Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:00 am

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:42 pm The Funi Z 30th Aniversary Collection? If the Spain collection is only going to be the original Dragon Ball series, I doubt the two remasters are related. Remember that Funi never released a remaster of the original series based directly on film.
And we don't know if S.V is upscalping or not. Most fans seem to think upscale. We don't even know if they are doing full screen or wide screen.

Hugo2003DBZ

Post by Hugo2003DBZ » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:46 am

SSJGAffleck wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 am Sorry if this was already said and I missed it but does anyone know how many episodes will be on each set?
In the first BOX, 28 episodes

According to Amazon it is in 4:3...

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:07 am

Hugo2003DBZ wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:46 am
SSJGAffleck wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 am Sorry if this was already said and I missed it but does anyone know how many episodes will be on each set?
In the first BOX, 28 episodes

According to Amazon it is in 4:3...
https://www.amazon.es/Dragon-Ball-Box-E ... blu&sr=8-1

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:45 am

The rating on amazon says that it's suitable for all audiences, is this normal for other dragon ball releases in spain?
Because Dragon Ball has some fairly inappropriate stuff in it so this makes me worried that this release might have some censorship.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:37 pm

armyandstuff wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:45 am The rating on amazon says that it's suitable for all audiences, is this normal for other dragon ball releases in spain?
Because Dragon Ball has some fairly inappropriate stuff in it so this makes me worried that this release might have some censorship.
No release in Spain of Dragon Ball has ever been censored, only TV airings and those were because the French masters were. DB super is another story though.

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:37 pm
armyandstuff wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:45 am The rating on amazon says that it's suitable for all audiences, is this normal for other dragon ball releases in spain?
No release in Spain of Dragon Ball has ever been censored, only TV airings and those were because the French masters were. DB super is another story though.
that's good to know, if this remaster isn't just a simple upscale, then this could be the release we've been waiting for.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:08 pm

Does Spain have a film print of the original dragon ball?
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Selecta Visión aren't exactly known for the amazing quality of their remasters... Their latest DVD release was a ton of awkward filters thrown on top of the Dragon Box masters. So you probably shouldn't get your hopes up too much.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:45 pm

They claim they've been negotiating for 2 years to get "original materials" from Toei. That must mean something. What, I'm not sure yet. But they've been negotiating for 2 years, I really think that amounts to more than just digital 480p Dragon Box masters, especially since they've already done releases with the Dragon Box footage before.

If they were going to be as lazy and thoughtless as to upscale the Dragon Box, I don't think they'd make this kind of statement anyway.

Let's just be open-minded until the thing comes out, but I'm leaning toward it being something new.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:40 am

It will be funny if they end up upscaling the dragonbox masters with some AIscaling like gigapixel and end up looking better than funi's bluray.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:52 am

It'd also help if SV would actually post a screenshot or two of their remaster so we can see just what kind of video quality we're getting with this release (why they haven't yet is beyond me since that would help build even more hype for this until release).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:48 pm

superrayman3 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:52 am It'd also help if SV would actually post a screenshot or two of their remaster so we can see just what kind of video quality we're getting with this release (why they haven't yet is beyond me since that would help build even more hype for this until release).
To me the fact that we're this close to the release and we haven't seen anything makes me think the transfer sucks and they don't want us to see it.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:52 am

Official listing with a picture! Have to say, the boxart is quite tasteful, I like how it even looks a little like a Tankobon cover!

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -1-blu-ray

The set contains four discs covering the first 28 episodes, or seven per disc. That's one disc less than a Blue Brick, but the same amount of episodes on each. That means it'll take 5 and a half boxsets to cover all of the original anime.

Of note is that while there's no English audio, the aspect ratio is...

4:3!!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:27 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:52 am Official listing with a picture! Have to say, the boxart is quite tasteful, I like how it even looks a little like a Tankobon cover!

The set contains four discs covering the first 28 episodes, or seven per disc. That's one disc less than a Blue Brick, but the same amount of episodes on each. That means it'll take 5 and a half boxsets to cover all of the original anime.

Gotta admit, I'm really liking the packaging. Really wish they'd give us an idea what the transfer looks like though, because unless I missed something there's no actual screencaps on that listing.

As an aside:
Google's Translation of that Page wrote:the Turtle Goblin
:lol:
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:52 am Official listing with a picture! Have to say, the boxart is quite tasteful, I like how it even looks a little like a Tankobon cover!

I don't mean to rain on your parade but you know these are dbox upscales, right?

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:38 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 pm

I don't mean to rain on your parade but you know these are dbox upscales, right?
Where was it confirmed?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 pm I don't mean to rain on your parade but you know these are dbox upscales, right?
That still makes them more accessible. Blu-Ray only has three regions and this still has the Japanese audio track, so if you're in Europe, the UK or the Pacific regions and just want to watch Dragon Ball subbed in the original Japanese without getting a Japanese Blu-Ray player, this is a really good option.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:20 am

[

KBABZ wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 pm
sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 pm I don't mean to rain on your parade but you know these are dbox upscales, right?
That still makes them more accessible. Blu-Ray only has three regions and this still has the Japanese audio track, so if you're in Europe, the UK or the Pacific regions and just want to watch Dragon Ball subbed in the original Japanese without getting a Japanese Blu-Ray player, this is a really good option.
More accessible, yeah, but it's making people think it's a HD product when it's not and that's not really better than Funimation. It's just bad in another way

VDenter wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:38 pm
sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Where was it confirmed?
Through a friend's chat log with them on Facebook so it's unofficial. And you'd think they'd talk big about this if it was a new HD scan.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:23 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:20 am More accessible, yeah, but it's making people think it's a HD product when it's not and that's not really better than Funimation. It's just bad in another way
That's true. I was about to disagree with you until I remembered that it's still seven episode per disc, when a Blu-Ray could hold as many as 15 or 20 in DVD resolutions.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:19 am

Everyone is so hopeful about this release like they were with the black bricks. Bless your heart. Meanwhile, Toei hasn’t done shit. :lol:. Sad!

*grabs popcorn*
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People