Times when Anime outdid the manga scenes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Times when Anime outdid the manga scenes

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:18 am

Dragon Ball manga is well praised for being a well paced manga compared to how things went rather slowly. But, sometimes due to break-neck pace of the manga some things were rather rushed a little or not explored that well. But sometimes the anime took things from source material and improved it in anime version.

For me, these are :
1) Goku vs Majin Vegeta Fight
2) Trunks the Story adaptation
3) all the Super Saiyan Transformations
4) The Final Kamehameha clash with everyone in anime helping Gohan and how it ended
5) the fillers between Piccolo Daimao arc and 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai helping in making the Time Skip feeling less Rushed
6) Goku going along with Yajirobe to drink the poisonous water and earning it in anime
7) the episodes between End of Namek to start of Androids arc giving breathing time to audience
8. the fillers in Ten days before Cell Games
9) that Chris Jericho Move Goku used Against Tenshinhan in 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai was nice addition
10) all the flashback scenes of Freeza-Saiyans in Anime
11) high-school Gohan fillers
12) the fillers after Goku killed Kid Boo helped a lot in fleshing out characters after the defeat since in manga its wrapped up in 2 chapters
13) all the filler scenes of Goku and Gohan in RoSaT
14) Future Trunks Flashbacks of how he suffered in RoSaT while training
15) Cell Flashbacks of his backstory and same for Future Trunks
Maybe i am missing some more but here are the ones i remember, what do you think?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Times when Anime outdid the manga scenes

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:14 am

The Saiyan arc training filler. When I read the manga adaptation of the story years later I was shocked by how quickly that material flew by.

The anime version does a lot for Gohan's character development. Plus most of the training filler is pretty fun. Goku's adventures along Serpent Path, scenes of Piccolo bonding with Gohan, the Earthlings getting a reality check in the time chamber, even Vegeta and Nappa massacring a bunch of bug people is great.

Watching the show for the first time, it really helped build up anticipation for the fight. In a lot of cases, I feel like filler kinda gets in the way and just delays the story...but in the Saiyan arc it really works for me.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm

I will say that in a general sense, the anime does a good job in at least the Dragon Ball era of fleshing out the fight sequences from the manga, at least when it doesn't introduce its own bouts that of course amount to nothing because it has to fit what the manga did.

I agree with the addition of Goku and Gohan in the RoSaT, it really helped flesh out their relationship and established a sorely-needed father/son bond.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Its absurd but given the nature of SS3, I think prolonging the transformation fits it well.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:03 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Its absurd but given the nature of SS3, I think prolonging the transformation fits it well.
I agree, it really emphasises how strenuous it is on the body and just how plain difficult it is to achieve in the first place.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:41 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Its absurd but given the nature of SS3, I think prolonging the transformation fits it well.
It fits well in-context, too. Goku was trying to buy time so that Trunks could get the dragon radar. It makes sense he'd artificially increase the transformation time.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:43 pm

All the Super Saiyan introductions are better than their manga counterparts, but not too much else.

I actually hate that the other characters help Gohan during the beam struggle against Cell. It takes away considerably from Vegeta’s moment.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Tenshinhan not being wasted with his Mafuuba but actually using it.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Literally every single fight scene.

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I can only enjoy the manga for the more dialogue-heavy scenes. Granted, being introduced to Dragon Ball through the anime first probably has something to do with it, but black-and-white still frames have nothing on colored motion when it comes to fight scenes, in my opinion. Especially when you're dealing with fights with the speed and intensity of Dragon Ball.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:03 pm

The one moment I enjoyed in the anime more than the manga was Gohan going Super Saiyan 2. Not that I take any issue whatsoever with the manga version. It's solely because Spirit Vs. Spirit, the song that accompanies the scene in the Japanese version, is one of my favorite DB songs.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:06 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Literally every single fight scene.

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I can only enjoy the manga for the more dialogue-heavy scenes. Granted, being introduced to Dragon Ball through the anime first probably has something to do with it, but black-and-white still frames have nothing on colored motion when it comes to fight scenes, in my opinion. Especially when you're dealing with fights with the speed and intensity of Dragon Ball.
That's Unpopular opinion from what I saw on this site. Also, Mangasee has Saiyan and Namek arc in colors, reading it will help you realize the Genius of Toriyama's paneling and choreography. I think the fights flow VERY well in the Manga. Sometimes anime steps up like in Tenkaichi Budokai fights or Reacoom fights or Goku vs Cell but overall Manga fights to me look much better in flow.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:42 pm

The biggest moment that does it for me is when Piccolo, Krillin, Yamcha and Tien step in to help Gohan. They each give their reasons to keep on fighting and it makes the struggle between Gohan and Cell even more powerful.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Just off the top of my head...

Vegeta VS Reacoome in DBZ 64.
The entirety of Goku vs Cell in DBZ 179.
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

ratbomb

Post by ratbomb » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm not sure on most peoples opinion on the other world tournament, but I've always liked it for introducing characters like Pikkon and bringing back the Kaioken.
Too bad it's only a filler arc and none of it is canon, would really like to see Pikkon make a return.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:19 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:1) Goku vs Majin Vegeta Fight
This is the first one that came to mind when I saw the thread. Not sure I agree with much else.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Pretty much anything in the Buu saga.
Also Future Trunks vs Frieza.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:00 pm

ratbomb wrote:I'm not sure on most peoples opinion on the other world tournament, but I've always liked it for introducing characters like Pikkon and bringing back the Kaioken.
Too bad it's only a filler arc and none of it is canon, would really like to see Pikkon make a return.
I liked it as well, and I wished they expanded upon on Goku's otherworldy activities such as how he got SSJ3 or the martial arts master he met.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:20 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Literally every single fight scene.

I highly recommend picking up the Saiyan and Namek arcs in Full Colour, it does wonders in bringing life and clarity to the already incredible lineart.

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tavarano » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:35 am

Makankosappo penetration of Raditz and Goku, the design of the beam is a lot better, it has that beautiful differently shaded moment, blood spit, great voice acting from Raditz, only thing that could really be improved is the electricity around the beam as it's a bit stiff since it's just 2 frames switching. I will say it annoys me how badly kai butchered that scene - ruined pacing by cutting frames mindlessly, has shittily redrawn frames, all blood removed, from one of the greatest scenes to a poor one.
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:48 am

Doctor. wrote:
It fits well in-context, too. Goku was trying to buy time so that Trunks could get the dragon radar. It makes sense he'd artificially increase the transformation time.
But he then pops into it easily vs Gotenksbuu and kid Buu....
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.