Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:20 pm
Forte224 wrote:The only thing I have against the broadcast audio is if you're listening to it with headphones, there's this annoying buzzing sound that sort of hums in the background sometimes (often) when characters talk.
Filtering can cut it back by quite a lot, and if we can get superior sources(As we have done for Z episodes 51 and 95), it'll be totally gone.
Forte224 wrote:That said, yeah I doubt too many people will argue that the muffled DBox audio is better. It can only really be chalked up to a purist thing I suppose or whatever. That broadcast audio sounds so nice. If only we had it for the whole series. You know, like nearly every other show ever has by default.
Really, there's no contest; broadcast audio is just strictly better. Even in aspects that the broadcast audio is flawed, various forms of filtering combined with the fact multiple sources -- including the optical -- can be combined in various ways, gives a lot of options to minimise, maybe even remove, the flaws that some seem to nitpick about.
And also, we do have it for the whole Z series, it's just not publicly available(Well... Certain piracy sites have leaked compressed lossy copies of the lesser sources, but...). Most of DB has yet to be attained, though about 20 episodes have been gathered from various sources so far, all of which I believe have been passed onto Funimation. GT is interesting, since Toei still has the master audio, and in fact Funimation may also have a copy of it that they haven't been aware of thus far.
You don’t have episodes 30, 31, and a bunch of others in Fuji without buzzing?! I guess .. I’ll have to upload those for everyone like I’ve done everything else. :thumbup:
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:03 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 am
Robo4900 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:20 pm
Forte224 wrote:The only thing I have against the broadcast audio is if you're listening to it with headphones, there's this annoying buzzing sound that sort of hums in the background sometimes (often) when characters talk.
Filtering can cut it back by quite a lot, and if we can get superior sources(As we have done for Z episodes 51 and 95), it'll be totally gone.
Forte224 wrote:That said, yeah I doubt too many people will argue that the muffled DBox audio is better. It can only really be chalked up to a purist thing I suppose or whatever. That broadcast audio sounds so nice. If only we had it for the whole series. You know, like nearly every other show ever has by default.
Really, there's no contest; broadcast audio is just strictly better. Even in aspects that the broadcast audio is flawed, various forms of filtering combined with the fact multiple sources -- including the optical -- can be combined in various ways, gives a lot of options to minimise, maybe even remove, the flaws that some seem to nitpick about.
And also, we do have it for the whole Z series, it's just not publicly available(Well... Certain piracy sites have leaked compressed lossy copies of the lesser sources, but...). Most of DB has yet to be attained, though about 20 episodes have been gathered from various sources so far, all of which I believe have been passed onto Funimation. GT is interesting, since Toei still has the master audio, and in fact Funimation may also have a copy of it that they haven't been aware of thus far.
You don’t have episodes 30, 31, and a bunch of others in Fuji without buzzing?! I guess .. I’ll have to upload those for everyone like I’ve done everything else. :thumbup:
If you're gonna finish what you started, just do it. Bragging and dangling stuff in front of peoples' faces will just have everyone rolling their eyes; everyone who's ever refused to share has always done this game of bragging and teasing, so unless there's action to back it up, no one cares anymore.

So, no offense, but -- actions, not words.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 838
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am
Location: West Virginia USA

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:52 pm
There's that, and then there's people like me, who busted our asses trying to get this audio into official hands, only to find that not only do Toei continue to have no interest, but Funi have ended up also having no interest. Feels like kind of a slap in the face after all the shit(ty people) we went through.
Oof, I was so focused on the official side of things that I had completely forgotten and overlooked the fans efforts in all of this, thanks for reminding me about that.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 pm

