If FUNimation were to release an 'uncut' Ocean Dub release along with JPN/FUNi dubs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

If FUNimation were to release an 'uncut' Ocean Dub release along with JPN/FUNi dubs?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:35 pm

To do so, FUNimation would have to fill in the missing parts with the original Japanese audio but considering Saban chopped off so much content of the episodes, the majority of it would be in Japanese while a small portion in English. So, would it be worth it? Probably not and better to leave as it is.

Mixing the FUNimation dub with the Ocean Dub would create some confusion due to the two being in English, having different voice casts and music.

This thing about merging a dub with the Japanese audio is a practice done by Western anime distributors when a scene was censored but in their case they had all 291 episodes dubbed, with a few mins missing here and there because it was 'too offensive' (but Piccolo's Mankankosappo through Son and Raditz wasn't :lol:).

Thank god the Ocean Dub Movies Z1-3 were at least uncut (3 is available on TV Edited format so that's cool).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: If FUNimation were to release an 'uncut' Ocean Dub release along with JPN/FUNi dubs?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:49 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:To do so, FUNimation would have to fill in the missing parts with the original Japanese audio
Or have the Ocean cast rerecord the episodes. Which would be the only reason to release an “uncut” Ocean dub

but considering Saban chopped off so much content of the episodes
Funimation. Funimation chopped off so much content of the episodes. Saban distributed the show and told Funimation what they weren’t allowed to do but all cuts and edits were made by Funimation. Other than composing the score (which was iirc something Funimation wanted) Saban had basically no creative involvement with the Z dub.

the majority of it would be in Japanese while a small portion in English. So, would it be worth it? Probably not and better to leave as it is.

Mixing the FUNimation dub with the Ocean Dub would create some confusion due to the two being in English, having different voice casts and music.

This thing about merging a dub with the Japanese audio is a practice done by Western anime distributors when a scene was censored but in their case they had all 291 episodes dubbed, with a few mins missing here and there because it was 'too offensive' (but Piccolo's Mankankosappo through Son and Raditz wasn't :lol:).

Thank god the Ocean Dub Movies Z1-3 were at least uncut (3 is available on TV Edited format so that's cool).
[/quote]

Not to be rude but what’s even the point of this post? Funimation barely acknowledges the Ocean dub as is.

They would not release an Uncut Ocean dub with Japanese audio to fill in the gaps as that would be asinine.

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: If FUNimation were to release an 'uncut' Ocean Dub release along with JPN/FUNi dubs?

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:42 pm

There is no "if" about it. The Ocean Group won't be used for any unedited dubs of Dragon Ball Z as FUNimation would rather use their usual suspects in Texas. Anything Ocean related will most likely be for the international dub albeit edited for television standards.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:09 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:To do so, FUNimation would have to fill in the missing parts with the original Japanese audio but considering Saban chopped off so much content of the episodes, the majority of it would be in Japanese while a small portion in English. So, would it be worth it? Probably not and better to leave as it is.

I've never even heard of an English dub being mixed with Japanese voices, although I do know that 4kids used to splice their own music with the Japanese music on shows like Pokemon.

The only way I can see the Ocean dub of the first two seasons with Japanese music like you appear to be suggesting is if Funimation acquired the rights to Ocean's 108-276 dub and decided to release everything Ocean did in a similar manner to the Orange Bricks. But in all likelihood, Rock the Dragon Edition is probably the last Ocean related release we'll ever see
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:09 pm

The practise of splicing an edited dub with Japanese audio to fill in the gaps is more of a thing in Europe. I know a few French releases do that. It's pretty rare in the English world.

I don't think Funimation would change that. The original English dub of Escaflowne was produced by Ocean. For whatever reason, Bandai Entertainment were sent the Japanese TV masters of the show, rather than the home video version, so that's what Ocean made their dub off of. This meant that a few minutes of footage went undubbed. When Funimation came around to re-releasing the show on Blu-Ray, instead of filling those gaps with the Japanese footage, they instead claimed they needed to re-dub the entire show to have it match, or else it would be released sub-only. Re-dub a full 26 episode series (with an entirely separate cast, naturally) and its movie just for <10 minutes of largely superfluous footage. :roll: Of course that was just a bold faced lie. Funimation later added a bonus disc with Ocean's dub to accommodate the episodes that didn't completely sync. The ones that did were just added as another audio track, alongside Funimation's re-dub and the Japanese version.

