Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:26 am

overdrive wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:42 pm You hasn't been rude, because I think the same. I have only said that in our country it is the best in the shit that they sell us.

And if it is not AI, we have started a project with AI and this would be a good example:

https://imgsli.com/ODYyOQ
https://imgsli.com/ODU3OA
https://imgsli.com/ODU4Ng
Y'know, I usually hate upscaled and would call them utterly shit, but this one actually impresses me quite a lot. Still far from perfect, but I'm interested to see what that looks like in motion.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

CloudEPDB

Post by CloudEPDB » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:05 pm

i will share with you a little clip from DBGT, please wait a moment ;)

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:27 pm

If Spain can put something like this out, what is stopping Funimation? Is the original DB that much more popular in Spain? Has FUNi ever put out a upscale on Blu before?
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

CloudEPDB

Post by CloudEPDB » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:02 pm

I leave you a sample so that you can see, more or less, as is left our project.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0em23k070f53 ... 1.mkv?dl=0

It is codec av1 but it is not definitive. It has 2 audio tracks, the Spanish and the Japanese.

I hope you like it!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 pm

CloudEPDB wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:02 pm I leave you a sample so that you can see, more or less, as is left our project.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0em23k070f53 ... 1.mkv?dl=0

It is codec av1 but it is not definitive. It has 2 audio tracks, the Spanish and the Japanese.

I hope you like it!
Hm. Looks pretty good on the "GT" title, and certain other segments, but I don't think your upscaling algorithm/AI deals well with actual animated footage. It's not handling the grain properly, and it's generating quite a smeary, Funi-esque image in a lot of places, and distorting the picture a lot around certain edges like the trees about 35 seconds in. Actually kinda looks like it's had some of Funi's smeary, oily DNR applied as well, almost. Sort of got an oily, distorted Waifu2x look to it in places, y'know?

But, major props: This is a way better result than I was expecting, and it's probably the best I've seen out of an AI upscale. Certain shots, like the "GT" title, look really great. Keep working on it. :)

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:03 am

This release seems quite nice! A slightly improved version of the DB Dragon Boxes. I hope the DBZ/GT ones get this treatment someday.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 am

funrush wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:03 am This release seems quite nice! A slightly improved version of the DB Dragon Boxes. I hope the DBZ/GT ones get this treatment someday.
I most certainly don't hope any licence holders do this! I want a true remaster in true HD! But I'm in for fans doing it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:59 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 am
funrush wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:03 am This release seems quite nice! A slightly improved version of the DB Dragon Boxes. I hope the DBZ/GT ones get this treatment someday.
I most certainly don't hope any licence holders do this! I want a true remaster in true HD! But I'm in for fans doing it.
Agreed. If a licensor is going to put out the Dragon Box masters again, a shitty upscale would just ruin it. Better for them to just put them out on DVD as-is!!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:59 pm
Agreed. If a licensor is going to put out the Dragon Box masters again, a shitty upscale would just ruin it. Better for them to just put them out on DVD as-is!!
I still prefer any new releases of any series to be on Blu-Ray, even if it's just in SD like what Selecta Vision does it's great for binging to have more episodes per disc, and saves shelf space as less discs require smaller cases. It's nearly 2020, Blu-Ray should be the standard by now.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:35 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:59 pm

I still prefer any new releases of any series to be on Blu-Ray, even if it's just in SD like what Selecta Vision does it's great for binging to have more episodes per disc, and saves shelf space as less discs require smaller cases. It's nearly 2020, Blu-Ray should be the standard by now.
Sure. But in that case, do it as SDBD*. Standard-def content upscaled for Blu-ray is a bit stupid in my opinion. Much better to have more episodes per disc than to waste space padding it out with a shitty upscale.

But yeah, SDBD of Dragon Ball would be great. Especially given how many episodes of Dragon Ball there are. :lol:

*TL note: SDBD means standard-def Blu-ray disc

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:54 pm

Not bad upscales, but it's still not ideal either.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:50 pm

I'll take this over the blue bricks in a heartbeat. Hopefully FUNi does something similar with DB and GT. Tired of these season set DVDs.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:06 am

Pretty shitty. Much better to watch the Dragon Boxes.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:31 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:06 am

Ah yes the things that most of us don’t have access to in a legal way! Nor do most people have the patience or knowledge to add subs to foreign releases.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:58 pm

Doing an unfair comparison but just for fun
The youtube upscaled thing:
The same shot from DragonBall's opening, on the 1st movie (amazon rip). So probably 16mm print ->35mm negative:
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:28 pm

jaisonas wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:58 pm
Doing an unfair comparison but just for fun
The youtube upscaled thing:
The same shot from DragonBall's opening, on the 1st movie (amazon rip). So probably 16mm print ->35mm negative:
Blue brick:

Hopefully someone who has this new set and upload a non youtube pic

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:58 am

IMO, from what I'm seeing, these look perfectly fine to me. I'd be glad to have a North American/Region A Blu-Ray of these.

Upscaled though it may be, the video still has the OG aspect ratio (most important part), and doesn't have near the over-saturated smudgy look that most of the Z 30th Anniversary Set does.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:30 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:31 pm

Ah yes the things that most of us don’t have access to in a legal way! Nor do most people have the patience or knowledge to add subs to foreign releases.
And your point is?

Anyone here who doesn't live in Spain and speak Spanish fluently will find this is the exact same situation, except that this way, you get a worse picture and support a shitty upscale release.
theoriginalbilis wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:58 am Upscaled though it may be, the video still has the OG aspect ratio (most important part), and doesn't have near the over-saturated smudgy look that most of the Z 30th Anniversary Set does.
But it is still super smudgy due to the shitty upscaling. We'd be better off to just get the Dragon Box masters on a new DVD box set.

Though really, it's moot anyway; Funimation do not give a single shit about OG DB. Never have, never will.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:46 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:30 am
Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:31 pm

And your point is?

Anyone here who doesn't live in Spain and speak Spanish fluently will find this is the exact same situation, except that this way, you get a worse picture and support a shitty upscale release.
theoriginalbilis wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:58 am Upscaled though it may be, the video still has the OG aspect ratio (most important part), and doesn't have near the over-saturated smudgy look that most of the Z 30th Anniversary Set does.
But it is still super smudgy due to the shitty upscaling. We'd be better off to just get the Dragon Box masters on a new DVD box set.

Though really, it's moot anyway; Funimation do not give a single shit about OG DB. Never have, never will.
It really sucks that they couldn't care less about Dragon Ball while DBZ is put first and foremost above everything else in the franchise as a whole, though i'd really like if we had an equivalent release to the Dragon Box in some form right now i'm not holding out hope that the suits at FUNi will find it in them to finally give the show it's due and actually put in effort anytime soon. The Blue Bricks are at the very least acceptable to me as they are for owning the entire series, though do i wish there was some release available here that was more than just their old early 2000's digibeta tape masters noise reduction or no? Obviously of course but seeing as the show's only been given two DVD releases stateside in the Saga sets and Blue Bricks with each having their own sets of flaws, as the Pilaf arc is not available with the former due to the pre 2009 sublicense legal stuff with Lionsgate plus not so great encoding and compression/artifacting, and noise reduction plus frame zooming on the latter though not nearly as bad as the Orange Bricks with being the correct 4:3 not fake widescreen. Not to mention neither version having the second opening, first, third or fourth closing animations and next episode previews. Given that it doesn't really look like they're going to change their tune and finally rise above shoving the original series off to the side as if it's unimportant or doesn't matter.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)