Wow, it seems Toei really is a backwards as hell company because you would think that they'd be pleased and moved to tears about fans going through such labor of love efforts as this to get the show with the level of crystal clear sound quality it was broadcast with. But no, apparently they don't care at all which is really sad. True, the original master audio tapes for the original DB series and Z were junked after their respective runs on Japanese TV concluded but to them apparently these types of things don't matter at all even with the amount of passionate fans tracking down these broadcast recordings.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:44 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 pm
Wow, it seems Toei really is a backwards as hell company because you would think that they'd be pleased and moved to tears about fans going through such labor of love efforts as this to get the show with the level of crystal clear sound quality it was broadcast with. But no, apparently they don't care at all which is really sad. True, the original master audio tapes for the original DB series and Z were junked after their respective runs on Japanese TV concluded but to them apparently these types of things don't matter at all even with the amount of passionate fans tracking down these broadcast recordings.
It's rather sobering to realise how little these companies actually care about the art, and the fans.

I'll forever be grateful that Chris Sabat listened, and gladly took the copies of the audio that have been offered to him; like the rest of the talent side of this, he definitely cares about the fans, about the show, etc. etc.
But the business side? The guys who actually make the decisions on the home video?... They don't give a rat's ass. They never have.
You need only look at how bad home video of Dragon Ball has been on both sides to see this.

People praise the Dragon Box, but that's only because it's the least-bad complete release of the show; it's still got colour issues, awful dark detail, tons of crushing on either the light or dark side, some episodes are framed improperly so portions of the screen go off the film frame, even going into the edge of the previous frame for much of one particular episode, the sound quality is bloody awful (yes, even for optical it's bad; some decent EQing can make the optical sound significantly less bad, but there's been no attempt at this on the DBox), the scanning was only done at standard-def, there's authoring incompetence that lead to the vertical lines of pixels at the very left and very right being distorted or simply not present, and some encoding issues render a couple of episodes really ugly-looking, and some of the interlacing wasn't flagged properly...
And I need not go into all the myriad ways Funi has ruined their home video releases over the past 15 years.

Funi and Toei really don't care. Unless the fans make some kind of big stink, and vote with their wallets, and unify behind these issues, Funi and Toei will continue to take advantage of their position and screw us over. And so far, the fans have just kind of rolled over... Which, in fairness, is a natural reaction to us being continually screwed over since 1995.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:44 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 pm
Wow, it seems Toei really is a backwards as hell company because you would think that they'd be pleased and moved to tears about fans going through such labor of love efforts as this to get the show with the level of crystal clear sound quality it was broadcast with. But no, apparently they don't care at all which is really sad. True, the original master audio tapes for the original DB series and Z were junked after their respective runs on Japanese TV concluded but to them apparently these types of things don't matter at all even with the amount of passionate fans tracking down these broadcast recordings.
It's rather sobering to realise how little these companies actually care about the art, and the fans.

I'll forever be grateful that Chris Sabat listened, and gladly took the copies of the audio that have been offered to him; like the rest of the talent side of this, he definitely cares about the fans, about the show, etc. etc.
But the business side? The guys who actually make the decisions on the home video?... They don't give a rat's ass. They never have.
You need only look at how bad home video of Dragon Ball has been on both sides to see this.

People praise the Dragon Box, but that's only because it's the least-bad complete release of the show; it's still got colour issues, awful dark detail, tons of crushing on either the light or dark side, some episodes are framed improperly so portions of the screen go off the film frame, even going into the edge of the previous frame for much of one particular episode, the sound quality is bloody awful (yes, even for optical it's bad; some decent EQing can make the optical sound significantly less bad, but there's been no attempt at this on the DBox), the scanning was only done at standard-def, there's authoring incompetence that lead to the vertical lines of pixels at the very left and very right being distorted or simply not present, and some encoding issues render a couple of episodes really ugly-looking, and some of the interlacing wasn't flagged properly...
And I need not go into all the myriad ways Funi has ruined their home video releases over the past 15 years.

Funi and Toei really don't care. Unless the fans make some kind of big stink, and vote with their wallets, and unify behind these issues, Funi and Toei will continue to take advantage of their position and screw us over. And so far, the fans have just kind of rolled over... Which, in fairness, is a natural reaction to us being continually screwed over since 1995.
It really does suck that they won't work with the dedicated fans who undertake these immense efforts in any way. On the point there about the Dragon Boxes, yeah they no doubt have their imperfections as you note with being standard definition transfers of 16mm film done sixteen years ago but i still enjoy my Z boxes just the same. They are undeniably better than pretty much all of FUNi's own home releases that they've put out. It really is a great thing that some people, including Sabat actually have interest about the OG audio although as we see Toei and FUNi themselves apparently couldn't care less about using them for home releases. What a crying shame it is, because it seems most fans just don't have enough passionate investment in the franchise to actually take them to task for doing such crappy things to a beloved series as this (and the other two to a lesser extent) but the fact neither company cares to do anything on such a notable issue is just absolutely disgusting.

HakkaiBills93
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 508
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:44 pm

I'll forever be grateful that Chris Sabat listened, and gladly took the copies of the audio that have been offered to him; like the rest of the talent side of this, he definitely cares about the fans, about the show, etc. etc.
But the business side? The guys who actually make the decisions on the home video?... They don't give a rat's ass. They never have.
You need only look at how bad home video of Dragon Ball has been on both sides to see this.

People praise the Dragon Box, but that's only because it's the least-bad complete release of the show; it's still got colour issues, awful dark detail, tons of crushing on either the light or dark side, some episodes are framed improperly so portions of the screen go off the film frame, even going into the edge of the previous frame for much of one particular episode, the sound quality is bloody awful (yes, even for optical it's bad; some decent EQing can make the optical sound significantly less bad, but there's been no attempt at this on the DBox), the scanning was only done at standard-def, there's authoring incompetence that lead to the vertical lines of pixels at the very left and very right being distorted or simply not present, and some encoding issues render a couple of episodes really ugly-looking, and some of the interlacing wasn't flagged properly...
And I need not go into all the myriad ways Funi has ruined their home video releases over the past 15 years.

Funi and Toei really don't care. Unless the fans make some kind of big stink, and vote with their wallets, and unify behind these issues, Funi and Toei will continue to take advantage of their position and screw us over. And so far, the fans have just kind of rolled over... Which, in fairness, is a natural reaction to us being continually screwed over since 1995.
It's what i told months, even years ago here about that , it's was not so hard to figure, Funi and Toei are companies, not fansub group so dragon ball is not a passion it's just something they have gotten the rights with the only goal to make maximum benefits, Funimation two HD release was :
- level set : HQ : commercial fail
- season sets : poor quality and low cost remaster : big success

dragon ball is a series for us, for companies it is a product, nothing more, i can't even think that after the success of the season sets , that suddenly, funimation would have turn their mind and choose to did better things with an higher cost, meaning less benefits
Toei start to be the same, that's why you start to see more and more DNR into their release

All companies aren't like that of course but since you have seen how funimation and Toei acted one time, it couldn't have been differrent , now only fans can do something, that's why it's really a mess that some db audios remain into private collector's hand and that they don't want to shared them or do something with them for others. what i laugh about is that they companies pathetic quality product and they'll cry because people edited them and do piracy.

it remind me the story of some bruce lee movies like The big boss and the unfinished full version (as it lack the beginning in what was released) about the bruce lee true version of the game of death, that some collectors choose to hide from the world only for theirs own entertainment.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by crabshank1 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:59 pm

So, I used my audio enhancement technique on Episode 237, on the Big Box and Tokai broadcast audio. I then matched the frequencies of the enhanced broadcast audio to those of the enhanced Big Box and got this result:



I'd probably get a better result if I matched the broadcast audio directly to the enhanced Big Box, but that's for later.

When I did enhancement for Big Box audio for DBZ E229, it sounded like I was in the room with the seiyuu at some points:

Sounds like 'Behind The Scenes of Dragon Ball Z'.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:38 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:05 pm
There are people who exist that actually prefer the muffled audio? What?
The most common reasoning I've seen, is that the low quality audio fits with the aesthetic of Drragon Ball and makes it feel like an old martial arts film, or something like that.
Retired from forum discussion, except for video games.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:30 pm

crabshank1 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:59 pm
[...]
Your embeds are broken.
Ringworm128 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:38 pm
The most common reasoning I've seen, is that the low quality audio fits with the aesthetic of Drragon Ball and makes it feel like an old martial arts film, or something like that.
Yeah. Pure nonsense, if you ask me.
Same kind of reasoning people give for why the Ocean cast were better for the Saiyan+Namek arcs, while the Funi cast is better for the post-Namek arcs... People are used to it a certain way, and thus will try to justify why their way is the best way, even if it goes against all logic and reason.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:56 pm
It really does suck that they won't work with the dedicated fans who undertake these immense efforts in any way.
Well, again, Chris Sabat has worked with us to every extent one would expect; the audio is in his hands, the problem is simply the guys at Funi making the decisions have elected to not use what we've passed on to Sabat.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:56 pm
On the point there about the Dragon Boxes, yeah they no doubt have their imperfections as you note with being standard definition transfers of 16mm film done sixteen years ago but i still enjoy my Z boxes just the same. They are undeniably better than pretty much all of FUNi's own home releases that they've put out.
That is an exceptionally low bar. (Regarding the latter)

Realistically, as far as standard-def 16mm film transfers go, particularly for transfers of original negatives, the Dragon Boxes were a rather poor bit of work. So, much as they're the best we've got, it's a rather sorry state we're in.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:56 pm
It really is a great thing that some people, including Sabat actually have interest about the OG audio although as we see Toei and FUNi themselves apparently couldn't care less about using them for home releases. What a crying shame it is, because it seems most fans just don't have enough passionate investment in the franchise to actually take them to task for doing such crappy things to a beloved series as this (and the other two to a lesser extent) but the fact neither company cares to do anything on such a notable issue is just absolutely disgusting.
Well, at this point, I think the fans are so used to the bullshit, everyone just rolls over and takes it. "At least it's not as bad as last time" goes around a lot. And ultimately, in this day and age, the particular subsets of American culture that tend to be in the demographic who'd buy Dragon Ball Z DVDs/BDs tends to see passionate negative feelings towards such complex issues as "just some snowflakes getting triggered and complaining" or something like that.

Not trying to spring any nasty politics out from no-where here, this is just the attitude I've observed, even here. Any cries of foul play on the new boxsets, or Funi's continued insertion of nonsense into their Dragon Ball dubs are met by an overwhelming "stop complaining, it's better than it was, just accept it and stop complaining." Even those who'll engage with you on it and agree with you will often just default to "yeah and it sucks but it's not going to get better, so we should just accept it"

Honestly, at this point, I'm just really tired of it. Sometimes I feel like exploding with rage at such people, other times I just want nothing to do with any discussion that even goes into the kind of territory that these people share such feelings on.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by crabshank1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:10 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:30 pm
Your embeds are broken.
Repost of my audios the spoiler tag, you should be able to download the .flacs:

Jord
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Jord » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:30 am

I can imagine some prefer the Dragon Box audio due to nostalgia akin to how some people prefer an old record with cracks and hisses on it.

crabshank1
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by crabshank1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:01 am

Jord wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:30 am
I can imagine some prefer the Dragon Box audio due to nostalgia akin to how some people prefer an old record with cracks and hisses on it.
To make some audio to video analogies:

The cracks and hisses are more like grain, dbox audio is more like overblown highlights IMO. Dbox audio has a lot of missing frequencies.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:57 pm

crabshank1 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:01 am
Jord wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:30 am
I can imagine some prefer the Dragon Box audio due to nostalgia akin to how some people prefer an old record with cracks and hisses on it.
To make some audio to video analogies:

The cracks and hisses are more like grain, dbox audio is more like overblown highlights IMO. Dbox audio has a lot of missing frequencies.
Indeed. Optical really can't hold anything above 6KHz (the frequencies are kind of there, but the noise and distortion more than overpowers them), and even the frequencies that are present are heavily distorted.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:03 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 am
Robo4900 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Filtering can cut it back by quite a lot, and if we can get superior sources(As we have done for Z episodes 51 and 95), it'll be totally gone.


