Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:45 pmAs I recall, you've claimed to have obtained everything he has, so if it really bothers you, and you weren't just trying to make a show of yourself, you'd do something about it, rather than just take cheap shots at an insightful member of this community. And don't give me some crap about "people won't use my materials so I'm done with it" like you've done whenever anyone else has confronted you on this in previous threads. You took Kei's materials and sold them to people like Enigmo, for your own ends.
First of all, Kei17 and I traded materials, and secondly, I never sold them to Enigmo. I think you should lay off the drugs or check yourself into a mental institution. And don't twist my words around to fit your narrative. You have always been a growing cancer in this community since day #1. Nobody likes you. You act like you know everything about this franchise, kissing ass behind the curtains for things you want, etc., but giving nothing in return. Not even a "thanks". Remember begging me via PM for a bunch of stuff and calling me "bro"? I'm not your bro, mate, or friend. Never was, never will be. It's greedy, sniveling little rats like yourself who end up wrecking communities, always complicating matters that don't need to be. Your story is wrong and the audio is gone. It's time to wipe the brown from under your nose and smell the fresh air.

Toei will not remaster the series properly, FUNimation will not remaster the series properly, and neither will anyone else. You either accept this fact, or move on with your life. You can still be a fan of the show, but don't make me out to be the bad guy. Just because FUNimation and other companies mislead everyone for years doesn't make me a bully for pointing it out. People are always so surprised about getting the shaft on newer releases. It's nothing new, nor should you expect it to be.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:33 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:24 pm You have always been a growing cancer in this community since day #1. Nobody likes you. You act like you know everything about this franchise, kissing ass behind the curtains for things you want, etc., but giving nothing in return.
I'm sorry but you can piss off with this. Me and Robo have been chatting about my T1C project recently in PMs and, when I asked, he very kindly uploaded his Blu-Ray rips of Kai S1D1 so I could make a NEP for the final T1C episode that leads into the real Kai. And while we may disagree on things (I like Nadolny, he loathes her performance) he doesn't hate me for it.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:33 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:24 pm You have always been a growing cancer in this community since day #1. Nobody likes you. You act like you know everything about this franchise, kissing ass behind the curtains for things you want, etc., but giving nothing in return.
I'm sorry but you can piss off with this. Me and Robo have been chatting about my T1C project recently in PMs and, when I asked, he very kindly uploaded his Blu-Ray rips of Kai S1D1 so I could make a NEP for the final T1C episode that leads into the real Kai. And while we may disagree on things (I like Nadolny, he loathes her performance) he doesn't hate me for it.
You haven't got the slightest clue. Bless your heart. You two have fun! :thumbup:
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:46 pm

I wonder how this release compares to that fan upscale that came out 2 years ago.
Some screenshots from said upscale:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:48 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 pm You haven't got the slightest clue. Bless your heart. You two have fun! :thumbup:
I'm just saying my anecdote contradicts your anecdote, specifically the "take, no give" part.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:02 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:33 pm
I appreciate you jumping to my defence, but it's clear I've hit a nerve, and Maakuo's just trying to discredit me with ad hominem nonsense, rather than actually engage in conversation or debate. Best not to dignify him with any further response. Besides, this is quite a tangent from the subject at hand in this thread.
DHM211 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:46 pm I wonder how this release compares to that fan upscale that came out 2 years ago.
Selecta's release is definitely worse; it's got some rather strong DNR and sharpening that gives it a look similar to the Funi Blue Bricks, degrading the visuals rather disgustingly, and destroying detail. Meanwhile, that fan upscale is basically just a fairly simple resize of the DBox footage; not exactly the best upscale I've ever seen, but YMMV on whether it's better than on-the-fly upscaling from your PC, smart TV, or whatever other media device. For some, it may be better. Either way, it's certainly preferable to the crap Selecta is releasing.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:12 am

I can't believe SelectaVision even released screen shots when it's this crap.

overdrive
Not-So-Newbie

Post by overdrive » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:22 pm

To make a serious debate, we must first analyze the situation. Toei Animation, as creator of audiovisual material, and Selecta Vision, as distributor, are companies. If it is obvious, but any person or entity that has created a company needs to obtain benefits, it is another obvious.

After these obvious, doing a reshooting with the subsequent remastering work is really expensive for Toei to seize all his capital to edit a material that was not intended for high definition use.

