If Dragonball was written/directed by another big named anime creator/mangaka, who would you want it to be?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

If Dragonball was written/directed by another big named anime creator/mangaka, who would you want it to be?

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 pm

I personally would like to see a Dragonball saga created by the likes of Gen Urobuchi (Fate/Zero, Magical Madoka), Yoshihiro Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter) or Hirohiko Araki (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure). I honestly think those three would outshine Toriyama big time.

Although I like the Naruto franchise, I would never want Kishimoto to write for Dragonball. And lord forbid anyone as bad as Tite Kubo (Bleach) ever get their hands on the franchise lmao.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by zarmack on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Re: If Dragonball was written/directed by another big named anime creator/mangaka, who would you want it to be?

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:58 pm

One/Yusuke Murata.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: If Dragonball was written/directed by another big named anime creator/mangaka, who would you want it to be?

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:06 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:One/Yusuke Murata.
They're almost perfect for Dragonball. I'm surprised I didn't think of them earlier.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:42 pm

From the manga side this are my candidates

Writer:

1) Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto)
2) Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist)
3) Hiroyuki Takei (Shaman King)

Any of them is fine my me, I pick them mainly for being big fan of their work.

Artist:

1) Katsura Hoshino (D-Gray Man)
2) Atsushi Ōkubo (Soul Eater)
3) Takeshi Obata (Death Note)

Mainly for how unlike Dragon Ball their art style is, it would be an interesting thing to look at, I always wanted a full on manga drawn by other artist's style instead of just some small pieces of fanart or tribute pieces.

-------------------------

From the anime side this are my candidates

Director:

Hiroyuki Imaishi (Kill La Kill)

The man has an over the top directing that I love.

Character Designer/Animation Supervisor

Sushio (Kill La Kill)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:52 pm

zarmack wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:One/Yusuke Murata.
They're almost perfect for Dragonball. I'm surprised I didn't think of them earlier.
Not sure how I feel about that

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:59 am

Togashi or Rumi Takahashi would be apt choice

Dragon world is a lore extensively detailed with OtherWorld, Demon World, Living World, Gods, Angels, Humans, Aliens (Saiyans, Namekians, Tuffles, Majins) & the way how Toriyama intricately crafted his plot revolving around them is masterful tbh

I think Takashi'a Inuyasha is one such example, in the sense of long, adventurous journey

Togashi however emphasizes more on drama & grand-scheme of things.

I'm okay with both of them tbh

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:38 am

I'd probably go for Tetsuo Hara, if only for the novelty of seeing Goku and co. in his style.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:29 am

Rather than default to the usual suspects of Shonen Jump alumnus (though I've always loved the idea of Tetsuo Hara or Togashi taking a crack at DB), I'm gonna go very much outside the box for my choices.

For keeping things relatively within Dragon Ball's more familiar whimsical wheelhouse, there's Takeshi Maekawa. Virtually his entire career is largely made up of and defined by lighthearted Wuxia manga drawn in a very traditional manga style (most notably Tekken Chinmi, his longest-running and most successful series), and he'd probably be a very natural, seamless fit for DB whilst still having an art style that is a distinct departure from Toriyama's familiar aesthetic.
And if I were to go for a REALLY dramatic departure from what is closely familiar to Dragon Ball's overall tone and aesthetic, and go with a more Gekiga/Seinen focused artist (that isn't Hara anyway), my pick would have to be Akio Tanaka, of Shamo fame. Shamo as a manga in general is about as FAR the hell away from Dragon Ball as any manga can conceivably get... however its Black Monkey arc (named for a main villain who styles himself after none other than Sun Wukong) is notoriously something of a massive detour for the otherwise gritty, hyper-realistic crime series that delves into Wuxia territory of all things for a few volumes. And the results speak for themselves, and I think could make for a fascinating alternative take on something as fancifully demented as Dragon Ball.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:33 am

Would be interesting, if slice of life part of Dragon Ball (Like Gohan High School adventure) was outsourced to different studio, like Doga Kobo. Similar to Full Metal Panic, with KyoAni making Fumoffu :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:55 am

For the manga, Toriyama is irreplaceable even though he's not my favourite writer.
For the anime, Bones would be the studio and Yuya Takahashi the character designer.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Rather than default to the usual suspects of Shonen Jump alumnus (though I've always loved the idea of Tetsuo Hara or Togashi taking a crack at DB), I'm gonna go very much outside the box for my choices.

For keeping things relatively within Dragon Ball's more familiar whimsical wheelhouse, there's Takeshi Maekawa. Virtually his entire career is largely made up of and defined by lighthearted Wuxia manga drawn in a very traditional manga style (most notably Tekken Chinmi, his longest-running and most successful series), and he'd probably be a very natural, seamless fit for DB whilst still having an art style that is a distinct departure from Toriyama's familiar aesthetic.
And if I were to go for a REALLY dramatic departure from what is closely familiar to Dragon Ball's overall tone and aesthetic, and go with a more Gekiga/Seinen focused artist (that isn't Hara anyway), my pick would have to be Akio Tanaka, of Shamo fame. Shamo as a manga in general is about as FAR the hell away from Dragon Ball as any manga can conceivably get... however its Black Monkey arc (named for a main villain who styles himself after none other than Sun Wukong) is notoriously something of a massive detour for the otherwise gritty, hyper-realistic crime series that delves into Wuxia territory of all things for a few volumes. And the results speak for themselves, and I think could make for a fascinating alternative take on something as fancifully demented as Dragon Ball.
Speaking of Seinen authors, it'd be pretty cool to see Naoki Urasawa's take on Dragon Ball. Maybe in a similar vein to what he did with Pluto. Only other guy I can think of is Inoue, purely for aesthetic reasons though. That guy has an amazing stlye.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:42 pm

I'd love to see something bizarre like the guys who did Death Note working on it, just to see what odd, different, weird version they'd come up with.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I'd love to see something bizarre like the guys who did Death Note working on it, just to see what odd, different, weird version they'd come up with.
Uh yeah... about that.

