Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote: here is an example of the sets that i own :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRAGON-BALL-Z- ... 2494620860

They left a bad taste in my mouth and i just ignored all of the Spanish home media for Dragonball.
That looks bootleg as heck.

Also, remember that Latin America has a different dub from that of Spain. The Latino dub of Z never had a complete release (though AFAIK all the movies, as well as OG DB and DB GT, have been released in their entirety in Latin America).

This page lists the history of Latin American DB dubbing as well as the various official releases it got. I can't vouch for the quality as I don't speak Spanish, but I suspect it's more trustworthy than the Dragon Ball Wiki xD
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Yeah, that looks definitely like a bootleg and it's not even the Spanish dub but the Mexican-Spanish dub usually referred to as "Latino".

Here's a Dragon Ball Z cover from an official release in Spain:
Includes just about every dub made in Spain. Hopefully when they transition to Blu-ray, they'll also feature these dubs too but lossless.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:02 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Includes just about every dub made in Spain.
Well, except for the Valencian dub... but that one's in legal limbo.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:10 pm

The ebay link is bootleg, they used really compressed Dbox footage and is the dub from mexico

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:10 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Yeah, that looks definitely like a bootleg and it's not even the Spanish dub but the Mexican-Spanish dub usually referred to as "Latino".

Here's a Dragon Ball Z cover from an official release in Spain:
Includes just about every dub made in Spain. Hopefully when they transition to Blu-ray, they'll also feature these dubs too but lossless.
So there's an actual Spain-Spanish dub :wtf: , most of the people i know only watch the Mexican dub ?? , could it be because the Spanish dub is horrible ?

I myself only watch the show in Japanese.
My English is poor .

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:45 am

The biggest thing the pre-Kai dubs of Spain have going for them over the Latino Spanish dub is their handling of insert songs (especially the Catalan dub apparently). Aside from that, the Latino dub is considered far better than the Spain dubs til Kai (Catalan, Galician, Basque) and Battle of Gods (Castellan, Valencian), where things start to even out (there was never a Castellan dub of Kai nor a Valencian one).

What was wrong with the Spain dubs pre-Kai? For one thing you have a vastly inferior script for large chunks of the series thanks to reusing the French script as it's base. The French script that has an aversion to naming characters. The French script that almost never calls Goku "Kakarot" or similar. The French script that renamed Piccolo to Satan Little-Heart and the Saiyans into Space Warriors. In fairness, starting with Kai the French dub was improved massively and much of that crap was abandoned. The Castellan dub followed suit, but to this day the modern Catalan, Galician, Portugal Portuguese, and Hungarian dubs keep many of the old French derived terms.

Even aside from that, the screams of at least some of the pre-Kai Spain dubs were either weaker than the Latino screams or literally copied over from the Japanese.

Here's a chart (notice how, of the five languages of Spain, Castellan got the short edge of the stick by returning to the French scripts after a period of not using them)

For some context on that chart, the Spain dubs started close to the same time as the French dub. There may or may not have been a brief hiatus after DB ep 26 (don't remember the details) but starting with Ep 27 they took directly from the French script. This lasted until Z Ep 105, when the Spain dubs got ahead of France, and had to translate the scripts more directly. I wouldn't be surprised if the switch in scripts increased the script quality. Most of the Spain dubs used more the direct materials for the rest of their runs, but the Castellan dub entered a second hiatus, and when it ended, it took from the French instead of the Japanese.

As for the Latino dub, it's a little complicated. The first Latino dub was based off Harmony Gold's ill-fated English dub (complete with lots of name changes) and was relatively more successful than it, going up to 60 episodes. The second, much more successful dub, redubbed the first 60 episodes and then switched studios (though keeping the same cast more or less) and covered the rest of the series as well as Z and GT. The second dub post studio switch is considered one of the most accurate pre-Kai dubs of the whole franchise, much more than the pre-Kai dubs of Spain. As for the redub of the first 60 episodes, I'm not sure if the scripts from the first dub were reused or not, but, for the most part, the names certainly weren't.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:34 am

It's strange that there wasn't a Castillan dub of Kai because Selecta Vision has released practically everything of Dragon Ball up to date. Galicia, Catalunya and Euskera all got their own Kai dubs but the main part of Spain skipped dubbing Kai altogether.

The ES-ES dub of Z has its flaws but I still prefer it over MX-ES, that may be due to nostalgia but the MX-ES went hardcore with the names and terms and then named Chichi as "Milk". That's no better than the Portuguese dub who renamed Chichi to "Kika". Names are bound to have definitions in other languages so they should have just either stuck with it as is or use the Westernized names for familiarity.

Pikoro, Namekuseijin.. >_<

I forget but didn't the MX-ES dub use "Freezer" and "Krillin"? I think so. It was the Brazilian-Portuguese that were more faithful without going to the extreme.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:It's strange that there wasn't a Castillan dub of Kai because Selecta Vision has released practically everything of Dragon Ball up to date. Galicia, Catalunya and Euskera all got their own Kai dubs but the main part of Spain skipped dubbing Kai altogether.

The ES-ES dub of Z has its flaws but I still prefer it over MX-ES, that may be due to nostalgia but the MX-ES went hardcore with the names and terms and then named Chichi as "Milk". That's no better than the Portuguese dub who renamed Chichi to "Kika". Names are bound to have definitions in other languages so they should have just either stuck with it as is or use the Westernized names for familiarity.