Now, my thought or illusion is to think that Toei works on the real mastering in HD of the material, but in the background. This would entail an extra cost to their annual budgets and financing ... the way to support those expenses could be to sell material with low production costs and a high sales and acceptance rate. In this way, they could bear the expense and gradually do a high resolution digital conversion. Surely I am naive, but I would like to think that Toei knows that this franchise is and will be profitable, therefore, I do not think that this possibility has not been thought about, and it is not necessary to be a Nobel Prize to value this economic formula to pay for it.

Although it is possible that Toei is not really a company involved with its product and is only interested in selling what it sells. Who knows?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:23 pm

overdrive wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:22 pm To make a serious debate, we must first analyze the situation. Toei Animation, as creator of audiovisual material, and Selecta Vision, as distributor, are companies. If it is obvious, but any person or entity that has created a company needs to obtain benefits, it is another obvious.

After these obvious, doing a reshooting with the subsequent remastering work is really expensive for Toei to seize all its capital to edit a material that was not intended for high definition use.

Now, my thought or illusion is to think that Toei works on the real mastering in HD of the material, but in the background. This would entail an extra cost to their annual budgets and financing ... the way to support those expenses could be to sell material with low production costs and a high sales and acceptance rate. In this way, they could bear the expense and gradually do a high resolution digital conversion. Surely I am naive, but I would like to think that Toei knows that this franchise is and will be profitable, therefore, I do not think that this possibility has not been thought about, and it is not necessary to be a Nobel Prize to value this economic formula to pay for it.

Although it is possible that Toei is not really a company involved with its product and is only interested in selling what it sells. Who knows?
Ok, if I read that right (corrected the "he" after Toei in that second paragraph to "its" since Toei's not a person, btw), you're assuming Toei's using the Nintendo method of creating or releasing new things that make a lot of money to fund other projects like a remastering of Dragon Ball. That's not likely. For one, Toei is a company that wants to make as much money possible for very little work. They're also a company stuck in the past that continually makes stupid mistakes.

1. To bring up a shortlist of stupid decisions that I know of, they didn't keep the original film masters for the Sailor Moon TV show (which is why every remaster outside of the Italian DVDs is really bad or just not that great).

2. They gave One Piece to 4Kids rather than a company that would actually respect the product simply because they wanted to force its international popularity to replicate its sales in Japan rather than let it happen naturally with letting the audience find IT rather than the other way around & have a new Dragon Ball Z on their hands & 4Kids could get the series on American TV stations plus they had previous success with Pokemon & Yugioh, even though they didn't actually WANT One Piece, but got it anyways in a bundle with 2 other shows they ACTUALLY wanted to license & forced them to dub it with a VERY cynical & aggressively half-assed dub that failed big time. A decision that sunk any chance of One Piece had at the time to become popular in the US & is only finding success in the last several years now that FUNimation have been treating it as it should've been from the start & caused the downward spiral that drove 4Kids to bankruptcy (along with other stupid business decisions that I won't talk about right now).

3. They let FUNimation produce TERRIBLE releases of DBZ called the Orange Bricks that cropped the series into fake 16:9 widescreen rather than keep it in the original intended 4:3 that cut off important bits of the images, applied HEAVY DVNR that deleted lines of animation thinking they were damage to the film in an attempt to also remove the grain because old things shot on film shouldn't have ANY grain for some reason, oversaturated & overly bright colors that make your eyes hurt, & other bad things. They've allowed FUNi to do these things 3 times, only the most recent release doesn't have the cropping! Which obviously makes up for the sins of the past! Sigh.

4. They rushed Super into production only 4 weeks before it was supposed to air, largely using rookies in the animation industry to put it together rather than the standard 6 weeks, which then fell apart on them 5 weeks in, which damaged the reputation of the series before it could really get off the ground. They also have NO want to actually make the series, as a whole, good & internally-consistent with either itself or the previous shows or the 2 movies Toriyama wrote himself, or the characters (mainly Goku) would be less flanderized & more like how he is when Toriyama actually writes them for the ones that are, the episodes would be better planned out (the Future Trunks Arc, while a fine idea on paper, botched a lot of its ideas in its execution & felt like the writers had NO idea where the arc was gonna go, plus was filled with a LOT of overly-hyped moments that didn't live up to said hype & had terrible pacing). Plus, Future Trunks had blue hair, which is a discontinuity because he had purple hair originally & his younger alternate timeline self still does, but he's supposed to have the same hair color as Bulma, who has blue hair in every anime adaptation but Path to Power, so they just recolored his hair, continuity & logic be damned. No, I'm not letting that one go.