Really, there's no contest; broadcast audio is just strictly better. Even in aspects that the broadcast audio is flawed, various forms of filtering combined with the fact multiple sources -- including the optical -- can be combined in various ways, gives a lot of options to minimise, maybe even remove, the flaws that some seem to nitpick about.
And also, we do have it for the whole Z series, it's just not publicly available(Well... Certain piracy sites have leaked compressed lossy copies of the lesser sources, but...). Most of DB has yet to be attained, though about 20 episodes have been gathered from various sources so far, all of which I believe have been passed onto Funimation. GT is interesting, since Toei still has the master audio, and in fact Funimation may also have a copy of it that they haven't been aware of thus far.
You don’t have episodes 30, 31, and a bunch of others in Fuji without buzzing?! I guess .. I’ll have to upload those for everyone like I’ve done everything else. :thumbup:
If you're gonna finish what you started, just do it. Bragging and dangling stuff in front of peoples' faces will just have everyone rolling their eyes; everyone who's ever refused to share has always done this game of bragging and teasing, so unless there's action to back it up, no one cares anymore.

So, no offense, but -- actions, not words.
To be completely honest, I’ve lost the will to continue uploading on Nyaa. I didn’t do it for the attention. Nobody held a gun to my head. It was a way to give back to the fans. Last October, I received a box of Betamax/Hi8 tapes containing audio from the DBZ Fuji broadcast, and then another box in August. It was for half of the series. A few of them had major key problems and video problems, but the rest were fine, NEPS intact. I originally planned to upload them as a farewell, but life got in the way and now FUNi has decided to give us the shaft yet again. People always assume it’s “amazing” to have this audio, but it’s never good enough and it never will be because the masters were junked.

Fortunately, the DBGT masters still exist, but nobody cares enough to record or share the best version of it, so why should I? Don’t take it personal, but until people start contributing more (proper fan remaster of the show) or FUNi and Toei decide to pull their head out of their asses, I probably won’t be doing anything. I’m going to take a long break from this franchise to clear my head. I don’t know when or if I’ll be back, but the post I made on the other thread highlights my reasoning for doing so. Everyone always wants “rare goodies” from me without ever giving back. No other community is this volatile, to conspire against each other and tease people with stuff for some kind of elite status like Kei17 who, says he’ll “go to jail” for sharing broadcast audio, yet traded HDDs frequently with me and uploaded inferior versions of his material for others on websites.

By the way, Kei17 and I aren’t the only ones to posses recordings of the Fuji broadcast. I can name three others who have just as much as I do. They don’t frequent DBZ forums, so it will be impossible for you to find them. One person who used to go by the name RedTop, has almost the entire series of DBZ in Fuji, but won’t share it. I visited his house in Florida and made a serious offer of $50,000 to buy his tapes, but he declined. It’s a shame we don’t have the dedication and support to remaster the series like Harmy did with Star Wars.

You can’t always get what you want, I guess. YMMV.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:16 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:51 pm
To be completely honest, I’ve lost the will to continue uploading on Nyaa. I didn’t do it for the attention. Nobody held a gun to my head. It was a way to give back to the fans. Last October, I received a box of Betamax/Hi8 tapes containing audio from the DBZ Fuji broadcast, and then another box in August. It was for half of the series. A few of them had major key problems and video problems, but the rest were fine, NEPS intact. I originally planned to upload them as a farewell, but life got in the way and now FUNi has decided to give us the shaft yet again. People always assume it’s “amazing” to have this audio, but it’s never good enough and it never will be because the masters were junked.

Fortunately, the DBGT masters still exist, but nobody cares enough to record or share the best version of it, so why should I?
No offense man, but as much as a lot of your post suggests you're just as tired of people hoarding and being selfish about this stuff as anyone else (particularly those in my position, and the position you claim to have been in with the guy in Florida, of having to negotiate with these people), in bragging about having Fuji stuff, etc. which you're not sharing, all you're doing is begging for attention while being exactly the same as every other selfish blowhard who's ever refused to share this kind of stuff.

Fan projects to put the broadcast audio to use have existed for a long time, just many of them have only historically worked with poorer-quality sources. And with your releases implied to be ongoing, saving the best for last, all your faux-noble talk of no one wanting to step up and finish what you're starting is baloney.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:16 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:51 pm
To be completely honest, I’ve lost the will to continue uploading on Nyaa. I didn’t do it for the attention. Nobody held a gun to my head. It was a way to give back to the fans. Last October, I received a box of Betamax/Hi8 tapes containing audio from the DBZ Fuji broadcast, and then another box in August. It was for half of the series. A few of them had major key problems and video problems, but the rest were fine, NEPS intact. I originally planned to upload them as a farewell, but life got in the way and now FUNi has decided to give us the shaft yet again. People always assume it’s “amazing” to have this audio, but it’s never good enough and it never will be because the masters were junked.

Fortunately, the DBGT masters still exist, but nobody cares enough to record or share the best version of it, so why should I?
No offense man, but as much as a lot of your post suggests you're just as tired of people hoarding and being selfish about this stuff as anyone else (particularly those in my position, and the position you claim to have been in with the guy in Florida, of having to negotiate with these people), in bragging about having Fuji stuff, etc. which you're not sharing, all you're doing is begging for attention while being exactly the same as every other selfish blowhard who's ever refused to share this kind of stuff.

Fan projects to put the broadcast audio to use have existed for a long time, just many of them have only historically worked with poorer-quality sources. And with your releases implied to be ongoing, saving the best for last, all your faux-noble talk of no one wanting to step up and finish what you're starting is baloney.
I'm sorry you feel that way, Robo4900. Not once in your post did you ever thank me for the uploads I made. Maybe you should adjust your thinking and maybe you'll get somewhere like I have with other people who collect audio. In any case, here's episode 31 with the intro, commercials, and neps without buzzing from Fuji TV, recorded on Hi8: https://mega.nz/#!5F5znQKC!DFptf9PGcTTG ... 8OkrhqqY-k

You're welcome.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3165
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm
I'm sorry you feel that way, Robo4900. Not once in your post did you ever thank me for the uploads I made. Maybe you should adjust your thinking and maybe you'll get somewhere like I have with other people who collect audio. In any case, here's episode 31 with the intro, commercials, and neps without buzzing from Fuji TV, recorded on Hi8: https://mega.nz/#!5F5znQKC!DFptf9PGcTTG ... 8OkrhqqY-k
Listen bud, I'm not gonna lie, but I'm also not gonna sugar-coat this; yes, I am grateful for you sharing a bunch of stuff. And if you feel I haven't thanked you properly for it, then sure, let's do that now... Thank you very much for sharing what you have shared so far.
But I stand by what I said in my last posts. If all you're here to do is continue to grasp at whatever gratification you can get from having shared some stuff and dangling more stuff in peoples' faces, then look elsewhere, or maybe actually do what you're teasing.

As you note in your last post, there are tons of people who'll gladly flaunt the best audio around in peoples' faces while refusing to share. It's been like that for a long time. People, especially those in my position, are sick of it.
So, if you want to continue sharing, I commend you, and I will continue to be grateful.
But, if all you're here to do is flaunt stuff you have no intentions of sharing, there's the door.
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

HakkaiBills93
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 508
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:51 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:03 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 am

You don’t have episodes 30, 31, and a bunch of others in Fuji without buzzing?! I guess .. I’ll have to upload those for everyone like I’ve done everything else. :thumbup:
If you're gonna finish what you started, just do it. Bragging and dangling stuff in front of peoples' faces will just have everyone rolling their eyes; everyone who's ever refused to share has always done this game of bragging and teasing, so unless there's action to back it up, no one cares anymore.

