Favourite secondary antagonists?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Favourite secondary antagonists?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Who are your favourite secondary antagonists/villains in franchise and why?
By secondary i mean we exclude characters who were main antagonists in arcs of DB/Z/GT/S, movies or games or were heavily responsible for existence of main threats (like Gero) and i obviously don't count any dumb FUNimation "arcs" like "Captain Ginyu saga".
so those characters are 100% not allowed:
I might've missed someone.
I know the choice is pretty limited and most side antagonists weren't great but let's try and find some good as well.
I wasn't sure if i should put Hit and Rildo since despite being main fighting antagonists in arcs they were both only following orders of Champa and Myuu so i didn't put them on this list. Jiren was a bit different case. Also both are cool and overall liked characters so it'd be a waste if we excluded them.

Examples of characters allowed to help you choose:
Mine are:
-Raditz - underrated character considering he is brother of Goku. He had cool design and techniques and fight against him was one of the best fights in DBZ
-Android 18 - franchise lacks female antagonists or characters in general, especially relevant ones, and she was no joke completely trashing super saiyan
-Rildo - he had cool powers and his presence added tension that series didn't have since Namek
-Oceanus Shenron - DB lacked characters like her after first series. Funny and perverted character. Real threat despite being born from wishing a panties by Oolong.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Favourite secondary antagonists?

Post by zarmack » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:24 pm

My top 10 in no order:

Toppo
A17 & A18
Dabura
Paragus
Kefla
Raditz
Zarbon
Mercenary Tao
Hit
Rildo

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:29 pm

zarmack wrote:My top 10 in no order:

Toppo
A17 & A18
Dabura
Paragus
Kefla
Raditz
Zarbon
Mercenary Tao
Hit
Rildo
Nice. I actually included Paragus in list although i wasn't sure if he is secondary or main antagonist. I mean he was the one that lured everyone and wanted meteor to kill them even though Broly turned out to be the main villain of a movie.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Taopaipai for sure, he was the first villain in the series who gave you the feel of 'okay, this is serious, this guy shows no mercy and Goku is actually in danger of getting killed'.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:58 pm

In chronological order of appearance:

Murasaki
General Blue
Tao Pai Pai
Tambourine
Raditz
Nappa
Dodoria
Zarbon
Reacoom
Ginyu
Dabura
Si Xing Long
Hit

I've also got a weird soft spot for just about all of the various random henchmen from the first 5 or so DBZ movies, largely on a purely visual level/cool factor. And on the anime filler end of things, Shura's a pretty nifty Zu Warriors tribute.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 pm

Gonna shout out Paragus again.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:25 pm

TaoPaiPai and Raditz are my favorite of the bunch. They both shook up the foundation of the series in incredibly important and memorable ways.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Paragus. He has this hardened military feel to him that reminds me of governor Tarkin.

obviously talking about the old Paragus, as I know nothing about the new one.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Tao Pai Pai
Tambourine
Raditz
Nappa
Zarbon
Reacoom
Ginyu
Paragus
Dabra
Zombie Hitler
Hit
Kefla
Toppo
Si Xing Long

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:37 pm

1-Hit
    2-Android 17 and 18
      3-Raditz
        4-Dabura
          5-Captain Ginyu.

supersaiyanZero
          Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Nappa. His curb stomping of the Z warriors is unrivaled even by Broly in movie 8.

CashmanX
          Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:54 pm

The Ginyu Force by a fairly wide margin.
          olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
          21:29 who gives a fuck
          21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
          21:29 * mean trump

Kataphrut
          I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:46 pm

I'd count Hit as the "main" antagonist of his arc since Champa's not a direct fighting force. You could *almost* say the same about Tao Pai Pai, but not to the same degree. I'll leave them off for now.

With that in mind, Nappa, General Blue, Tambourine, Zarbon, the Ginyu Force, Babidi, Toppo, Ribrianne and Kefla. Weirdly enough Nappa might be my absolute favourite since he was the one I put first before deciding to do the rest in chronological order.

GreatSaiyaJeff
          Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 pm

The Ginyu Force is probably my top pick. They were so fun.

Not sure if he count's but Toppo is also on my list since he was 2nd only to Jiren in the TOP.
          "I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

ratbomb

Post by ratbomb » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Raditz, he was the villian that caused all the events to happen up to the Namek saga, and all of that to happen from a minor villain is pretty cool.

Kamiccolo9
          Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:50 am

Nappa and Recoome. Both are fun characters, and they make for my two favorite fights in the series.
          Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
          Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
          Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
          Malik_DBNA wrote:
          Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
          "Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

GT_Goten10
          Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:15 am

Eis&Nuova
          General Rildo
          Ledgic
          17&18
          Hit
          Pikkon
          GT Fighter

Grimlock
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 am

The favorites ones:

• Time Breaker Bardock
          • Dark Masked King
          • Putine
          • Xeno Janemba

The ones I like:

• Raditz
          • Android 9
          • Caulifla
          • Kafla
          • Cabba
          • Demon God Shroom

Honorable mention: • Dabura (thanks to Dimps that made him more interesting)
          Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Robo4900
          I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Off the top of my head, Murasaki is always a lot of fun. Man-Wolf from the 22nd Tenkaichi is amazing. Giran or whatever his name is from the 21st is a favourite of mine for nostalgic reasons, ditto for most of the Red Ribbon generals.

... Does mecha-Tao count? Because he was amazing both of the times he showed up.
          The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

RandomGuy96
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Raditz and Nappa. They're threatening, their fights are well-paced, and despite being minor characters they have enough personality to be entertaining and serve as foils to Vegeta. I like the bits of Saiyan honor and camaraderie that slip through their otherwise two-dimensionally evil characters.
          The Monkey King wrote:
          RandomGuy96 wrote:
          dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
          He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
          It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
          Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.