Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3981
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by kei17 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:44 pm

So, according to these sample clips, it seems that they chose to slow down the dub audio originally recorded and edited in 25fps. Though some voices sound too deep with this solution, I think this is better than time-stretching with the pitch kept intact, which sounds very unnatural.
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base
penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:41 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:46 am
It really sucks that they couldn't care less about Dragon Ball while DBZ is put first and foremost above everything else in the franchise as a whole, though i'd really like if we had an equivalent release to the Dragon Box in some form right now i'm not holding out hope that the suits at FUNi will find it in them to finally give the show it's due and actually put in effort anytime soon. The Blue Bricks are at the very least acceptable to me as they are for owning the entire series, though do i wish there was some release available here that was more than just their old early 2000's digibeta tape masters noise reduction or no? Obviously of course but seeing as the show's only been given two DVD releases stateside in the Saga sets and Blue Bricks with each having their own sets of flaws, as the Pilaf arc is not available with the former due to the pre 2009 sublicense legal stuff with Lionsgate plus not so great encoding and compression/artifacting, and noise reduction plus frame zooming on the latter though not nearly as bad as the Orange Bricks with being the correct 4:3 not fake widescreen. Not to mention neither version having the second opening, first, third or fourth closing animations and next episode previews. Given that it doesn't really look like they're going to change their tune and finally rise above shoving the original series off to the side as if it's unimportant or doesn't matter.
I just downloaded DVD rips of all the DBox masters of the episodes with the English dub synced to them. I've supported them by giving them my money for every series & movie but Z since I find every release but Z's to be acceptable & I've learned a long time ago that FUNi's current management & restoration team are lacking in any care or skills required to do an adequate job for what we want. Which IS, sadly, just a release of the show in 4:3 with mild grain reduction, color correction & enhancement, & in a format that'll last & not just be replaced by something slightly better 5-7 years later or is just limited.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:41 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:46 am
It really sucks that they couldn't care less about Dragon Ball while DBZ is put first and foremost above everything else in the franchise as a whole, though i'd really like if we had an equivalent release to the Dragon Box in some form right now i'm not holding out hope that the suits at FUNi will find it in them to finally give the show it's due and actually put in effort anytime soon. The Blue Bricks are at the very least acceptable to me as they are for owning the entire series, though do i wish there was some release available here that was more than just their old early 2000's digibeta tape masters noise reduction or no? Obviously of course but seeing as the show's only been given two DVD releases stateside in the Saga sets and Blue Bricks with each having their own sets of flaws, as the Pilaf arc is not available with the former due to the pre 2009 sublicense legal stuff with Lionsgate plus not so great encoding and compression/artifacting, and noise reduction plus frame zooming on the latter though not nearly as bad as the Orange Bricks with being the correct 4:3 not fake widescreen. Not to mention neither version having the second opening, first, third or fourth closing animations and next episode previews. Given that it doesn't really look like they're going to change their tune and finally rise above shoving the original series off to the side as if it's unimportant or doesn't matter.
I just downloaded DVD rips of all the DBox masters of the episodes with the English dub synced to them. I've supported them by giving them my money for every series & movie but Z since I find every release but Z's to be acceptable & I've learned a long time ago that FUNi's current management & restoration team are lacking in any care or skills required to do an adequate job for what we want. Which IS, sadly, just a release of the show in 4:3 with mild grain reduction, color correction & enhancement, & in a format that'll last & not just be replaced by something slightly better 5-7 years later or is just limited.
Yeah, i've had to resort to going ahead and just buying the Dragon Boxes on eBay or wherever else i can find them for non obscenely expensive prices. It's clear to see that the people there at FUNi just don't give a crap at all about putting out releases of DBZ that do the show(s) justice in all aspects as is, and not a bunch of needless digital noise filtering and other garbage which messes up the video quality. It's really a darn shame that they don't want to put the effort toward just presenting the show in it's proper aspect ratio in a way that is easily purchasable.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:25 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:51 pm
Yeah, i've had to resort to going ahead and just buying the Dragon Boxes on eBay or wherever else i can find them for non obscenely expensive prices. It's clear to see that the people there at FUNi just don't give a crap at all about putting out releases of DBZ that do the show(s) justice in all aspects as is, and not a bunch of needless digital noise filtering and other garbage which messes up the video quality. It's really a darn shame that they don't want to put the effort toward just presenting the show in its proper aspect ratio in a way that is easily purchasable.
That's also why I bought the Kai sets. The first 98 episodes were slightly rushed in their remaster on top of being low budget, but it's a remaster I can still respect, warts & all. It's also got an actually good & respectable English dub with it. Kai: TFC, while keeping in too much filler & having the green tint & cropping is, at the very least, not terrible to look at. Why Toei decided to keep the Hell filler & not save 4:3 masters to be consistent with the first 98 episodes, I'll never know. That's one of the paradoxes with Z for me. I want a good remaster from someone, but the dub is still gonna be shit no matter what. Unless they go bad & completely redub the series, which I doubt they'd do since it would probably cost them too much money unless they crowdfunded it like their Escaflowne redub, I'm not gonna be completely satisfied with it. But, I still want a good remaster, that's for sure.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:25 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:51 pm
Yeah, i've had to resort to going ahead and just buying the Dragon Boxes on eBay or wherever else i can find them for non obscenely expensive prices. It's clear to see that the people there at FUNi just don't give a crap at all about putting out releases of DBZ that do the show(s) justice in all aspects as is, and not a bunch of needless digital noise filtering and other garbage which messes up the video quality. It's really a darn shame that they don't want to put the effort toward just presenting the show in its proper aspect ratio in a way that is easily purchasable.
That's also why I bought the Kai sets. The first 98 episodes were slightly rushed in their remaster on top of being low budget, but it's a remaster I can still respect, warts & all. It's also got an actually good & respectable English dub with it. Kai: TFC, while keeping in too much filler & having the green tint & cropping is, at the very least, not terrible to look at. Why Toei decided to keep the Hell filler & not save 4:3 masters to be consistent with the first 98 episodes, I'll never know. That's one of the paradoxes with Z for me. I want a good remaster from someone, but the dub is still gonna be shit no matter what. Unless they go bad & completely redub the series, which I doubt they'd do since it would probably cost them too much money unless they crowdfunded it like their Escaflowne redub, I'm not gonna be completely satisfied with it. But, I still want a good remaster, that's for sure.
I mean yeah, Z Kai's remastering isn't the greatest but still it's not nearly the level of oversaturated smear fest garbage remasters that FUNi has released the past 12 years (Dragon Boxes and Levels aside) and it's more or less ok plus the biggest draw for me is of course the dub which is all around head and shoulders above the OG Z dub from both a script and acting standpoint. I definitely agree about Final Chapters, they really should have left them in original 4:3 for home video and kept the widescreen version exclusive to the TV broadcast.