So, no offense, but -- actions, not words.
To be completely honest, I’ve lost the will to continue uploading on Nyaa. I didn’t do it for the attention. Nobody held a gun to my head. It was a way to give back to the fans. Last October, I received a box of Betamax/Hi8 tapes containing audio from the DBZ Fuji broadcast, and then another box in August. It was for half of the series. A few of them had major key problems and video problems, but the rest were fine, NEPS intact. I originally planned to upload them as a farewell, but life got in the way and now FUNi has decided to give us the shaft yet again. People always assume it’s “amazing” to have this audio, but it’s never good enough and it never will be because the masters were junked.

Fortunately, the DBGT masters still exist, but nobody cares enough to record or share the best version of it, so why should I? Don’t take it personal, but until people start contributing more (proper fan remaster of the show) or FUNi and Toei decide to pull their head out of their asses, I probably won’t be doing anything. I’m going to take a long break from this franchise to clear my head. I don’t know when or if I’ll be back, but the post I made on the other thread highlights my reasoning for doing so. Everyone always wants “rare goodies” from me without ever giving back. No other community is this volatile, to conspire against each other and tease people with stuff for some kind of elite status like Kei17 who, says he’ll “go to jail” for sharing broadcast audio, yet traded HDDs frequently with me and uploaded inferior versions of his material for others on websites.

By the way, Kei17 and I aren’t the only ones to posses recordings of the Fuji broadcast. I can name three others who have just as much as I do. They don’t frequent DBZ forums, so it will be impossible for you to find them. One person who used to go by the name RedTop, has almost the entire series of DBZ in Fuji, but won’t share it. I visited his house in Florida and made a serious offer of $50,000 to buy his tapes, but he declined. It’s a shame we don’t have the dedication and support to remaster the series like Harmy did with Star Wars.

You can’t always get what you want, I guess. YMMV.
there is several people working on remaster and you have in the color correction thread new face of people that do cc.
If you think that what you shared won't be use for a better purpose you are totally wrong, but "remaster" is not something you can automated or do like that on only few times or by scheduled way, everyone have a live with random event that can prevent them working properly on it or even technical issues to face and about cc even what i was doing was not accurate and was having issues for example, dragon box footage are really shitty remastered and for my part i am not okay with "bear" with the dbox footage

The crucial differrence between star wars and dragon ball project are:

- Star wars have proper original release and sources that can be used as references unlike dragon balls where you have countless release using differrent colors, with so many differrent colors, how can you say "this one are the ones to use and not another one?", you can only guess and by altering hue or colors, if you don't properly use the right amount for each colors, one other will be off.

- Dragon Ball Fandom are full of people that once they get something, they straight keep for themselves and used them for trading, some are pure collectors, their only goal is to get as much things others don't have to retain them , you have people like pekindaq that tease his "new year special" straight to others but can't afford that people ask him for that , it's just ego masturbation, if you are a collector, what's the matter if someone have them? like broadcast stuffs, having the physical tapes and digital ones don't lower the value of the physical, it's like having a dragon ball rare figure and share a photo of it. the goal is just to keep the things for himself.
it's the same in some other things, for example bruce lee big boss uncut film print remain in collectors hand, and cause to thoses fucking selfish, the world have to bear the censored print.

of course in the life you can't never get what you want, we agree, everyone here would like to have a proper remaster, including me, if i could do it straight now with my knowledge i'll have done (and win hard disk space), but if you think that keep thoses audios for you only because there is no proper remaster is nonsense, i'll have never seen as much people trying to do EQ and color corrections since the broadcast audios have been made public

you think it was worthless? of course not but result won't show in few month like that, it will came of course i think by a way or another one , some people also focus to get the missing db episodes that only kei17 own in that way (because dragon ball start before z it make more sense starting with db) , gathering broadcast references to work properly, scans, cels etc but "good" cels, broadcast things etc are not easy to find

- Audios cleaning is also a really LONG process , it's not something you can do with earphone or low cost equipment in a basement by clicking on three buttons, and i know few people working on that audios

- Video remaster is also a long process that need proper references and also knowing the footage to see when colors alterations are differrent, there is also a shadow of a Toei HD scan of the series (Funimation did a scan for movies, Toei did their own, so it's not because funi will release HD dbz that it mean that Toei won't do it, Toei are not used to use foreign materials)
what's the point correcting sd footage with a high probability of HD ones coming?
i know some people will claim that Toei won't do it, but i remember seeing them saying that Funimation will listened to the fans and will do a proper dbz HD remaster (so not reliable opinions)
why there will be a proper remaster of the series? tv special 2 have been remastered and release HD BUT no physical release yet, if Toei didn't planned to release the series, i don't think tv sp would have been made HD

about dbgt i don't agree, there is one team working with dbgt japanese tv audios and recorders that got gt recording hardly managed to get the audios just because of people that don't want to share thoses recordings, now they have them and probably will get better with tokyo mx, but nothing would have been possible without "sharing" so sharing only if result is nonsense, sharing leads to result, just with time

Hugo2003DBZ
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Hugo2003DBZ » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:54 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:51 pm
To be completely honest, I’ve lost the will to continue uploading on Nyaa. I didn’t do it for the attention. Nobody held a gun to my head. It was a way to give back to the fans. Last October, I received a box of Betamax/Hi8 tapes containing audio from the DBZ Fuji broadcast, and then another box in August. It was for half of the series. A few of them had major key problems and video problems, but the rest were fine, NEPS intact. I originally planned to upload them as a farewell, but life got in the way and now FUNi has decided to give us the shaft yet again. People always assume it’s “amazing” to have this audio, but it’s never good enough and it never will be because the masters were junked.

Fortunately, the DBGT masters still exist, but nobody cares enough to record or share the best version of it, so why should I? Don’t take it personal, but until people start contributing more (proper fan remaster of the show) or FUNi and Toei decide to pull their head out of their asses, I probably won’t be doing anything. I’m going to take a long break from this franchise to clear my head. I don’t know when or if I’ll be back, but the post I made on the other thread highlights my reasoning for doing so. Everyone always wants “rare goodies” from me without ever giving back. No other community is this volatile, to conspire against each other and tease people with stuff for some kind of elite status like Kei17 who, says he’ll “go to jail” for sharing broadcast audio, yet traded HDDs frequently with me and uploaded inferior versions of his material for others on websites.

By the way, Kei17 and I aren’t the only ones to posses recordings of the Fuji broadcast. I can name three others who have just as much as I do. They don’t frequent DBZ forums, so it will be impossible for you to find them. One person who used to go by the name RedTop, has almost the entire series of DBZ in Fuji, but won’t share it. I visited his house in Florida and made a serious offer of $50,000 to buy his tapes, but he declined. It’s a shame we don’t have the dedication and support to remaster the series like Harmy did with Star Wars.

You can’t always get what you want, I guess. YMMV.

Hi,

The first. Thank you for the uploads you've made. For my part, nothing you comment.

Second: Do not believe yourself. I can share my material without problems, the only problem is that it is material from Spain and specifically from Galicia, so it will interest a small number of people. I am not one of those who have those Japanese audios that, at least I, I appreciate keeping. Even if only one person remains, if you confirm and prove that you have it, great.
Here, for example, 3 episodes captured from TVG2 (Galicia), without recompression:

https://mega.nz/#!3a4iiYjK!NwWvHpK4P5XQ ... zbK7SeoWW0

https://mega.nz/#!DXATgIjQ!1hqMaUXHRr2O ... ngBJPPgrQ0

https://mega.nz/#!2LZzwIiI!V4u9hmxksz0K ... NQx_kLC_hc

Post Reply