Who are the most underrated DB Characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Who are the most underrated DB Characters?

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Who do you think are the characters that don't get credit they deserve (not in-universe, but for how well conceived/written they are) or/and get to much hate from the fandom?

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Who are the most underrated DB Characters?

Post by Doctor. » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Paragus. He's the closest the series has got to a relatable villain.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:58 pm

I'd say Krillin, he was one of the most useful character in the early parts of Z. Goten is also underrated.
Last edited by Spider-Man on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Fat Boo, he's one of the highlights of the last manga arc and deserves way more respect than he gets.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Janemba and King Vegeta. So much can be done with them.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Definitely Krillin.
I would like to say Yamcha too, but the poor guy definitely has nothing going for him.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Tenshinhan isn't as well utilized as he should be.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Ribrianne (no sarcasm)

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Pan.
Enough said. She is the most underrated and overhated character.

Other characters: Mr Satan, Chichi, Tien, Good Buu, Yamcha, Raditz
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34 pm

My list (in no order):

1. Paragus - One of the few truly sympathetic villains in all of DB. Pretty well done character.

2. Fat Buu - The most unique and interesting of all the Buus, and the only one that doesn't come across as a knock off of a previous villain. Its a shame how he seems to be the least popular of the bunch (was the West preferring Super Buu and Japan preferring Kid Buu).

3. Cabba - Actually a pretty good character who wasn't fully development (yet I hope). He's a nice addition to the cast and helps humanize Vegeta some more.

4. Baby - Easily the best character to ever debut in GT. I bet if he wasn't a GT character, more people would realize how well conceived he was. He actually had more substance and gravitas to him than most other non-redeemed villains in the franchise except Freeza, Black/Zamasu, Mira & Towa and Demigra.

5. Caulifla & Kale (anime version) - Powerscaling issues aside (which were never all that severe compared to many other instances in the franchise), these 2 bring a lot to the series and are pretty entertaining to watch. Also, way too many people overlook Kale's character development in the anime version of the ToP.

6. Zamasu (not Black) - Goku Black gets enough credit as it is, but Zamasu doesn't. Much of what makes Goku Black a great villain comes from Zamasu, yet many don't realize it.

7. Broly - Easily the biggest target of contrarian/hipster hate in the DB fandom. Most of the criticism thrown at him could just as easily (and more fittingly) be applied to most of the other movie villains and series side villains in general. There's no way Broly would be so popular and idolized by large chunks on Broly if he was as terrible of a character as his haters believe.

8. Lunch - This is more of the fault of Toriyama than the fandom. A great character that was thrown away and forgotten.

9. Vegeta - Yes, you heard that right. Out of all of the main Z-fighters, Vegeta (both before and after Super was created) easily gets the most hate thrown at him (usually laced with double standards and hypocrisy compared to how these same people treat other chracters). No one else in the franchise is the source of more flame wars and heated arguments than Vegeta. And at least 90% of the criticism thrown at his character (in any of the series) is pure bullshit when viewed objectively.

10. Goten - I actually thought he was a more interesting character than Gohan was in the Buu saga and GT. He does the whole "cute kid" thing better than both Kid Goku and Kid Gohan ever did, and the GT version of his character is actually pretty cool (he could have worked as GT's protagonist, that would have been a much better idea that turning Goku into a kid again smh). As a kid he has a likeable, very intuitive and friendly personally. Yet, many in the fandom write him off as being just as obnoxious and annoying as Kid Trunks & Gotenks are (which isn't true in the slightest).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:55 pm

Chichi.

Dead serious

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Yamcha

Lunch

Chichi & Gyuumao

Buruma's parents

Oolong (Particularly with his voice actor)

Karin-sama

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Pan,Baby,Nuova Shenron,General Rildo&Krillin
GT Fighter

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:14 am

I'm going to say Zamasu too because both normal Zamasu and Fused Zamasu are amazingly-designed villains, with fantastic voice actors and unique techniques. Plus the very idea of an evil Kai is singular in Dragon Ball. I suppose that most people love Goku Black and very few prefer Zamasu over him, but I am a member of that tiny minority.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 am

Pan, Dende, Yajirobe, Cabba, Tien, Turles.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 am

There's a lot of characters I could (and probably will) list, but for the moment, I can't help but support this:
SupremeKai25 wrote:I'm going to say Zamasu too because both normal Zamasu and Fused Zamasu are amazingly-designed villains, with fantastic voice actors and unique techniques. Plus the very idea of an evil Kai is singular in Dragon Ball. I suppose that most people love Goku Black and very few prefer Zamasu over him, but I am a member of that tiny minority.
I agree 100% with all of this! Gokū Black is a great antagonist on his own, of course, but his partnership and interactions with Future Zamasu (and vice versa) make him even more outstanding, if you ask me.

I love how Future Zamasu was presented in the anime as essentially a fully developed Present Zamasu if he never met Gokū. Then pairing him with another version of himself that did meet Gokū... boy does it make a wild dynamic. That's one reason Fused Zamasu is satisfying as well - he pretty much represents the full manifestation of all of Zamasu's emotions.

Pardon me, I really do think Zamasu is underrated :D But yeah, I also personally prefer Future Zamasu to Gokū Black, though I quite frankly adore every version of the character!

(As a side note, I do also like how Future Zamasu in the manga is more or less the pillar that holds up Black, something that helps me appreciate manga Black a bit more than I otherwise would.)
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:49 pm

Dabura and Dr.Gero were also characters that were underutilized.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Pan, Yamcha, Tien and Goten.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:08 am

The three boys from Universe 2 who gained the power of the Maiden Squadron in their last ep in DBS.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:08 am

Kataphrut wrote:The three boys from Universe 2 who gained the power of the Maiden Squadron in their last ep in DBS.
"The three boys from U2 are underrated". Can't even remember their individual names :lol: nani?!