Funimation Dubbing: My Hero Academia vs Dragon Ball Franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Funimation Dubbing: My Hero Academia vs Dragon Ball Franchise

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 pm

I was going to make this thread about Colleen Clinkenbeard as an actress vs as a voice director but decided to do this instead. I know many here dont like MHA but its THE ONE anime Funimation treats with the utmost care above all other and its dub is generating quite the buzz for being superlatively well made.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimation Dubbing: My Hero Academia vs Dragon Ball Franchise

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:33 am

All I know is Sabat as All Might is Perfect
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I was going to make this thread about Colleen Clinkenbeard as an actress vs as a voice director but decided to do this instead. I know many here dont like MHA but its THE ONE anime Funimation treats with the utmost care above all other and its dub is generating quite the buzz for being superlatively well made.
Really? Is there a majority of the Kanzenshuu community who don't like MHA?
Also, I question your claim that MHA is "THE ONE" anime Funimation treats with the utmost care.
For years, that position belonged and I argue still does belong to One Piece.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:33 am

I can't gush about My Hero Academia enough. I haven't watched a show that brought me this much joy in a long time. The thing that really gets me about MHA that it has over every other show is how friggin likable basically all the characters are it's got such a huge cast of characters and they are all interesting and demand your attention. It's a mostly light and fluffy story so far but I feel like the show could handle darker material in the future and I am excited to see that. Since Dragon Ball Super went off the air I was really happy that My Hero Academia was just around the corner but now I have nothing to watch. I don't really know how I could compare the two or pit them against each other. They don't have a whole lot in common. I once heard Horikoshi Kohei comment on twitter that All Might is based on Goku and I was just like WTF? HOW? All Might is like the anti Goku

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:55 am

Um...I love your enthusiasm and love for My Hero Academia...but this is about the DUBBING of that show vs the dubbing of Dragon Ball and what makes you like it better than the other
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:11 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Um...I love your enthusiasm and love for My Hero Academia...but this is about the DUBBING of that show vs the dubbing of Dragon Ball and what makes you like it better than the other
I literally blanked that part out. I would say the MHA dub is better but that might just because English suits the western super hero flavor of the show in a way that maybe can't be done with Dragon Ball as well. I honestly have to say that I think the MHA dub is a lot better than the sub which is really weird given you would think the fact that it's rush rush because it's a broadcast dub that it would be more sloppy but I get a lot more out of the dub than the sub. I feel like the ones that stand out most outside of Chris Sabat is Clifford Chapin. With Dragon Ball Super I am totally fine not rewatching the episodes dubbed because I don't feel it's entirely necessary but with MHA I watch both because even if I watched the sub because Funimation is behind schedule I still need to watch it again. The Deku V Bakugou fight for example I think Clifford Chapin gave a more emotional performance than Okamoto Nobuhiko. I like the actor who does Bakugou in Japanese but Clifford Chapin just out acts him.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:34 am

WOW! Great post! I'm glad you enjoy the MHA dub.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:18 am

The MHA dub is far, far better than anything Funimation has ever done with Dragon Ball. It's in my opinion, the best work they've ever done. Yes, better than their dubs of both FMA series and YYH.

Chris Sabat is a lot better as All Might than Vegeta, Piccolo and Yamcha.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:04 am

FUNimation has a splendid job of dubbing My Hero Academia. The script, casting and direction have been superb. Sabat as All Might steals the show, and I honestly think that is the best voice acting he's ever produced.

That dub is one of the rare golden unicorns (under FUNimation's umbrella, at the very least) that is as good as the original Japanese version.

It also helps that My Hero Academia is generally fantastic show.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:06 am

FUNimation has a splendid job of dubbing My Hero Academia. The script, casting and direction have been superb. Sabat as All Might steals the show, and I honestly think that is the best voice acting he's ever produced.

That dub is one of the rare golden unicorns (under FUNimation's umbrella, at the very least) that is as good as the original Japanese version. It also helps that My Hero Academia is generally fantastic show.

In terms of how well the MHA dub stacks up against dubbed Dragon Ball material... I'd say the only English dubbed material from Dragon Ball that comes close to the quality of the MHA dub was episodes 1-98 of the Kai FUNimation dub and Resurrection F.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:17 am

Sabat fits well enough with 'All Might' but he leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to All Might's true form.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:20 am

Just realized I accidentally double posted.

Sorry.

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:12 pm

The My Hero dub is overrated in my opinion. It's a fine dub compared to many, but I just feel like a lot of the voices aren't natural and that they don't sound like a bunch of 14-15 year olds.

Saying it's better than Dragon ball to me is funny, because I feel personally that Dragon ball is one of the best anime dubs out there.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Old Dragon Ball or New Dragon Ball?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Kurakaio wrote:.

Saying it's better than Dragon ball to me is funny, because I feel personally that Dragon ball is one of the best anime dubs out there.
How do you figure?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:20 pm

Not that I follow anime in general, but isn’t FUNimation’s dub of One Piece also held in high regard?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:49 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Not that I follow anime in general, but isn’t FUNimation’s dub of One Piece also held in high regard?
Pretty sure a lot of that is down to the fact it replaced the 4Kids dub, which... Well... Less said about that, the better...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Aren’t most of Funimation’s post-Dragon Ball/Z/GT dubs considered good?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Not that I follow anime in general, but isn’t FUNimation’s dub of One Piece also held in high regard?
Pretty sure a lot of that is down to the fact it replaced the 4Kids dub, which... Well... Less said about that, the better...
From everything I’ve heard people say about it, it’s apparently a pretty strong dub that stays true to the original. Considering that it’s been around for 11 years, it seems difficult to believe that people would only praise it for not being the 4Kids dub.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Only being seen that the MHA game is getting a lot of support (especially on the Switch) but since FUNimation is doing that great of a job, I figure I'll give it a watch.

Not really an anime watcher but w/e.