Suffice to say, Funimation isn't the kind of company that would do that kind of work, especially for something as heavily altered as that 1996 DBZ TV dub. Heck, they don't even include the uncut dubs of movies 1-3 as a bonus on their releases. You have to hunt down the old Pioneer/Geneon DVDs to watch those legally.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:26 pm

I remember some Italian Giallo slasher films that would be dubbed for the English release, but would later have undubbed deleted scenes added back in for a future release. The film Deep Red had this happen so would be dubbed in English for most of the film, but would suddenly be in Italian with the original voices whenever a previously deleted scene came up. It was bizarre but actually added to the surreal dreamlike experience of the film.

For something like Dragonball I can't see this working as well. It would just feel incredibly random, especially when you consider that the Ocean dub scripts were just as altered as the Funimation dub. You would end up with heroic Goku for some scenes and OG Goku for others.

Ocean Kai is your best bet for a consistent way of watching the series with that cast. Apart from that your only hope would be a complete redub from start to finish.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:. Heck, they don't even include the uncut dubs of movies 1-3 as a bonus on their releases. You have to hunt down the old Pioneer/Geneon DVDs to watch those legally.
That reminds me something that greatly annoys me the fact they redubbed those movies when they were done correctly the first time.

I don’t like it but I “get” why they redubbed the first two seasond with their in-house cast so they can bolster a completely uncut release. It’s a shame that effort was half assed basically recycling the 1996 scripts with the removed scenes placed back in and Saban’s censorship notes taken out and some of Funimation’s own more egregious mistakes omitted. But whatever. There was a reason to re-do those episodes

But the Pioneer movies were already uncut and dubbed. Why try to fix something that was never broken all while putting a few cracks and tears yourself? Congrats Funimation you replaced a good dub with your own shitty cast and music.

/rant

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:30 pm

90sDBZ wrote:. It would just feel incredibly random, especially when you consider that the Ocean dub scripts were just as altered as the Funimation dub.
Well yeah because Ocean’s dub scripts for the first two seasons were Funimation’s scripts. And their scripts from episode 108-276 was just copying Funimation’s dub scripts. There really is no “Ocean dub script” per say.

Even when Funimation took to doing the dubbing themselves in-house Ocean employees were helping with the scripting. The line is pretty blurred
Ocean Kai is your best bet for a consistent way of watching the series with that cast.
If it ever gets released.
Apart from that your only hope would be a complete redub from start to finish.
Which would be nice, if improbable, as long as they didn’t just copy Funimation’s own uncut scripts and used closely translated versions of the Japanese scripts. Sadly if it ever happened they would totally just use Funimation’s scripts and while that would result in a much nicer sounding dub on the ears (in theory anyways) you can only polish a turd so much with season 3’s dialog

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:14 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Ocean Kai is your best bet for a consistent way of watching the series with that cast. Apart from that your only hope would be a complete redub from start to finish.
The most consistent way of watching the Ocean dub right now is either the edited Tree of Might dub followed by the Saiyan Saga (same music, same cast, resolution to story), or the Buu saga from start to finish (again, same music, same cast, resolution to story). The Android Saga is inconsistent because of all the cast changes, and you can't lump the Namek Saga with the other Saban episodes because of the change in Goku voices and the fact there is no resolution.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:23 pm

^ Or just watch the uncut Pioneer movies with the Ocean cast. Honestly the best way to appreciate the Ocean cast and its consistent

ETA: I would still watch the Saiyan saga and the edited Tree of Might just for Ian Corlett’s Goku who is still the best English Goku. Also Brian Drummond’s Vegeta since he’s not in the movies

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:^ Or just watch the uncut Pioneer movies with the Ocean cast. Honestly the best way to appreciate the Ocean cast and its consistent
But story wise they aren't really connected at all with each other. The (edited) Tree of Might's theme of Saiyan invasion and usage of characters like Tien and Yamacha on the other hand fits in well with the Saiyan Saga. If you disregard stuff like Turles calling Goku a Saiyan and the Spirit Bomb then it can be placed before the Arrival of Raditz, or after the conclusion of the Vegeta fight if you want to regard it as something that happened years later.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:The practise of splicing an edited dub with Japanese audio to fill in the gaps is more of a thing in Europe. I know a few French releases do that. It's pretty rare in the English world.

I don't think Funimation would change that. The original English dub of Escaflowne was produced by Ocean. For whatever reason, Bandai Entertainment were sent the Japanese TV masters of the show, rather than the home video version, so that's what Ocean made their dub off of. This meant that a few minutes of footage went undubbed. When Funimation came around to re-releasing the show on Blu-Ray, instead of filling those gaps with the Japanese footage, they instead claimed they needed to re-dub the entire show to have it match, or else it would be released sub-only. Re-dub a full 26 episode series (with an entirely separate cast, naturally) and its movie just for <10 minutes of largely superfluous footage. :roll: Of course that was just a bold faced lie. Funimation later added a bonus disc with Ocean's dub to accommodate the episodes that didn't completely sync. The ones that did were just added as another audio track, alongside Funimation's re-dub and the Japanese version.

Suffice to say, Funimation isn't the kind of company that would do that kind of work, especially for something as heavily altered as that 1996 DBZ TV dub. Heck, they don't even include the uncut dubs of movies 1-3 as a bonus on their releases. You have to hunt down the old Pioneer/Geneon DVDs to watch those legally.
So if Funimation was willing to add the Ocean dub to another anime soundtrack for home release, why can't they release the Ocean dub on the uncut movies at the very least? It would be a dream come true if they added the Pioneer dubs to the first 3 films.
And regarding the Ocean Kai dub, why couldn't they add a separate track to the Kai home releases? I know the situation is a bit different considering rights issues, but Canada cannot get their own actors as Funimation has distribution rights here too.

They could even use streaming if they don't want to spend the money on production costs for a home release.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:54 pm

If you're an Escaflowne fan and watched the show in English, until late 2016, those were the only voices you could've known. There wasn't an unsubstantial amount of ire directed Funimation's way for potentially burying the original dub, especially since a UK distributor committed to releasing it on BD before Funimation announced their re-dub. Comparatively, how much of Dragon Ball fandom is hanging onto these 3 movie dubs? Probably less than the amount of people who told Funimation to release DBZ in 4:3 and we know how much they valued those opinions.

Funimation is also really hot and cold when it comes to the Canadian Dragon Ball casts. I'm not sure how much they were specifically involved with Drummond's cameo in Super. My impression is that was more Chris Sabat's doing as Toei USA is more involved with that dub, but either way, Funimation promoted it on social media. The same social media accounts where they've previously described Schemmel and Sabat as part of the original English voice cast of the series ... They put out the Rock the Dragon set years ago and given that has appreciated in price, I assume it didn't sell poorly. Yet we've seen zero re-releases of their other Canadian DB dubs. Moving beyond Dragon Ball, while Funimation dug up Escaflowne's original dub, they're about to bury Ocean's dubs of the live-action Death Note movies. They've given no explanation as to why, though if it's not some weird licensing thing, my speculation is that it's because they're not dubbing the newest movie (I guess they're too cheap to get Ocean back?) and want a consistent experience. In a way, it's kind of funny in a sad sense. They started out 2018 celebrating one of Brian Drummond's most well known roles. They end 2018 by undermining one of his other most well known roles.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see this stuff officially available again but I don't see Funimation doing it. They're not a completionist kind of company. It's been so long now that the extremely vast majority of people are fine with Schemmel and co being the only ones on the disc. In fact, I'm sure there are people who believe they've been the only cast for Dragon Ball. The uncut movie dubs can't really be marketed as a hokey nostalgic one-off. Do the people that handle the Dragon Ball products for Funimation even know they exist? As for the alternate TV dubs, that's not something I ever see them realistically putting out. They had nothing to do with their creation. They're edited, so they can't just be tossed as a neat bonus. I think you're more likely to see Funimation re-release their original dub of season 3 than those.
MasenkoHA wrote:But the Pioneer movies were already uncut and dubbed. Why try to fix something that was never broken all while putting a few cracks and tears yourself? Congrats Funimation you replaced a good dub with your own shitty cast and music.
I don't think it's weird they wanted the three movies to be consistent with the other 10 and the 291-episode TV show. They probably didn't include the original Ocean dub of those movies on their first re-release because they viewed them as obsolete.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.