Can I just ignore Super's existence?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ahill1
Regular

Can I just ignore Super's existence?

Post by ahill1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:44 am

As it's displayed in the title, can I just ignore that Super has ever happened? I personally don't think it does any honour to a DB continuity, nor do I think that it's how the events should have been displayed in case that there was a continuity... I just can't watch/read Super and figure it as a true DB continuity, so is it alright that I just ignore Super as a whole, and pretend that DB has ended in the Boo saga with Goku leaving off to train Oob?

Kind of a silly question and maybe unrelated, but I'd still like to hear your opinions.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Can I just ignore Super's existence?

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:44 am

No one's pulling the original material off the market so yes, if you just like the original 2 anime and their movies then by all means, you can ignore everything else. Super has shown why people have wanted DB to continue and why others wanted it to stay finished so you're not alone in that opinion. As someone who enjoys Super and is excited for its new content, I completely understand why you and others think DB should've ended with the original manga. I personally hold the original manga and its anime separate from Super so regardless of how bad modern DB gets, it won't have any negative affects on my opinion of the original.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:37 am

Your entitled to ur wish

As you said, DBS has not done any honor to original Z material that requires a "must" in the long continuity of DragonBall franchise

Just like GT lol. I dunno bout you, but I consider GT to be an alternate, "what-if" fanfic tbh.

GT lacks soul & dat alone makes it hard to be considered as spiritual successor of DBZ or EoZ

Super's no diff imo.

Just how much you could cram into that "10 years time skip" lol

Lets review shall we? Things dat happened in that "tiny bit" moment or merely few panels

Goku faced frickin God
Acheived God, then Bluper SSJ
Fought Zamasu, Black frickin Kaioshins
Fought most omnipotent universal warriors & unlocked holy Ultra Instinct which strikes fear even among Gods

Goku fights human child Oob in Base form evenly (EoZ)

An accidental sneeze should've shattered Oob's skull if we follow the rate at which Goku's progressed lol

So yeah...its fine.

But I for its beautiful animation reasons, cannot abandon BOG & ROF completly lol

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:48 am

You can, if you don't mind constantly referring to DB as "the original series."

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:53 am

ahill1 wrote:As it's displayed in the title, can I just ignore that Super has ever happened? I personally don't think it does any honour to a DB continuity, nor do I think that it's how the events should have been displayed in case that there was a continuity... I just can't watch/read Super and figure it as a true DB continuity, so is it alright that I just ignore Super as a whole, and pretend that DB has ended in the Boo saga with Goku leaving off to train Oob?

Kind of a silly question and maybe unrelated, but I'd still like to hear your opinions.
Not silly at all, Super doesn’t exist in my DB continuity and most of the fandom acts as of Minus and DB Online aren’t canon based on the nebulous “canon” definition of having Toriyamas involvement which is even weirder because he’s involved in most products and virtually nothing is 100% his in modern DB.

No the background technicals and production aside it appears your number 1 gripe is the continuity, general themes, and artistic integrity.

To which I would say Super is a total mismatch between the “Z” era Dragonball much of the world loves and it’s present Pokémon flavored variety. For this you really have to understand the origins of Super and the Battle of the Gods movie. The entire concept of Gods of Destruction and SSG forms was an invention of Toei. They actually sent a completed script to Toriyama with these concepts already in place and Toriyama ended up rewriting it.

It’s arguable thus that left to Toriyamas own devices, without outside influence we wouldn’t have gotten the story we have now. It’s possible we may have never gotten new material or if we did it may have looked much different without the existence of that original Toei script.

I can say in my personal opinion that the concepts of SSG and SSB and many of the events of Super aren’t worthy of Toriyamas original work and prefer it didn’t exist so every fan is free to feel how they would like about the franchise.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:12 am

Discussion will take everything into account. You can stick to the original for personal enjoyment. Just don't ruin others' for the sake of it. We should try to connect the dots more often, instead of just listing those that are not, to contribute with body of text in the quoting chains' place.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:25 am

Yes. Just like you can ignore every Terminator after T2. They didn't retroactively change T1 and T2 to make room for the awful sequels.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:29 am

Sure you can. Remember there are superhero comics out there with decades upon decades of continuity and multiple arcs and ages, very few fans of those are expected to take every single thing as red. There's plenty of people out there who pick and choose the versions of the story they're familiar with, the ones they like most or their favourite adaptation and that's their "canon."

