A sequel to GT, should it happen?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

A sequel to GT, should it happen?

Post by Xeztin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:33 pm

We’ve literally gone off the wall in the past few years bringing movie villiains into the main continuity and everything about Super DB Heroes is off the wall as well. We’ve almost got every what if fusion, arc, character, fan serviced moment that fans have asked for over the past few decades. Literally, almost everything even bringing back Trunks and an evil Goku not to mention Broly. But~ there is one. One that has been semi-ignored and has been bothering me which is Dragon Ball GT. They haven’t done much with it... Super Heroes is the only media thats trying to use it and while I appreciate that I’m very confused as why they haven’t tried to expand upon it or any other company for that matter. GT had its flaws as does all media but I’m very much intrigued to what an official sequel would look like. It doesn’t have to be a manga or anime, even an arc surpassing SSJ4 in the game would be enough. Why haven’t they tried to expand upon GT and SSJ4 in Heroes? They are coming out with SSJ4 Vegito, they can’t do much more other than give that to the remaining. I’m confused as why they haven’t tried a unique form beyond that or centered an arc around it. Also, I’d love to see a GT sequel one day, penned by Toyo or animated as well. What do you guys think? Is it too far out or is anything possible? I think the SDBH manga is our best bet in the current arc of Xeno Goku surpassing SSJ4.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: A sequel to GT, should it happen?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:40 am

I feel like that ship has long sailed. While Heroes is still doing stuff for GT, I think doing a sequel to GT would be a bad move. Seeing how many people dislike GT, most people will probably skip out on it. They will probably go beyond DBZ and pretend GT never happened.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:02 am

Well technically the GT special is the last 'episode' of GT and besides Pan all of the main characters have died. Yes, we have Goku and Vegeta jr but to build a franchise around those two seems silly.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:16 am

If they can get someone who's willing and excited to tell the story, then yes, I don't see why not. Could be a fun time.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:05 am

We got one.

It was Victory Mission.

It's a shame it went unfinished, because I think it has one of the best spins on a post-GT continuation I've seen (if not the best, because the standard take is imagining something set nearly immediately after the original series that undoes its themes to drag the Dragon Balls and Goku back, while Toyotaro rolls with its ending and leverages the game promotion to tell a next-generation story about basically normal people trying to live up to the past).

It's way better than it has any right to be and was the most surprisingly pleasant new Dragon Ball anything I encountered in 2018. The ship has probably sailed on this too, but I'd have loved to have seen some sort of animated version that un-generics the script a bit, fleshes it out slightly, and caps it off.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:02 am

Besides SS4 the DBGT brand isn't profitable. DBS and SBDH are. Simple as that. Making a sequel to a failed show would be foolish for toei at this point especially when they're focusing the majority of their time and resources on DBS.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:41 am

I don't know if Super or GT is better, but to be fair to GT, it was a victim of timing. It came at the tail end of a non-stop decade long run. The fans were burned out. I don't think it should happen. It's not only confusing given everything that's happened since, but GT ended on a very definitive note.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:46 am

Nokra wrote:Besides SS4 the DBGT brand isn't profitable. DBS and SBDH are. Simple as that. Making a sequel to a failed show would be foolish for toei at this point especially when they're focusing the majority of their time and resources on DBS.
That's nonsense. There are even many people who want a GT remake or a GT Super Edition so there would also not be any problem for a GT sequel. There are enough people that appreciated GT more once Super came out, a lot of them gace off hyperbolic statements but still it very much shows that people are willing to admit that there is a lot they like about what they considered to not be that good. And that goes beyond a monkey man.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:48 am

Yes and no.

If sequel would just make Goku return it would ruin amazing ending GT had so such sequel can't have Goku in it at all or maybe only in form of ghost like "A Hero's Legacy", last EP or mysterious help like Gohan got against Bojack or Broly.
It would be cool to see sequel about Pan and Uub being main heroes but seeing how even such popular character as Gohan can't become main character this simply won't work. You can't have DB without Goku doing the job. You just can't. It will never work. Even Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. wouldn't work unless they would be total ripoffs of Goku and Vegeta which is pointless and dumb. I wouldn't personally care for lack of Goku and Vegeta, but most people probably would.

I guess it would be the best if GT got sequel in form of mini series, special episode or OVA.
Perhaps Pan could reach SSJ there which would make many people happy.

Full sequel with Goku being main hero would ruin everything GT worked for.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:33 am

Cipher wrote:We got one.

It was Victory Mission.

It's a shame it went unfinished, because I think it has one of the best spins on a post-GT continuation I've seen (if not the best, because the standard take is imagining something set nearly immediately after the original series that undoes its themes to drag the Dragon Balls and Goku back, while Toyotaro rolls with its ending and leverages the game promotion to tell a next-generation story about basically normal people trying to live up to the past).

It's way better than it has any right to be and was the most surprisingly pleasant new Dragon Ball anything I encountered in 2018. The ship has probably sailed on this too, but I'd have loved to have seen some sort of animated version that un-generics the script a bit, fleshes it out slightly, and caps it off.
True, true. I do love Victory Mission. I just wish Viz had a full English release of it... Or that it had at least been scanlated in full... :lol:

It's a really neat thing. I'd love to see more of it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:43 am

Not interested. I hated GT and probably would have hated a sequel even more.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:50 am

Cetra wrote:
Nokra wrote:Besides SS4 the DBGT brand isn't profitable. DBS and SBDH are. Simple as that. Making a sequel to a failed show would be foolish for toei at this point especially when they're focusing the majority of their time and resources on DBS.
That's nonsense. There are even many people who want a GT remake or a GT Super Edition so there would also not be any problem for a GT sequel. There are enough people that appreciated GT more once Super came out, a lot of them gace off hyperbolic statements but still it very much shows that people are willing to admit that there is a lot they like about what they considered to not be that good. And that goes beyond a monkey man.
Just because some internet randoms like certain aspects of GT other than SS4 doesn't mean toei/toriyama see it that way. And if there really was as much fan demand around the world, especially in Japan, for GT storylines/ideas to be adapted into Super I'm sure they would've done it by now. DBS is primarily a fan service show (not a bad thing to me) so if the GT fans really wanted GT, toriyama and toei would've given the GT fans what they want by now. Just look at Broly. He is a super popular character in the west and Japan so they not only gave him his own movie but a universe 6 counterpart in Kale. Basically, Broly as a single character is more profitable than GT is as a whole series which shows just how irrelevant GT is at this point in the DB franchise.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Nokra wrote:Broly as a single character is more profitable than GT is as a whole series which shows just how irrelevant GT is at this point in the DB franchise.
He is also more profitable than Super except for movie he appears in. Just saying.
Adding GT content into Super or making it counterparts is pointless because GT takes place after Super.
And movies were far less relevant than GT so even if they included Tuffles into Super, they wouldn't bring "canon" Baby into it because it's character associated with important saga and SSJ4 transformation. Broly is just random villain. Very popular but completely irrelevant in story. Retconning him is completely harmless.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Super could end up vearing into GT territory, not just in it's placement of the timeline, but with GT's ideas in itself. So I don't think the idea of GT sequel is dead just yet. I mean, if Broly can get the "Continuity Reboot", anything can fucking happen.

Now should I think a GT sequel can happen? Honestly, anything that can provide a intriguing take on an ongoing Dragon Ball story without Goku in the main picture is fine by me.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Nah GT for me is the perfect ending series for DragonBall
GT Fighter

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:12 pm

As neat as I think a few of Super's main ideas and concepts are on paper (Multiverse, Gods of Destruction, a rogue Kaioshin, God Ki, a free for all battle royal tournament, etc.) overall I still maintain that GT should've remained the end of the series. So no. Definitely no GT sequel. GT's ending was a perfect enough final note to end the whole thing off on as it was. Just let this current revival finish running its course and then lets leave the series alone for good and move on.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Nokra wrote:

Just because some internet randoms like certain aspects of GT other than SS4 doesn't mean toei/toriyama see it that way. And if there really was as much fan demand around the world, especially in Japan, for GT storylines/ideas to be adapted into Super I'm sure they would've done it by now. DBS is primarily a fan service show (not a bad thing to me) so if the GT fans really wanted GT, toriyama and toei would've given the GT fans what they want by now. Just look at Broly. He is a super popular character in the west and Japan so they not only gave him his own movie but a universe 6 counterpart in Kale. Basically, Broly as a single character is more profitable than GT is as a whole series which shows just how irrelevant GT is at this point in the DB franchise.
lol GT irrelevant? Yes it’s the most hated series but this dosen‘t make GT irrelevant I see people Talking every day about GT on Twitter,Kanzenshuu,YouTube,Reddit...I see Youtubers still making GT videos I see DB heroes using SSJ4,Golden Oozaru&Shadow Dragons&as a GT Fan i don’t want anything GT related to be in super especially when super takes place before GT
GT Fighter

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Jord wrote:Well technically the GT special is the last 'episode' of GT and besides Pan all of the main characters have died. Yes, we have Goku and Vegeta jr but to build a franchise around those two seems silly.
I've read a fanmanga called Dragon Ball Centuries who started on the principle to use Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr as main character with some original new others character too.

Fanmanga on hiatus atm but if you are curious
https://www.deviantart.com/karoine/gall ... -Centuries

As for a sequel to GT mmmmmm that can be possible I guess but either you get ride of the GT 100 Years after and use our main cast or you use Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr as new protagonist. the later seems more likely first you can use new Seiyu to voice those youngs lads because the current cast start to be old (let's be honest) second I think with the fanmanga of Toyotaro and Dragon Ball Online you can use some elements for create something fresh.

To be honest I always have in mind that Toei, Shueisha, Bandai Namco and why not Sunrise could use Dragon Ball to create a overall wide lore. Dragon Ball GT being part of one Keeping the GT Lore as itself and expand it enhance it and make it better with why not few retcon just to be sure GT get out better than ever before.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:57 am

I am so utterly against the idea of bringing Goku and Vegeta Jr. back as protagonists it's ridiculous. That was one of the reasons Victory Mission really worked for me in spite of it being a promotional series (though there are times it barely seems to care about that). To the extent that a GT sequel is worth exploring, it's on the terms of a fairly limited run, showing that in the aftermath of the series, regular, ordinary people really are capable of channeling the spirit of Goku and co. without basically being Goku and co. Sort of a happy coda to GT's ending leaving things in question, but without keeping things so tightly and lazily tied to the main lore.

No (usable) Dragon Balls, no Goku. Those are the terms.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:06 pm

A full anime-sequel, that's not going to happen. I don't think GT-fans however are that badly 'served' within the franchise. Its concepts live on in videogames, DB Heroes anime and manga, other merchandise and some of them could even be re-adapted into the main continuity one day as fanservice.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.