Pikoro, Namekuseijin.. >_<

I forget but didn't the MX-ES dub use "Freezer" and "Krillin"? I think so. It was the Brazilian-Portuguese that were more faithful without going to the extreme.
The script and acting was tons better in the lat.am dub.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:57 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:most of the people i know only watch the Mexican dub ?? , could it be because the Spanish dub is horrible ?

I myself only watch the show in Japanese.
The Latino Spanish dub is generally very well-liked, but the Spain Spanish dub is not particularly looked up to.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:The Latino Spanish dub is generally very well-liked, but the Spain Spanish dub is not particularly looked up to.
It's that way because there's like a "war" of which is the better dub, you can generally find these "discussions" on YouTube comment sections whether it's the Spanish dub or the Mexican-Spanish dub of Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai/Super.

Same happens with the Portuguese and Brazilian-Portuguese dubs. And heck, let's not pretend the same doesn't happen on the English-speaking fanbases too with FUNi Vs. Ocean Vs. BLT Vs. Blue Water Vs. Harmony Gold Vs. Westwood Dub.

:P I exaggerated with the 'versus' on the English dubs but that still happens, I personally don't care.

Edit: Imagine if there was a Polish language #1 and a #2, if the second was better then there'd too be supporters for #1 even though it might not be as good.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:49 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:The Latino Spanish dub is generally very well-liked, but the Spain Spanish dub is not particularly looked up to.
It's that way because there's like a "war" of which is the better dub, you can generally find these "discussions" on YouTube comment sections whether it's the Spanish dub or the Mexican-Spanish dub of Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai/Super.

Same happens with the Portuguese and Brazilian-Portuguese dubs. And heck, let's not pretend the same doesn't happen on the English-speaking fanbases too with FUNi Vs. Ocean Vs. BLT Vs. Blue Water Vs. Harmony Gold Vs. Westwood Dub.
It's not the same. Part of the issue with the Spain Spanish vs Latin American Spanish and Portugal Portuguese vs Brazilian Portuguese dubs is a matter of dialects. Harmony Gold, Funi, and Bang Zoom were all recorded in the United States. Ocean/Westwood/Blue Water was all recorded next door in Canada. The biggest variances in "dialect" for the English speaking dubs include the Big Green dub (recorded somewhere in Europe, most likely France), the Speedy dub (recorded in Malaysia) and the Creative Products and Solar Entertainment dubs (recorded in the Phillipines) (I can't say ANYTHING for certain concerning the dubs which have inadequate presentation like the Animax Asia dub)
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:41 pm

It has to do with dialects but also preference. The dubs that I prefer aren't even from my own country, for example.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:14 pm

There's a bit of an update.

Dragon Ball on DVD is receiving a re-release in more or less 2 ~ 3 boxes, each at €51.99.

Dragon Ball Z also on DVD is being re-released with new covers, the first box covers episodes 001-117 and has a price tag of €61.99.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly is getting a Collector's Edition (Blu-ray + DVD + Booklet + CE Box) for €37.99.

Now, as for news about the remasterization of Dragon Ball on Blu-ray by Selecta Visión, I think everyone already knows that SV reportedly acquired the original Japanese masters but we've yet to see if they do a good job. If not, there's always Dragon Ball: Dragon Box.

I don't get why Western anime distributors feel the need to "enhance" the picture, just give us as it's supposed to be!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:09 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:14 pm There's a bit of an update.

Dragon Ball on DVD is receiving a re-release in more or less 2 ~ 3 boxes, each at €51.99.

Dragon Ball Z also on DVD is being re-released with new covers, the first box covers episodes 001-117 and has a price tag of €61.99.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly is getting a Collector's Edition (Blu-ray + DVD + Booklet + CE Box) for €37.99.

Now, as for news about the remasterization of Dragon Ball on Blu-ray by Selecta Visión, I think everyone already knows that SV reportedly acquired the original Japanese masters but we've yet to see if they do a good job. If not, there's always Dragon Ball: Dragon Box.

I don't get why Western anime distributors feel the need to "enhance" the picture, just give us as it's supposed to be!
Also interesting how the Z box sets use the same art the exclusive funi set uses

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:11 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:14 pmDragon Ball Super: Broly is getting a Collector's Edition (Blu-ray + DVD + Booklet + CE Box) for €37.99.
God I'm jealous of that Broly Collectors Edition, looks really nice, wish we were getting something like that over here in the US. :(
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Hugo2003DBZ

Post by Hugo2003DBZ » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:37 pm

The release date in Amazon Spain is 27 november 2019...

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 am

Sorry if this was already said and I missed it but does anyone know how many episodes will be on each set?
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:04 am

Hugo2003DBZ wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:37 pm The release date in Amazon Spain is 27 november 2019...
Huh. That's awfully close to when Funimation is releasing their "remaster".

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:42 pm

The Funi Z 30th Aniversary Collection? If the Spain collection is only going to be the original Dragon Ball series, I doubt the two remasters are related. Remember that Funi never released a remaster of the original series based directly on film.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:59 am

I don't think they are related other than both Funimation and Selecta Vision getting TOEI's approval for their releases, possibly around the same time. Remember other than the movies and TV specials TOEI hasn't shown any interest in doing HD remasters. With Z they were happy to promote Funimation's 30th anniversary set without touching the footage themselves (maybe unfortunately so), if they are not going to put any effort into the best selling series in the franchise I can't see any scenario where OG DB is any different.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: