Why don't we get any Halloween episodes in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Why don't we get any Halloween episodes in Dragon Ball?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:03 am

Greeting everyone. Are you ready for a spooooky Halloween coming up in 9 days? Because I sure am. Mwahahahahahaha! And since Halloween is coming up, I'm going to ask a question about this holiday that I asked of another certain holiday last year, and that is, why don't we get any Halloween episodes in Dragon Ball? I think the best place they could've done it was after the Battle of Gods Arc in place of the Mr Satan episode. Granted, it could've kinda messed up the timeline, and we'd be missing one of the at least Top 5 slice of life episodes in this series, but still, it would been fun to see all our favorite characters dressing up for Halloween, trick or treating, and eating lots of candy! Maybe this would've been a chance to bring back Bulma's bunny costume. Anyone miss that costume? I certainly do. But I digress. Anyway, what do you guys think? Should we have gotten a Halloween episode in Super? Why do you think we get those kinds of episodes? Is it the same reasons why we don't get episodes of that other certain holiday? Hope you have a spooooky Halloween! Mwahahahahahaha! :twisted:
Caulifla best girl! :)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why don't we get any Halloween episodes in Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:05 am

Isn’t Halloween not as big of a deal in Japan as it is in like North America?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 am

The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:11 am

I'm impressed we got Halloween stuff for FighterZ, honestly.

But Halloween's been increasing somewhat in popularity in Japan recently. Precure's gone out of its way to do Halloween episodes for the past several series.

In fact this year's Precure Halloween episode is next week.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Kamen Rider had Halloween theme episodes before. It's not like Halloween is some obscure thing over in Japan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:44 pm

There was a fair amount of Halloween-themed decor and candy in Japan when I was there the other week, but from what I gather it's only gained traction in recent years, as Chuquita mentioned. I don't know about Super, but I'm sure there would've been more had Halloween been a bigger deal in the 80's/90's.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:31 am

I've seen Halloween episodes in 80s/90s anime. Doubt it's anything new to Japan.

To answer OPs question I guess its because DB isn't really an episodic series so it might be harder to fit it in.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:04 pm

Honestly I'd love to see an entire Halloween themed arc in Dragonball. Something along the lines of Thriller Bark from One Piece. A series as lighthearted as DBS could really have fun with the theme.

On a side note I loved the Universal Classic Monsters references in the Fortuneteller Baba Saga.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Would Baba's fighters count as Halloween themed?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Would Baba's fighters count as Halloween themed?
They may as well honestly.

http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:46 pm

There's always the off chance that when Dragon Ball comes back to weekly TV that we'll eventually get that Halloween episode. I kept hoping for one during Super's run and it didn't happen, but maybe next time.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:18 am

I felt a lot of the one-off filler episodes from the Saiyan Saga had a Halloween-y vibe to them, with the Pendulum Room, Arlia, Princess Snake, Fake Moon and Hell episodes all being examples. Or that could just be because the og Ocean dub made them feel like that.

Also If (old) Funimation had their way we would have had a Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving DBZ special every year.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Would Baba's fighters count as Halloween themed?
That's a good point! They all seem to fall under that category

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Halloween? This comes to mind.

Always found this scene pretty graphic and made me feel sorry for Kuririn.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:39 am

Kakacarrottop wrote: Also If (old) Funimation had their way we would have had a Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving DBZ special every year.
Does Freeza saga count as a Christmas special? I mean, some places say it took place in Christmas' Eve. I'm not sure if it's true or not.

If it's true, then I don't think be killed by or kick the ass of a space lizard would qualify as a Merry Christmas. :?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:04 am

Do they even celebrate our holidays in the Dragon World? We've never had a Christmas episode, or April Fool's Day, or Burns Night... it's an odd thing to ask of Dragon Ball IMO. I would find it jarring.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:45 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Do they even celebrate our holidays in the Dragon World? We've never had a Christmas episode, or April Fool's Day, or Burns Night... it's an odd thing to ask of Dragon Ball IMO. I would find it jarring.
Could have sworn we see Lunch in a Santa outfit during the Goku Vs. Freeza fight.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:09 pm

There's some Toriyama art of the characters in Santa suits and a short comic with Lunch wearing a Santa hat, but if it exists in universe it's probably just the merchandise side (though there's that scene where Upa tries to scare Baba's vampire by standing like a cross so who knows. It likely won't be answered).
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:08 pm

With all due respect, I think the concept of having holiday themed episodes in a fighting anime like Dragon Ball is pretty stupid. Any sort of Halloween or Christmas episode would most likely detract from a plot and just seem silly. If they were really desperate and the timing was right, Toei could do a Halloween filler episode for Super but I think it would be kind of dumb personally.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu