Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: Dragon Box Audio Vs. Broadcast Audio — How is there even an argument?

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 pm

I'll be honest. I am a dub person and couldn't care less about the japanese release.

But.

Life is short, people love this series and the japanese releases. Please share what you have, anyone who has these tapes. For history sake, for people who want to enjoy this show the way it was intended.

We're all getting older and and it's a sad thought that some people could be dead before being able to listen to a better quality release of this amazing series.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:08 am

Just stumbled upon this and wow.
AnimeMaakuo: I've been thankfull for your releases for a while, been following stuff on a piracy website, had no clue you were here because I don't really frequent this forum much anymore, too toxic. That being said, your argument is definitely not a good one, since you blame others for hoarding stuff so you decide to do the same? Why not be the bigger man? If you want to take some time to reflect, by all means do. I totally understand how toxic the Dragon Ball fandom can be and that the task in question takes a lot of work to complete. But me personally? I prefer to ignore the toxicity and share what I have, I don't do much, due to lack of talent or simply not having that much rare stuff, but what I do and share, I do it for the community, I do it not for gratification, but because that's what I would like others to do as well.

Everytime someone puts hundreds or hours into a project like this, I'm thankfull, the stuff I see on a piracy website? I mean, for example, I don't care about any dubs whatsoever, but I sure appreciate all the work being done by the teams trying to sync all available dubs into one ultimate release.

Me? As soon as I got access to rare footage, in this case the Drama Audio for DBZ Movie 6 and 11, I packaged it and shared it, barely anyone cared. I also contacted various people in hopes someone would try to sync it to the movies. It has been done actually, in this forum no less, bragged about and hogged thightly. It bums me, but doesn't discourage.

I also took it upon myself to track down and work on the NEPs for the Super Collaboration Special, packaged it and shared. Did anyone care? Did anyone comment or thank me? Nope. But you know what? I'm proud that I did it and shared it. Someone must have downloaded it and enjoyed it and maybe made their day a little better, like it did mine when I finished it.

That selfish stance you are taking helps no one.

On the other hand, the rest of you demanding and directly offending AnimeMaakuo, this is the exact kind of toxicity that detracts people from coming here, from sharing, from helping. It's all about taking and insincere thanks. Realistically, people like AnimeMaakuo don't have to do anything at all, especially not because you want them to. It would be really amazing if he does, and it is every time he chooses to, but it's his choice to do it. Does it suck if he decides not to share? Sure does, for everyone. But it's his choice to do or not do.

People should be more thankfull, understanding and patient, especially in this community. Every time some shares anything remotely cool like this, the first comments I see aren't thanks, they're normally asking for more. Can you really not understand how tiresome that can be?

The sad part is that I feel that instead of making things better, my message will only bring more toxicity. But if you please, reflect on what you have, count your blessings, be thankful of all the cool stuff we already have before asking for more. That includes you AnimeMaakuo, I'm sure you also have benefitted from others who shared cool stuff, remember how that felt.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 pm

I’ve been out of the loop on the broadcast audio thing. I don’t think anyone had the entirety of Z when I was last up to date on this stuff. Is there an effort being made to overlay that audio on the DBox footage? (as in, done by fans) That would be awesome.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:02 am

Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 pm I’ve been out of the loop on the broadcast audio thing. I don’t think anyone had the entirety of Z when I was last up to date on this stuff. Is there an effort being made to overlay that audio on the DBox footage? (as in, done by fans) That would be awesome.
It's been done, it's already out there.

The best one currently is just a remux of the R1 Dragon Boxes with the lossy broadcast audio. It's my preferred way to watch at the moment, while the audio isn't perfect it is a big step up from the optical track that we're accustomed to.

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:02 am
Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 pm I’ve been out of the loop on the broadcast audio thing. I don’t think anyone had the entirety of Z when I was last up to date on this stuff. Is there an effort being made to overlay that audio on the DBox footage? (as in, done by fans) That would be awesome.
It's been done, it's already out there.

The best one currently is just a remux of the R1 Dragon Boxes with the lossy broadcast audio. It's my preferred way to watch at the moment, while the audio isn't perfect it is a big step up from the optical track that we're accustomed to.
😱Awesome! I’ll definitely look these up

True Goku

Post by True Goku » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:29 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 am
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:20 pm
Forte224 wrote:The only thing I have against the broadcast audio is if you're listening to it with headphones, there's this annoying buzzing sound that sort of hums in the background sometimes (often) when characters talk.
Filtering can cut it back by quite a lot, and if we can get superior sources(As we have done for Z episodes 51 and 95), it'll be totally gone.
Forte224 wrote:That said, yeah I doubt too many people will argue that the muffled DBox audio is better. It can only really be chalked up to a purist thing I suppose or whatever. That broadcast audio sounds so nice. If only we had it for the whole series. You know, like nearly every other show ever has by default.
Really, there's no contest; broadcast audio is just strictly better. Even in aspects that the broadcast audio is flawed, various forms of filtering combined with the fact multiple sources -- including the optical -- can be combined in various ways, gives a lot of options to minimise, maybe even remove, the flaws that some seem to nitpick about.
And also, we do have it for the whole Z series, it's just not publicly available(Well... Certain piracy sites have leaked compressed lossy copies of the lesser sources, but...). Most of DB has yet to be attained, though about 20 episodes have been gathered from various sources so far, all of which I believe have been passed onto Funimation. GT is interesting, since Toei still has the master audio, and in fact Funimation may also have a copy of it that they haven't been aware of thus far.
You don’t have episodes 30, 31, and a bunch of others in Fuji without buzzing?! I guess .. I’ll have to upload those for everyone like I’ve done everything else. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing what you have so far @animemaakuo I would share what I have if I did have anything to share that was out there. Too many toxic fans out there as well tbh. Thankful regardless man.