Dragon Ball is a franchise and has been since well before Super started. Just don't be surprised or indignant if other people want to engage with it.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:46 am

Why do you feel like you can’t? Either way, don’t be surprised or disrespectful to those that don’t and want to discuss it (same obviously goes vice versa)

SheonGT

Post by SheonGT » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:00 pm

I do. It feels like nothing but fan service to sell merchandise at this point. You’re telling me that after all of GT, that Pan, Gohan’s daughter can’t go super saiyan despite Trunks doing it in diapers? And that all of a sudden the first female super daiyans are total rule 34 bait?

A total slap in the face. I also just don’t like the digital art, even though it’s the way of modern animation. Can you tell I have a GT bias? :lol:
Ask me about my love for the Faulconer Productions score!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:51 pm

As long as you don't spend your time trying to ruin other people's enjoyment, it's alright for you to do whatever you want.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:59 pm

SheonGT wrote:I do. It feels like nothing but fan service to sell merchandise at this point. You’re telling me that after all of GT, that Pan, Gohan’s daughter can’t go super saiyan despite Trunks doing it in diapers? And that all of a sudden the first female super daiyans are total rule 34 bait?

A total slap in the face. I also just don’t like the digital art, even though it’s the way of modern animation. Can you tell I have a GT bias? :lol:
Pan never going SSJ is a complete plothole that says more about GT than it does about Super. There was never any explanation in GT about why she couldn't do it (despite her base being as strong as it was).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:44 pm

ricky84 wrote:
SheonGT wrote:I do. It feels like nothing but fan service to sell merchandise at this point. You’re telling me that after all of GT, that Pan, Gohan’s daughter can’t go super saiyan despite Trunks doing it in diapers? And that all of a sudden the first female super daiyans are total rule 34 bait?

Pan never going SSJ is a complete plothole that says more about GT than it does about Super. There was never any explanation in GT about why she couldn't do it (despite her base being as strong as it was).
The GT perfect files talked about her potential to reach it (along other things we didn't see) so it may have been a future plan that never materialized because of GT getting cut short.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Of course you can ignore it, but it's part of the continuity. All the stuff that's coming now is building on Super
GT Fighter

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:12 pm

Of course you can. I mean, if you ask to 10 DB fans about chronology you probably will hear 10 different answers.

Some people ignore everything after Cell saga because "they ruined Gohan", some people ignore everything after Frieza saga because "it ruined the legend of Super Saiyan", some people think the movies and/or GT are part of the chronology, etc.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:20 pm

Nope you gotta accept it, sorry bud them's the breaks

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Without a prob. The 'newest' thing of Dragon Ball media that I have bought was the Battle of Gods movie (Blu-ray) and that was pretty damn disappointing, then I saw Resurrection F and that was one of the most boring and unoriginal movies I had seen. Now, since I had bought RF from a used store, I just returned it for a refund.

Super Broly's movie is looking epic so I'll probably buy that and try to watch it at a cinema, if possible.
Doctor. wrote:You can, if you don't mind constantly referring to DB as "the original series."
That's not even needed. There's Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT for Classic Dragon Ball GT series and then Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Kai: TFC and Dragon Ball Super for Modern Dragon Ball series.
TheBigBoy wrote:Nope you gotta accept it, sorry bud them's the breaks
"them's the breaks" :eh:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm just echoing at this point, but yes of course. Until the series gets George Lucas-ed and existing scenes from the show/manga are replaced with images from Super and old copies of the show/manga are pulled from shelves (like the way we see Hayden Christensen as ghost Anakin in RotJ, and there's no current official release of the unaltered trilogy) then there's no way you can't ignore it.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Original anime ended in 1997. So for almost 20 years people were fans of what they got before Super.
42 volumes of manga and anime DB/DBZ/DBGT series.

So you obviously can ignore DBS if you want to.
This series fills the 10 year gap anyway so ending of original story is the same - Goku leaves with Uub.
Unless DBS heavily retcons it in future, you can safely ignore it.
Nothing was known about 10 years gap for many years and it didn't hurt anyone, right?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:50 am

Forte224 wrote:I'm just echoing at this point, but yes of course. Until the series gets George Lucas-ed and existing scenes from the show/manga are replaced with images from Super and old copies of the show/manga are pulled from shelves (like the way we see Hayden Christensen as ghost Anakin in RotJ, and there's no current official release of the unaltered trilogy) then there's no way you can't ignore it.
I mean, Toriyama kinda did that with the Kanzenban release.