5. Then there's the Crunchyroll &, now, the official FUNi subs of the newer movies, which are done by 2 different teams of people. But Toei, for some reason, is enforcing a policy that the terminology of the Japanese version be altered to be consistent with the English dubs rather than the previous subs because they think dub-only fans will be too stupid & pig-headed to be able to adapt to different names for characters & attacks for a dub they know were changed in the DBZ dub. This not only includes alternate names (King Kai rather than Kaio-sama), but also spellings (Frieza rather than Freeza). This makes NO sense whatsoever. You might as well have FUNi include an alternate subtitle track that's for the dub script like Disney did for the Studio Ghibli movies when they had the licenses to them.

If Toei really cared about delivering a great product rather than simply making money, they wouldn't do these things. Yeah, they're a company that makes money, but there's a happy medium companies like them NEED to find or else they're not a company worth supporting. A remaster of the shows CAN be done & done well, as FUNi have shown us with the Level sets & if Toei budgeted & scheduled each arc well, they COULD have it done in a few years for a reasonable price overall, but they're not even trying to do it, nor do I think they will in the near future. They've shown no inclination to want to start. They did a remaster of the movies, which brings me to...

6. When they remastered the 4 DB & first 13 Z movies, they introduced censorship into some of them to have some of the characters not flip the bird...even though they're home media releases of old films that people already know have scenes like that. Even more unnecessarily confusingly, they have uncensored versions of these movies that stream on Netflix & Amazon Japan. Why? I have NO idea. It makes no sense. Did they do it for money? Did they do it to appear more PC? Was it because of new regulations in Japan? I don't know. I don't know.

I forgot about that one, but it's another problem Toei has that I find utterly baffling & stupid. So, I don't expect much from them nowadays.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:46 pm

Posted on twitter.
"new capture of dragon ball in bluray, made by an iphone on TV"
https://twitter.com/cmonterodgea/status ... 6037961734

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:33 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:46 pm Posted on twitter.
IMO if that's how it was captured, that renders any analysis on the picture invalid. The Blu-Ray is unimpressive, but it's not THAT bad.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:33 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:46 pm Posted on twitter.
IMO if that's how it was captured, that renders any analysis on the picture invalid. The Blu-Ray is unimpressive, but it's not THAT bad.
I'm pretty sure it over exposed lol bit it kinda looks like it's not as pink, but I was looking at the line art

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 am

sorry for the double post (cant edit my other more) more Tv screen pics. If the colors are accurate, did they color correct?

Ironically, if these are accurate then they look a lot like FUNi's Z remaster

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:44 am

While I'm hesitant to lay judgement based on off-screen shots, taking these literally I have to say they come off as oversaturated, and the watercolouring is WAY overboard (look at the mushroom rocks in the Oozaru arm shot).

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:52 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 am sorry for the double post (cant edit my other more) more Tv screen pics. If the colors are accurate, did they color correct?

Ironically, if these are accurate then they look a lot like FUNi's Z remaster
that's weird, I seem to recall them saying they wouldn't change the colors.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:08 pm

As I said, I'm hesitant to lay absolute judgement on off-screen photos as that can SERIOUSLY mess with the intended colours, especially if you haven't bothered to set up your TV correctly.

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:06 pm

kei17 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:23 pm That's because Mazinger Z was produced in 35mm. Toei Animation switched to 16mm film for TV anime productions in the middle of the '70s, so the most part of Great Mazinger and all of Grendizer were produced in 16mm.
But what about Devilman? That came out before Mazinger Z, and they only did an upscale for that.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:31 pm

Off-screen photos and videos are entirely useless for an endless list of reasons, ranging from incorrect exposure, bad white balance, poor TV calibration, iffy focus, or all of the above.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:13 am

Got these from bluray.com
some screenshots comparisons have been shared on Twitter.
Top:Bluray Bottom: Dbox

Comparison 1

Comparison 2

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:22 am

I mean, it doesn't look TOO too bad. Certainly not FUNimation-level awful. It's certainly in better focus, but it's not really that special compared to the Dragon Box masters.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs