cash for individual releases 8)

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3736
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:38 pm

Its not up to Funimation. Toei has to give the green light, and they never will. They still believe in linear television ESPECIALLY for Dragon Ball.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3574
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F are on Netflix UK, so I don't think Toei are totally averse to streaming... I don't think the series would be on the cards any time soon, though.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3736
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:38 pm

That's Fox doing it for them. And you can bet there will come a point where the Disney merger will kill even that.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3574
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:That's Fox doing it for them. And you can bet there will come a point where the Disney merger will kill even that.
Fox doing it for them - That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification there, I did wonder why the movies were a special case, to the point that MangaUK specifically said so themselves.

"Disney merger will kill even that" - Most of the MCU movies are currently on Netflix, presumably the newer Dragon Ball movies are doing pretty well... I see no reason for Disney to kill the deal. The Disney-Fox merger isn't a bad thing because of Disney being some big scary evil entity, they're actually a perfectly fine company who do some good things and some bad things, mostly in the name of profit, as you'll see in any other company. The danger of the Disney-Fox merger is monopolisation; at this point, Disney will probably own every one of the top 10 grossing films in a given year, possibly even more than that. The Disney-Fox merger will, to the average person, only seem like a good thing, since we'll get crossover material like X-Men in the Avengers, for instance... But, to those aware of the larger impact of all this, it'll be pretty bad for the various industries it involves, really. Worst case scenario, Disney puts those movies on their streaming service... Which isn't in the UK yet, and if every other non-Netflix, non-Amazon streaming service is any indication, it's not going to move over here to the UK.
So, no, Disney isn't going to take away our movies because of the Fox merger. Spreading silliness like that will only de-emphasise the harm the merger is actually doing/going to do.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1799
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F are on Netflix UK, so I don't think Toei are totally averse to streaming... I don't think the series would be on the cards any time soon, though.
I'd have to guess Battle of Gods and Resurrection F got on Netflix because Sky Cinema aired them first, much like how for the series linear television gets priority over home video. UK TV was probably skipped for Super because every channel turned it down for being "too violent" :roll: . As for the series on Netflix, it will probably happen eventually, maybe to promote an international Blu-Ray release of TOEI's new remasters (if and when they do the series, although I think they will).
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Funimation Level 1.2 Replacement Cover
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3574
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:58 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F are on Netflix UK, so I don't think Toei are totally averse to streaming... I don't think the series would be on the cards any time soon, though.
I'd have to guess Battle of Gods and Resurrection F got on Netflix because Sky Cinema aired them first, much like how for the series linear television gets priority over home video. UK TV was probably skipped for Super because every channel turned it down for being "too violent" :roll: . As for the series on Netflix, it will probably happen eventually, maybe to promote an international Blu-Ray release of TOEI's new remasters (if and when they do the series, although I think they will).
See above. It will have been because Fox did it. Toei Europe have an existential fear of the concept of internet streaming -- they'd never let the series hit Netflix.

As for the series on UK TV, UK broadcasters are just not interested in anime.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:14 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:Because Funimation knows us marks will pay cold hard cash for individual releases 8)
I get that but I'd rather just load up Netflix and watch it. These days I don't feel much like buying much physical media anymore.

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:26 pm

A big factor might be Funimation's streaming sevice, but that hasn't stopped the franchise from appearing on other streaming platforms..
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
Puto
I Live Here
Posts: 2660
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 am
Location: Portugal, Oeiras
Contact:

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Puto » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its not up to Funimation. Toei has to give the green light, and they never will. They still believe in linear television ESPECIALLY for Dragon Ball.
...and yet the series is on Netflix in Japan.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3736
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:54 am

Toei Japan isnt the same as Toei outside of Japan.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:31 am

Puto wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its not up to Funimation. Toei has to give the green light, and they never will. They still believe in linear television ESPECIALLY for Dragon Ball.
...and yet the series is on Netflix in Japan.
And in the United States Dragon Ball and GT are on hulu.


This whole Toei doesn’t believe in streaming services is a complete bunk. Plenty of Toei series are on Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll.

Also I’m pretty sure any Dragon Ball series not being on Netflix in North America would be up to Funimation as they hold the license there.

Blondiebear_17
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 am

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Should it be on Netflix? I mean I like Netflix but titles come and go from their site all the time. In my opinion its best to subscribe to the Funimation streaming service or buy the sets.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:56 am

Blondiebear_17 wrote:Should it be on Netflix? I mean I like Netflix but titles come and go from their site all the time. In my opinion its best to subscribe to the Funimation streaming service or buy the sets.
There's always something to watch on Netflix regardless that some content is taken off for new one to be added whereas FUNimation Now, if you're only interested in the Dragon Ball series they have then that's not much of an incentive. Buying the physical sets isn't really the point since this is about streaming.

Blondiebear_17
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 am

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:24 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Blondiebear_17 wrote:Should it be on Netflix? I mean I like Netflix but titles come and go from their site all the time. In my opinion its best to subscribe to the Funimation streaming service or buy the sets.
There's always something to watch on Netflix regardless that some content is taken off for new one to be added whereas FUNimation Now, if you're only interested in the Dragon Ball series they have then that's not much of an incentive. Buying the physical sets isn't really the point since this is about streaming.
Well Netflix isn't the end all be all especially now that they seem to be focusing more on original content these days there is always something to watch but you can't be choosy is the problem you need to go into Netflix willing to watch whatever. In my opinion Netflix doesn't have much of a selection for anime and never has seems like they kind of want to compete with services like Crunchyroll and what not but people don't really go there for that. In my opinion Hulu is really underrated and has much more to offer as far as anime goes. I mention Funimation Now because it's very cheap and it gives you access to similar shows much like Netflix if you subscribe to it then you will find other things to watch. Even if you are just wanting to watch Dragon Ball it's still a good deal and if you honestly can't find a few more things to watch to make it worth it then I'm sorry for suggesting it but I thought it was worth mentioning.

User avatar
MasenkoHA
I Live Here
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:28 pm

The problem with FunimationNow is the app is shit.


At least Hulu has Dragon Ball.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:At least Hulu has Dragon Ball.
I remember the days when Hulu was free to watch with ads but now they've gone the Netflix route, except Hulu isn't as compelling or exciting to have as is it with a Netflix catalog. Daredevil: Season 3 is coming out soon enough (October 19) and other originals (Flaked) and semi-originals always fun to watch (Arrested Development) that I quite enjoy.

FUNimation will eventually give in and spread Dragon Ball to the Netflix library too.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3736
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:11 pm

Toei. While I do admit I was wrong that Toei was against Netflix its ultimately up to them.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: When/will Dragon Ball, Z, GT, Kai and the Movies be on Netflix (US, namely)?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Toei. While I do admit I was wrong that Toei was against Netflix its ultimately up to them.
TOEI? Are you sure?

This seems like FUNimation's decision where it goes up. It's on Amazon, iTunes, Hulu, Microsoft Video Store, PlayStation Video Store and FUNimation Now. Strangely not on the Play Store nor Netflix, which are two extremely popular services.

Post Reply