1 year of Super Ep 109/110 and UI. How has it aged?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

1 year of Super Ep 109/110 and UI. How has it aged?

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:23 am

Not to mention Ultimate battle!!!

1 year (and 5 days) ago this special aired, broke the internet and left our jaws on the floor. Some of us including me called 110 the greatest episode on the history of the franchise (in Kanzenshuu).

Now having seen the end of Super and the future of the series (broly), how has it aged for you?

For me it's still the best overall episode of the series with the UI reveal just as powerful as the first time we saw the Super Saiyan.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: 1 year of Super Ep 109/110 and UI. How has it aged?

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:41 am

I haven't watched it since it originally aired. At the time I thought it was much ado about nothing. A lot of 'hype' but little substance. Overall, I found it to be pretty forgettable. That being the case, it probably hasn't aged well for me either, but who knows? Maybe I'd find it slightly less underwhelming now that all the bloated expectations have died down.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:47 am

Omen's lost a lot of its luster for me and so has Ultimate Battle, the former thanks to how nonsense the acquiring is and where it led to while the latter was horrendously overused, turning something unique into cheap, easy hype music.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 am

Fuck, it's been one year already since the double episode special. Time flies.

Yeah, still an awesome double episode special. There were some writing issues I have with with Episode 109, but Episode 110 is fucking stellar and has damn near infinite rewatch value

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:28 pm

Episode 109/110 is still a phenomenal special episode, however, it definitely got knocked down a few pegs by episodes 130 and 131.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:50 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Omen's lost a lot of its luster for me and so has Ultimate Battle, the former thanks to how nonsense the acquiring is and where it led to while the latter was horrendously overused, turning something unique into cheap, easy hype music.
Yeah, this is about my opinion on it as well. I find other episodes much more re-watchable at this point.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:14 pm

When episode 110 came out with Ultra Instinct first introduced with Ultimate Battle playing, it was pretty hype. I watched the episode multiple times. Watching Goku fight basically on autopilot and the cool look of Omen was definitely a step-up from the usual fights Super had so far, but after it's first appearence it just felt like a regular form like every transformation before it.

Ultimate Battle I thought was going to be this really unique song that was going to be used just for this and when he mastered Ultra Instinct. It was a really good song to hype up a fight, with 110's guitar instrumental version being one of my favorite battle themes in the series. Theeeeeeen, they used it like 10 times after that for moments that didn't even need it and it lost it's luster pretty soon. Still a good song though.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 pm

It's up there with the best fights in the franchise imo. To this day I still get chills when Beerus says "he's coming" and goku emerges from the rubble with that godly pillar of light like a straight badass. Definitely one of the best fights in the TOP and dbs as a whole. Ultra Instinct is also one of the best transformations in the entire franchise to me.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 pm

I was just scrolling through Weeb Simpsons and realised they missed a hell of a trick by not doing a gag likening the one hour special to 'Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie'. It writes itself:

"Once in a great while, we are privileged to experience a television event so extraordinary, it becomes part of our shared heritage. 1969: Man walks on the moon. 1971: Man walks on the moon… again. Then, for a long time, nothing happened. Until tonight.

Son Goku vs Jiren!"

Honestly, it felt like it was leading up to a Poochie thing. All this hype and marketing for a fight with an antagonist we knew nothing about and the promise of yet another new transformation to add to the pile. I was worried it was going to be an embarrassing flop. But it landed like crazy, giving us one of the best fights, the best insert songs and the best new transformation since the original Super Saiyan.

And even though it seemed like just a big fight and Jiren was still one-note, they managed to inject a lot of subtle character moments in as well, like Beerus and the others reacting to Goku's apparent death (special mention to Krillin and Freeza for being the first to go nah, our boy ain't done), the other universes refusing to back down from fighting Jiren before Goku comes back and the little animations it uses during the fight to show how Goku is reacting to the change. Yes I read MozillaVulpix' gush thread about this on Twitter last night, why do you ask?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 pm

I have no real memory of it, I only watched each ep once.

Do people rewatch eps constantly? I usually wait a few years before I revisit something again.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:09 pm

precita wrote:I have no real memory of it, I only watched each ep once.

Do people rewatch eps constantly? I usually wait a few years before I revisit something again.
If it's a really good episode I find myself watching it numerous times.
I've probably re-watched episode's 130 and 131 more than 10 times each :lol: .

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:12 pm

precita wrote:I have no real memory of it, I only watched each ep once.

Depends on the show and how much one loves it. The episode of the DB franchise that I've probably seen the most is Z 184.

I'm a Dragon Ball fan but I couldn't stand to watch Super, tbh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:14 pm

I only rewatch shows in order, I also never pick out a random ep to rewatch. I have to watch at least a complete saga from beginning to end.