Stand out performances in otherwise mediocre dubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Stand out performances in otherwise mediocre dubs

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:40 am

Meridith Mccoy in the original in-house Funi dub

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:56 am

ABED wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Brian Drummond in the Westwood dub. I didn't enjoy his performance as much as in the Saban era because he couldn't go all out with the psychotic stuff due to Vegeta calming down as a character. Having said that he still manages to deliver a decent performance which is a more grounded version of his earlier Vegeta. I still prefer Sabat as the more calm and collected Vegeta, but Drummond does a decent job of it too.
Vegeta was at his most psychotic in those earlier episodes. I don't understand your point.
My point? :? I'm saying that I like Drummond's Vegeta a lot more during those early episodes when the story allowed him to play Vegeta as a maniac, but I still think his later performance stands above the other Westwood dub performances. Basically I think his good guy Vegeta is decent, but feels a little underwhelming compared to his villainous Vegeta.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:24 am

90sDBZ wrote:
ABED wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Brian Drummond in the Westwood dub. I didn't enjoy his performance as much as in the Saban era because he couldn't go all out with the psychotic stuff due to Vegeta calming down as a character. Having said that he still manages to deliver a decent performance which is a more grounded version of his earlier Vegeta. I still prefer Sabat as the more calm and collected Vegeta, but Drummond does a decent job of it too.
Vegeta was at his most psychotic in those earlier episodes. I don't understand your point.
My point? :? I'm saying that I like Drummond's Vegeta a lot more during those early episodes when the story allowed him to play Vegeta as a maniac, but I still think his later performance stands above the other Westwood dub performances. Basically I think his good guy Vegeta is decent, but feels a little underwhelming compared to his villainous Vegeta.
My bad. Sorry, for whatever reason, I read that as "I didn't enjoy his performance as much IN". I didn't see the second "as" which clearly changes the entire meaning. I read it several times and somehow skipped over that word.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:52 pm

The guy that played Ginyu in the Ocean dub was great. Sorta surprised to see the love for Dale Kelly's Ginyu from the in-house Funi dub. I thought he was actually one of the worst voices from that initial cast(and that's saying something!). To each his own!.

As other's have said, James Marsters feels like a professional in a sea of amateurs.

I always enjoyed Chris Rager's Mr. Satan. He sounds like an 80's pro wrestler...which is pretty much what he is.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:33 pm

I think Drummond played Vegeta in the Westwood portion just fine. His performance is better than Sabat's Vegeta hands down back then. Drummond is a great actor and very versatile and was far ahead of many of his peers. Sabat has caught up to him, especially in Dragon Ball roles these days.
The guy that played Ginyu in the Ocean dub was great. Sorta surprised to see the love for Dale Kelly's Ginyu from the in-house Funi dub. I thought he was actually one of the worst voices from that initial cast(and that's saying something!). To each his own!.
Yeah, Ocean Ginyu is fantastic. A perfect fit. Personally, I really love Dale Kelly's take on it, which is completely the opposite of his predecessor's take. However, both are equally Ginyu. I'd say look up Dale Kelly again, and he outshines everyone around him at the time. I'd still say his role still stands pretty well today except his first episode. Watch his performance during the fight with Krillin and Gohan and you will see he does a fine job. It was an absolute downgrade to have Brice play Ginyu. The energy wasn't there anymore.
I always enjoyed Chris Rager's Mr. Satan. He sounds like an 80's pro wrestler...which is pretty much what he is.
Yeah he's great. So is Babidi's voice actor.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:59 pm

I think Kelamis' screams were on-point but his overall acting needed some work. Probably the best English (and foreign) Goku though.

I quite like Bang Zoom's Kuririn and Bulma. Their Freeza isn't bad either, although not as good as Chris. I like Whis, too.

Shout-out to Marsters as well, even if he started off on the wrong foot with Xenoverse 2.

Henrique Feist may be known for his Goku voice in the Portuguese dub, but I think his best work is Trunks, even if his Goku isn't all that bad. Spínola is good as Vegeta, too, much prefer him to Loy.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:45 pm

I already mentioned Drummond's Westwood Vegeta and I just remembered his Vegito voice which deserves a mention too. That voice he uses suits the character and sounds like a believable midway point between his Vegeta and Kirby Morrow's Goku. I think it's actually pretty close to his normal speaking voice. In any case it sounds good.

Also the main trio of Kid Goku, Trunks and Pan all sound good compared to most of the Blue Water GT voices. Zoe Sulsar was actually not a bad Kid Goku and was good in OG DB too.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:53 pm

TheBigBoy wrote: I always enjoyed Chris Rager's Mr. Satan. He sounds like an 80's pro wrestler...which is pretty much what he is.
Can't believe I forgot to list this one. Mr. Satan was my favorite voice in Funi's original dub.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:55 pm

TheBigBoy wrote: As other's have said, James Marsters feels like a professional in a sea of amateurs.
I have a co-worker friend who refused to believe me when I told him Emmy Rossum is actually a fantastic actor if you ever watched her outside of Dragon Ball Evolution

Then we got in a disagreement about writing and directing and its impact on acting

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:08 pm

I'll also say that despite the scripts, most of the Ocean performances were fine.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'll also say that despite the scripts, most of the Ocean performances were fine.
Well they did have the best English Goku, Gohan, Bulma, and Piccolo...

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I'll also say that despite the scripts, most of the Ocean performances were fine.
I'm more partial to Monica Rial's version, although she did irritate me at times.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
I'm more partial to Monica Rial's version, although she did irritate me at times.
Lalaina and Monica are neck and neck. I only slightly prefer Lalaina. Both are leaps and bounds better than Tiffany

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:20 pm

David Squatch Ward's voice alone is amazing.

I've always liked Brice Armstrong.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:27 pm

ABED wrote:David Squatch Ward's voice alone is amazing.

I've always liked Brice Armstrong.
Yeah, Brice Armstrong's voice is great. I loved his Lord Slug.

I don't recall much of the Cooler movie dubs, but Andrew Chandler was awesome as Cooler.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:36 pm

Well they were experienced voice actors and not a bunch of people hired off the street so yeah. I would love to see the series dubbed with the ocean cast with the same production as seen in Pioneer's work in movies 1-3.

One more thing, we all love Scott Mcneil's Piccolo, right? He just sounds so damn COOL. He also has this awesome, demonic sounding scream. I think he uses it as Jeice too during the Ginyu Force introduction.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Yes. Even though Sabat perfected his Piccolo in Kai, Scott Mcneil is still the best. I really don’t think there’s a bad
Ocean voice actor at least in the Saban days.

Even if you don’t like Pauline Newstone’s Frieza, for example,the performance itself is sufficient even if she was miscast. Opposed to Linda Young who was miscast and just did an awful job (no offense)

Its a shame the Ocean cast was poorly directed during the Westwood years

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Yes. Even though Sabat perfected his Piccolo in Kai, Scott Mcneil is still the best. I really don’t think there’s a bad
Ocean voice actor at least in the Saban days.

Even if you don’t like Pauline Newstone’s Frieza, for example,the performance itself is sufficient even if she was miscast. Opposed to Linda Young who was miscast and just did an awful job (no offense)

Its a shame the Ocean cast was poorly directed during the Westwood years
I thought that Tien's VA was quite cringy. Then again, none of Tien's English VA's do it for me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:06 am

I like John Burgmeier, even with the rasp.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:45 pm

ABED wrote:I like John Burgmeier, even with the rasp.
He sounded a lot better without it.