Does anyone ever actually watch the Z dub with the Kikuchi score?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Does anyone ever actually watch the Z dub with the Kikuchi score?

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:11 pm

I did when I was watching DBZ, due to despising Faulconer's music. Kikuchi's compositions get somewhat weaker into the Boo saga but DBZ had some amazing BGMs, such as the one theme in the Freeza saga with its variations. Possibly the best BGM in the whole franchise.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 pm

I have watched quite a bit of the English dub track with Kikuchi music on my Dragon Boxes, and that is mostly because even though I did see my fair share of the original run of Z's dub with the Faulconer score on Cartoon Network/Toonami as a kid in the early 2000's i really don't have that much of a nostalgic attachment to it. In general i believe that these shows should retain their original intended musical scores whenever possible, and the replacement scores of the variety that Faulconer Productions, Mark Menza and Nathan Johnson produced for the old dub are relics of an era long past. A time back during the early days of anime being a big thing here in the States in the mid 1990's where the musical scores were often changed, mostly in an attempt to cater to the specific audience they were aiming at with their heavily altered versions of the shows. This is not the only case where later, more accurate dubs of other shows have moved away from this for the most part obsolete practice, including the most recent dubs of the Sailor Moon franchise from Viz Media and One Piece under FUNimation.

Sure, the old dub of Z may be a wildly inaccurate product of the times. But i feel with the Kikuchi score i can at least bear it a little more than with the wall to wall electronic synthesized assault that the Team Faulconer score is.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:09 pm

I do. Moments where the old FUNi dub fights or meshes with the music are fun to spot, but in general it brings it one step closer to the series original composition, so it doesn't jar me in the moment.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:25 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:I do. Moments where the old FUNi dub fights or meshes with the music are fun to spot, but in general it brings it one step closer to the series original composition, so it doesn't jar me in the moment.
My thoughts exactly, even though the Z dub is very much a product of the era that it was produced in i believe the addition of the original intended score at least makes it easier to some extent to bear the green level acting of the in house cast especially during the Freeza episodes where they first started out.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:51 am

I grew up with the English dub, but over the years, it became extremely difficult to watch the series with the Faulconer score. Mostly because I also grew up watching the Spanish (Latin-American) dub, which used the Kikuchi score.

I began to notice that the dub score didn't fit quite as well. There are still some memorable tunes, but Kikuchi is just better. At least imo

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:55 am

Not really. It was nice to have before Kai but ever since the Kai dub came out it's been my definitive way of watching Z in English.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:05 am

Used to when I watched that dub. Surprisingly, I initially thought the silence madevthe performances "better."
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:07 pm

If anything, I feel like the movies work really well with the original score. The episodes are 50/50 in my opinion. It’s great at times, awkward during others.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:00 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Not really. It was nice to have before Kai but ever since the Kai dub came out it's been my definitive way of watching Z in English.
Kai has a Kakuchi and a non Kakuchi score too.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 am

ZodaEX wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Not really. It was nice to have before Kai but ever since the Kai dub came out it's been my definitive way of watching Z in English.
I think Ireland knows that. They’re just saying Kai is their preferred way to watch the Z dub so the Z dub with dub music vs Z dub with Japanese music argument is moot as far as they’re concerned

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:44 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
I think Ireland knows that. They’re just saying Kai is their preferred way to watch the Z dub so the Z dub with dub music vs Z dub with Japanese music argument is moot as far as they’re concerned
Same, with Kai's much improved dub it renders the Z dub w/ Japanese score basically not necessary at this point.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:49 am

I feel like if you want to watch the Kikuchi score but with an English dub that would be a good enough reason since the Kikuchi score in Kai is kind of a mess and very limited.

Of course Japanese with English subs would be the best way to get the Kikuchi experience but people have their reaons for not being big on subs.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote:I feel like if you want to watch the Kikuchi score but with an English dub that would be a good enough reason since the Kikuchi score in Kai is kind of a mess and very limited.

Of course Japanese with English subs would be the best way to get the Kikuchi experience but people have their reaons for not being big on subs.
I definitely prefer the Yamamoto score for Kai, of course that only applies to Parts 1-4 as they came before the scandal happened which forced the quick insertion of the Kikuchi tracks into the show in Japan first and then here on the later Part sets and the re release of the Season 1 set in 2012.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:07 pm

I don't watch the dub at all so I guess my answer is no. But if I did I would watch it with the Kikuchi score because I adore his music.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:49 am I feel like if you want to watch the Kikuchi score but with an English dub that would be a good enough reason since the Kikuchi score in Kai is kind of a mess and very limited.

What's "Best" is very subjective though. What's "best" for you isn't necessarily "best" for someone else. For me the "best" way is to watch the show with my favorite voices and favorite score which are factually not the original Japanese voices. You're talking about your favorite and not necessarily the best.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Only bits and it’s not a thing I’d do regularly. I can really only tolerate the Japanese version of Dragon Ball. Granted, I’m likely one of the few posters here who has not a single drop of nostalgia for the English dub at all. Or any dub for that matter beyond “remember how corny that was? LMAO!”

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 am

If i was ever to watch the DBZ dub again, it would basically have to be with the Kikuchi score. The US score is unbearable and pretty much makes the entire thing completely unwatchable. The dub is still abysmal with the Kikuchi score but watching it with the US score is much worse. :sick:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:14 am

I typically despise the FUNi dub for its low quality, for its general existence, and for all it’s done to this world...but I do feel nostalgia for it. As such, the only logical way to watch it is the version on the singles. Not ideal, but till FUNi releases the original broadcast version of their dub, it’ll have to do. The current version of the dub is too different, so it’s not nostalgic, which is the only thing it has going for it. And watching it with Kikuchi’s score not only clashes unbelievablely so, but it just makes me mad the whole time that THAT’S what we got for an English dub of one of the most popular cartoons of all-time. ._.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:48 am

VDenter wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 am If i was ever to watch the DBZ dub again, it would basically have to be with the Kikuchi score. The US score is unbearable and pretty much makes the entire thing completely unwatchable. The dub is still abysmal with the Kikuchi score but watching it with the US score is much worse. :sick:
No, the Japanese version is more unwatchable because of the super low sound quality.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:42 am

ZodaEX wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:48 am
No, the Japanese version is more unwatchable because of the super low sound quality.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1zjyTM7rbJs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4EOPRbjqc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDlQNRJOts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnriaELk_pw

Yes, clearly this is so much more watchable than the Japanese version.