Does anyone ever actually watch the Z dub with the Kikuchi score?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does anyone ever actually watch the Z dub with the Kikuchi score?

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:47 pm

I wonder how many people if given the option would watch DB in Japanese but with the American score.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:40 pm

I watched a couple of episodes of the FUNi dub w/ the original background music, but the mono settings for the music are usually too low for my preference.
It really doesn't not blend with the stereo voice track well as the the voice track imposes the mono musical score.
Its a shame, really.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 am

ABED wrote:I wonder how many people if given the option would watch DB in Japanese but with the American score.
I would. Vegeta's us theme and Cell's us theme would be worth it alone.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:30 am

ABED wrote:I wonder how many people if given the option would watch DB in Japanese but with the American score.
I don't think I'd watch the whole series that way, but I'd definitely be interested in checking out a few select iconic scenes that way, just to see how they'd play out.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:13 am

That seems somehow even MORE pointless than the dub with the Kikuchi score. Cartoon schlock acting with lush orchestral music vs naturalistic acting with cartoon schlock synth music: it'd clash horrendously either way.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
That seems somehow even MORE pointless than the dub with the Kikuchi score. Cartoon schlock acting with lush orchestral music vs naturalistic acting with cartoon schlock synth music: it'd clash horrendously either way.
I know, it's just one of those weird curiosities I have.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
I'd do it once for the absurdity.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:57 pm

I used to watch the old Z dub with the Kikuchi score back when I was a teenager, but recently when I've tried to watch it I usually can't get past the 5 minute mark. I think I switched on to the fact that the acting was complete garbage.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:00 pm

Interesting, though not surprising that the dub w/ Kikuchi's score is less tolerable than the original w/ Faulconer's score.

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 pm

ABED wrote:Interesting, though not surprising that the dub w/ Kikuchi's score is less tolerable than the original w/ Faulconer's score.
Probably because the replacement score was created to fit along side whatever it was that Funimation was trying to turn Dragon Ball into back then, whereas watching it with the Kikuchi score it feels like two different ideas clashing against each other.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:09 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:One thing I have always hated about the Faulconer score was how disjointed it always was with radically different themes for every character and nothing to tie them together into a cohesive product. Then, combined with the constant changing of what is playing based on which primary character happens to be on screen at that moment made for a very unpleasant experience.
Interesting. I've never heard anyone cite that aspect of the Faulconer score as a negative. In fact, that's usually an aspect of the score that Faulconer fans use as a point in its favor.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Shiro97 wrote:
ABED wrote:Interesting, though not surprising that the dub w/ Kikuchi's score is less tolerable than the original w/ Faulconer's score.
Probably because the replacement score was created to fit along side whatever it was that Funimation was trying to turn Dragon Ball into back then, whereas watching it with the Kikuchi score it feels like two different ideas clashing against each other.
I think it's more of the case that the dub is awful.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:37 pm

The Faulconer score sure did blare out the bad acting

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:42 pm

But the Uncut Dub is not bad. Corny at times yes, but the same notions are still conveyed. Plus the JPN score has many instances of silence coupled with the lower sound quality so it's tunes don't "clash" with the Uncut Dub. It's not like the Uncut DB original Dub clashes with the JPN score so why would it clash with the Uncut Z portion?
Right it doesn't.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 pm

GTx10 wrote:But the Uncut Dub is not bad. Corny at times yes, but the same notions are still conveyed. Plus the JPN score has many instances of silence coupled with the lower sound quality so it's tunes don't "clash" with the Uncut Dub. It's not like the Uncut DB original Dub clashes with the JPN score so why would it clash with the Uncut Z portion?
Right it doesn't.
The uncut DB dub doesn't clash as much because it was written to be closer in feel to the original than DBZ was. DBZ's narrator alone will clue you into that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:30 pm

GTx10 wrote:But the Uncut Dub is not bad. Corny at times yes, but the same notions are still conveyed. Plus the JPN score has many instances of silence coupled with the lower sound quality so it's tunes don't "clash" with the Uncut Dub.
The “uncut dub” isn’t all that much different from the edited dub. Funimations “remastering” did little to fix a lot of stupid lines or Schemmel’s inability to act from 1999-2001 ish

If you mean the uncut dub as specifically the 2005 in-house redub of the first 67 episodes as opposed to the edited first 53 Saban-era episodes eh still definitely made with the Johnson score is mind although the music doesn’t clash as badly as trying to watch the s3 dub with the Kikuchi score the acting was also way better in s1 and 2 than the later seasons since they were dubbed last
It's not like the Uncut DB original Dub clashes with the JPN score so why would it clash with the Uncut Z portion?
Right it doesn't.
The original Dragon Ball dub (at the least the in house one) was never made with a replacement score in mind and also captured the spirit of the Japanese show even if the dialog was often way off and suspiciously censored for an alleged uncut product.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TuFd5a_XLhcM

Vs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9mUSxq7Kg

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 pm

Interesting, though I think they'd work a little better (at least in theory) if they could lower the volume of the Falcouner tracks a bit, so they don't blare out the Japanese speaking audio as much - though I guess part of the issue there would probably then be hearing the Japanese music bleed through, assuming there's no way to separate the two.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Interesting, though I think they'd work a little better (at least in theory) if they could lower the volume of the Falcouner tracks a bit, so they don't blare out the Japanese speaking audio as much - though I guess part of the issue there would probably then be hearing the Japanese music bleed through, assuming there's no way to separate the two.
The Xbox One infuriatingly did away with this feature (at least as far as I'm aware), but the Xbox 360 had this awesome feature where you could swap out the background music of the games you were playing with tracks that you uploaded to the 360's hard drive. The cool thing about this feature was that--for the majority of games, anyway--only the music was swapped, and the sound effects and dialogue tracks stayed the same. I used this feature relatively often, sometimes to enhance the gameplay experience by playing what I considered to be more dramatic/appropriate music, and other times as a gag by playing music that purposefully didn't fit at all. As this pertains to DBZ games, I experimented with replacing the provided music with Kikuchi tracks. I also, a few times, experimented with combining the Japanese dialogue track with Faulconer music tracks, jut for the heck of it...they didn't really mix well together, in my opinion, but it was cool from a technical/experimental/"what-if" perspective.

Ugghhhh....bring this feature back to Xbox One, Microsoft!

PS: In doing these music-replacement experiments, I made a fun discovery. If any of you still have the game known as Burst Limit, start playing the Super Saiyan Goku VS Freeza fight, and when this cutscene comes up, start playing Hironobu Kageyama's "Biggest Fight" promptly after Goku says, "Just...like that earthling...!?" You're welcome.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:32 am

ABED wrote:
Shiro97 wrote:
I think it's more of the case that the dub is awful.
Yeah I guess so.