So awhile back (circa 2008/2009 or so) Konami decided to make a Castlevania fighting game called Castlevania Judgement. And they recruited Takeshi Obata, illustrator of Death Note, to do radically reinterpreted character redesigns of the entire cast of the long running classic video game series. Sounds perfectly fine enough on paper.

In practice however, the results ended up being... well...
So yeah. I got nothing against Death Note itself (for a 2000s Shonen Jump title, its at the very least something refreshingly different and unique from the usual grind of unbearably sappy and maudlin Dragon Ball wannabes), but after the dumpster fire that was Castlevania Judgement, I'd prefer if Obata never, ever, ever, EVER, ever try his hand at visually reinterpreting a classic property of any sort ever again.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:59 pm

• Masashi Kishimoto - we would get more of Bardock, Gine, King Vegeta and other past characters.

• Al Ewing - we would get to know the origin of the Multiverse, more about Zeno and the angels.

• Eiichiro Oda - we would get more adventures.

• Dimps/the creators of Dragon Ball Online - we would get more interesting stories.

Honorable mention:

• Akira Toriyama (between 1984 and 1995) - we would get more beautiful artstyle.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Maybe the guy who did Yu Yu Hakusho? That was something of a DBZ rip off so that was probably the closest to what Toroyama did.

If it was done by Kishimoto then it would be bogged down with flashbacks and sob stories.

It'd be even worse if it was done by Oda because the art would be poor and it would be nothing but repetitive jokes and gimmicks.

If it was done by the guy who did Fairy Tail then it'd be nothing but fanservice to the prepubescents.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Bullza wrote:Maybe the guy who did Yu Yu Hakusho? That was something of a DBZ rip off so that was probably the closest to what Toroyama did.
We've been going over why YYH is NOT a ripoff of DB in excruciating detail over in this thread.

By this logic, everything that has ever tackled martial arts fantasy concepts and themes of any sort are ALL collectively ripping off DB (despite the fact that untold COUNTLESS works tackling those very same themes and concepts predate Dragon Ball by literally THOUSANDS of years). If anything, many of the anime/manga that are the most shameless ripoffs of Dragon Ball/Z tend to be titles without almost ANY martial arts fantasy components whatsoever (or at least have them fairly downplayed/minimized).

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Well not that I'm going to read through all that but Yu Yu Hakusho was a series that ran at around the same time that Dragon Ball Z began to blow up. It began as a completely different kind of series that ended up randomly changing into a story about a young guy who could fire blue energy blasts from his hands fighting against powerful enemies, demons, in a martial arts Tournament.

One of these enemies being the spiky black haired midget Hiei who became a moody ally, a clear Vegeta wannabe.

They then continued with ever increasing powerful enemies, with multiple transformations,hidden power within due to some unique ancestry and with power levels being given as high numbers.

It was always a cash in of Dragon Ball even down to them making the Yu Yu Hakusho Dark Tournament game on the PS2, many years after the series had ended to try and cash in on the success that the Dragon Ball Z Budokai games were having at the same time.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Yoshihiro Togashi, Tohru Fujisawa and Takehiko Inoue are authors I'd like to see take a shot at Dragon Ball. Not necessarily because they're my favorite artists but because I feel like their style would lend itself well to DB.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Bullza wrote:It began as a completely different kind of series that ended up randomly changing into a story about a young guy who could fire blue energy blasts from his hands fighting against powerful enemies, demons, in a martial arts Tournament.

One of these enemies being the spiky black haired midget Hiei who became a moody ally, a clear Vegeta wannabe.

They then continued with ever increasing powerful enemies, with multiple transformations,hidden power within due to some unique ancestry and with power levels being given as high numbers.
All of this has precedent in plenty of other franchises besides Dragon Ball, even within the pages of Weekly Shonen Jump itself.

Togashi certainly took inspiration from Toriyama and Dragon Ball, but it's not what you're trying to say it is.
Bullza wrote:It was always a cash in of Dragon Ball even down to them making the Yu Yu Hakusho Dark Tournament game on the PS2, many years after the series had ended to try and cash in on the success that the Dragon Ball Z Budokai games were having at the same time.
Commissioned/requested by FUNimation, who had at that point in time recently acquired the sub-license (the game never received a Japanese release).

FUNimation trying to replicate the success of one of their sub-licenses based on another one is not equatable to the larger franchise and rights-holders as a whole doing that.

Discourse ProTip: Don't say "I'm not going to read all that" when someone responds to you with things to read that answer your question, forcing others to repeat themselves to say the same thing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Jesus Christ those designs.
Kunzait_83 wrote: Obata's Simon Belmont
That is literally a red-haired Light Yagami.
Kunzait_83 wrote: Obata's Maria Renard
That looks exactly like Misa.
Obata's Grant Danasty
And I don't know what that's supposed to be, but the face is L's.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.