As far as DBZ itself goes, the FUNi Dragon Boxes are in effect even with their flaws (due to being 17+ year old transfers of standard def 16/35 mm film prints) my definitive release to own until the improbable day comes that they legit try and actually put out a genuinely good, not DNR'd to oblivion HD release.


User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:35 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:56 am
Cap comparison
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/JMJCMNNU
What?

Aside from Dragon Box, what are those? "Season Bluray"? "Dragon Box Bluray"? These names make no sense to me. :lol:
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3384
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:35 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:56 am
Cap comparison
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/JMJCMNNU
What?

Aside from Dragon Box, what are those? "Season Bluray"? "Dragon Box Bluray"? These names make no sense to me. :lol:
:lol: :lol: the server kept crashing and I had to redo it like 5 times.

1: Blue Bricks
2: Dragon Box
3: Selectivision
4: Selectivision downscaled to match Dbox DVD

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:20 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:49 pm
:lol: :lol: the server kept crashing and I had to redo it like 5 times.

1: Blue Bricks
2: Dragon Box
3: Selectivision
4: Selectivision downscaled to match Dbox DVD
Oh. lol.

And naturally, even downscaled to DBox resolution, SV looks worse than DBox. :lol:
Akira Toriyama wrote:Like many things people endlessly insist that I said, I never said this.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6537
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:04 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:49 pm
Robo4900 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:35 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:56 am
Cap comparison
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/JMJCMNNU
What?

Aside from Dragon Box, what are those? "Season Bluray"? "Dragon Box Bluray"? These names make no sense to me. :lol:
:lol: :lol: the server kept crashing and I had to redo it like 5 times.

1: Blue Bricks
2: Dragon Box
3: Selectivision
4: Selectivision downscaled to match Dbox DVD
SelectaVision is their name, isn't it?

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:30 am

Fan 720p upscale/CC webrip:
Image

Selectavision 1080p upscale bluray rip:
Image

I definitely prefer the fan upscale, it has good grain detail and looks like film, opposed to SV's version which is way too Funi-esque.

Also, considering how expensive these things are, the least SV could have done was paint over the corners.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4284
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:48 am

DHM211 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:30 am
Also, considering how expensive these things are, the least SV could have done was paint over the corners.
I don't think you realize how amazingly complex that task is.

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:02 am

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:48 am
DHM211 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:30 am
Also, considering how expensive these things are, the least SV could have done was paint over the corners.
I don't think you realize how amazingly complex that task is.
I understand its complex to go through each episode frame by frame to look for these things, but considering SV is charging a premium for an upscale of an already existing remaster, its the least they could do to justify the high price point.
And honestly, they should have also color corrected it, then at least this release would have a reason to exist.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4284
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:11 am

DHM211 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:02 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:48 am
DHM211 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:30 am
Also, considering how expensive these things are, the least SV could have done was paint over the corners.
I don't think you realize how amazingly complex that task is.
I understand its complex to go through each episode frame by frame to look for these things, but considering SV is charging a premium for an upscale of an already existing remaster, its the least they could do to justify the high price point.
And honestly, they should have also color corrected it, then at least this release would have a reason to exist.
Personally I would prefer they zoom in a bit, which is hardly much of a compromise considering it's already a DNR'd upscale.

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:32 am

KBABZ wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:11 am
DHM211 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:02 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:48 am

I don't think you realize how amazingly complex that task is.
I understand its complex to go through each episode frame by frame to look for these things, but considering SV is charging a premium for an upscale of an already existing remaster, its the least they could do to justify the high price point.
And honestly, they should have also color corrected it, then at least this release would have a reason to exist.
Personally I would prefer they zoom in a bit, which is hardly much of a compromise considering it's already a DNR'd upscale.
At that point I’d just take the Blue Bricks :lol:

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4284
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:48 am

DHM211 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:32 am
KBABZ wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:11 am
DHM211 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:02 am
I understand its complex to go through each episode frame by frame to look for these things, but considering SV is charging a premium for an upscale of an already existing remaster, its the least they could do to justify the high price point.
And honestly, they should have also color corrected it, then at least this release would have a reason to exist.
Personally I would prefer they zoom in a bit, which is hardly much of a compromise considering it's already a DNR'd upscale.
At that point I’d just take the Blue Bricks :lol:
-glances over to shelf-

...yep.

Post Reply