Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:49 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Blue Water referred to hell as "Hades". I honestly really like that as a change.
Pretty loose use of the definition IMO! Hades was the Greek God of the Underworld!
Hades is also frequently used interchangeably with hell. N

More so in kids shows I think
As I understand it, Hades is the name of both the Greek underworld, and its god. Hades has a fairly long history of being used as a replacement term for hell, though.
Mosaic wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:The 1995 dub, as well as the Blue Water dub and the TV edited Funi dub of the relevant episode, censoring Oolong's desire to molest Bulma during a drug-induced sleep he put her in, into being him trying to steal the Dragon Balls from her room while she and Goku are drugged out.
Agreed.
I liked censoring Blue's attraction to Obotchaman to thinking he's his "long lost brother". Only because I hate the implication that gay men are pedophiles.
Whatever way you cut it, giving Blue a scene of paedophilic attraction is pretty bad whatever way you do it, so... Yeah, I don't really mind this one either. And the censored version is pretty entertaining in its own right.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:30 pm

I just really like the name "Major Metallitron." It maintains the sort of "army rank followed by metal-based name" theme of Sgt. Metallic, while being just as silly and way more fun to say.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:29 pm

One change that I don't think anyone ever talks about is the dynamic between Master Shen and Mercenary Tao. The dub states that they had been estranged for several years prior to Tao's presumed death, making Shen's lack of knowledge of the event more believable. The Japanese version merely had him comment that it was odd that his brother hadn't visited in a few years.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:51 pm

-Bruce Faulconer music in Z - yes, i actually like it better than original.
-Giving Gohan, Goten and Bardock different (and great) voice actors
-Giving Cooler different voice than Frieza that fits him more than japanese voice
-Adding a monologue to scene of Goku killing Kid Buu with spirit bomb
-Shadow Dragons having names much easier to remember (also first letters creating word SHENRON was genius)
-All movies pre-BoG having names MUCH easier to remember lol, japanese titles are awful and doesn't say anything about actual movie
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:59 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:.
For Gohan great really depends on which actress we’re talking about. 1 good voice English voice for Gohan out of 4 aint bad I guess

-
remember lol, japanese titles are awful and doesn't say anything about actual movie
For the most part I’d agree but Strongest Guy in the World isn’t all that diffrent from World Strongest and Return my Gohan! is a much better title for the first movie than The Dead Zone which brings to mind the Stephen King novel and movie anyways

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Mosaic wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:The 1995 dub, as well as the Blue Water dub and the TV edited Funi dub of the relevant episode, censoring Oolong's desire to molest Bulma during a drug-induced sleep he put her in, into being him trying to steal the Dragon Balls from her room while she and Goku are drugged out.
Agreed.
I liked censoring Blue's attraction to Obotchaman to thinking he's his "long lost brother". Only because I hate the implication that gay men are pedophiles.
Whatever way you cut it, giving Blue a scene of paedophilic attraction is pretty bad whatever way you do it, so... Yeah, I don't really mind this one either. And the censored version is pretty entertaining in its own right.
It comes off as a big-lipped alligator moment, but I'd much prefer that to paedophilia.
sunsetshimmer wrote:-All movies pre-BoG having names MUCH easier to remember lol, japanese titles are awful and doesn't say anything about actual movie
Well that's what happens when they decide on the subtitle first and then write the story, haha.
Valerius Dover wrote:One change that I don't think anyone ever talks about is the dynamic between Master Shen and Mercenary Tao. The dub states that they had been estranged for several years prior to Tao's presumed death, making Shen's lack of knowledge of the event more believable. The Japanese version merely had him comment that it was odd that his brother hadn't visited in a few years.
Oh really, I never knew that! I think it works to the wuxia-like themes because it means that Shen is doing it not for any real personal reasons but for his family honour, which is a very Asian concept and ties in very well with the Turtle/Crane rivarly being just as petty.
Robo4900 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Pretty loose use of the definition IMO! Hades was the Greek God of the Underworld!
Hades is also frequently used interchangeably with hell.

More so in kids shows I think
As I understand it, Hades is the name of both the Greek underworld, and its god. Hades has a fairly long history of being used as a replacement term for hell, though.
Looking it up on Wikipedia, I can't find any reference to Hades being the actual name for the underworld. Definitely just sounds like a Next Dimension-type censorship thing to me. And yes I know that Vegeta was prince of Planet Vegeta with a father named King Vegeta, but they're using an established name and concept here...

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:45 pm

KBABZ wrote: Looking it up on Wikipedia, I can't find any reference to Hades being the actual name for the underworld. Definitely just sounds like a Next Dimension-type censorship thing to me. And yes I know that Vegeta was prince of Planet Vegeta with a father named King Vegeta, but they're using an established name and concept here...
Again using Hades in place of Hell or a place for the dead is not something The Blue Water dub made up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gotque ... -hell.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheol

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:04 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:-Bruce Faulconer music in Z - yes, i actually like it better than original.
-Giving Cooler different voice than Frieza that fits him more than japanese voice
-Adding a monologue to scene of Goku killing Kid Buu with spirit bomb
-Shadow Dragons having names much easier to remember (also first letters creating word SHENRON was genius)
-All movies pre-BoG having names MUCH easier to remember lol, japanese titles are awful and doesn't say anything about actual movie
The buu monologue is a weird case. It wasn't there originally, but the season sets use an older take of the dub audio without some edits made, so there's a lot of cases of additional dialogue that wasn't on the singles.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:06 pm

KBABZ wrote:It comes off as a big-lipped alligator moment, but I'd much prefer that to paedophilia.
Well... That's why it works. It becomes a legitimately kind of funny scene.

KBABZ wrote:Looking it up on Wikipedia, I can't find any reference to Hades being the actual name for the underworld. Definitely just sounds like a Next Dimension-type censorship thing to me. And yes I know that Vegeta was prince of Planet Vegeta with a father named King Vegeta, but they're using an established name and concept here...
Wikipedia is terrible for researching anything.

However, you may want to read the article again.
Hades, in the ancient Greek religion and myth, is the god of the dead and the king of the underworld, with which his name became synonymous.
In addition, note that the Blue Water dub tended to refer to hell as "The underworld" sometimes in addition to calling it Hades.

It's definitely a case of finding an alternative so they don't say "Hell" on TV, but it's a clever way to do it, because it gives them more options for scripting(Hades - two syllables; the underworld - four syllables), it essentially means the same thing as hell in its usage there, it sounds good, and it doesn't mean they have to do some dumb nonsense like "Home For Infinte Losers", which -- despite my not taking issue with it -- realistically is a pretty dumb way to censor it.
Honestly, if they used "Hades" and "The underworld" in an uncut dub, I'd be totally cool with it. In fact, I would even advocate for doing that if I was involved in decisionmaking for something like that, since it would fit perfectly fine in uncut, and mean the scriptwriters don't have to bend over backwards and use tons of alternate takes for the TV edit.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Even as a kid watching the edited dub for Toonami I was confused as hell why Freeza, King Cold, and Cell would be in a place called Home for Infinite Losers. Hades or underworld is a much better alternative.

Hell considering the afterlife is called Other World underworld is a great name for the place below snakeway tbh

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:However, you may want to read the article again.
Hades, in the ancient Greek religion and myth, is the god of the dead and the king of the underworld, with which his name became synonymous.
In addition, note that the Blue Water dub tended to refer to hell as "The underworld" sometimes in addition to calling it Hades.
I thought synonymous meant "heavily associated", not "literally with interchangeable names"?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 pm

ABED wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Majin Vegeta's speech is changed entirely in the dub but it's way better IMO
Which one
I assume the one he gives to Goku about why he gave into Babidi and how he was surprised that he came to find Earth comfortable. In my opinion, the parts about Freeza into his speech misses the point, but it's not a change that bothers me... that much.
Yeah, I liked the Majin Vegeta speech to Goku. I think it pulls at the heart strings more than the sub version.

Some of them are just so hilariously bad that I enjoy them rather than bother them. Of course, if the dub was the only version we had then it would probably bother me, but the dub kind of is just gravy in addition to the sub rather than a replacement. If you watch the dub, VegetaxBulma would be even more out of nowhere than in the sub. Like, it is so far out of left field that it is comical.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:26 am

PFM18 wrote:
ABED wrote:
The Patrolman wrote: Which one
I assume the one he gives to Goku about why he gave into Babidi and how he was surprised that he came to find Earth comfortable. In my opinion, the parts about Freeza into his speech misses the point, but it's not a change that bothers me... that much.
Yeah, I liked the Majin Vegeta speech to Goku. I think it pulls at the heart strings more than the sub version.
What specifically makes it pull on the heart strings more than the original?

I'll admit that I found this mildly amusing:
Piccolo: Is it over?
Vegeta: Not until the fish jumps [fish jumps out of the water]... it's over.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 pm

I’ve always preferred Goku’s speech about “having lost our old race” and “let’s not lose our new one too” just prior to fusing with Vegeta.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:19 pm

ulisa wrote:I’ve always preferred Goku’s speech about “having lost our old race” and “let’s not lose our new one too” just prior to fusing with Vegeta.
While that sounds great, it falls flat for me because Goku has zero memory or emotional connection with the Saiyan race. He grew up on Earth, so they aren't his new race.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:47 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:However, you may want to read the article again.
I thought synonymous meant "heavily associated", not "literally with interchangeable names"?
Well, in this case, you would be wrong, it seems.

Easy mistake to make, especially given this isn't necessarily a topic that's brought up super-frequently, but that is how it is.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:57 pm

ABED wrote:
ulisa wrote:I’ve always preferred Goku’s speech about “having lost our old race” and “let’s not lose our new one too” just prior to fusing with Vegeta.
While that sounds great, it falls flat for me because Goku has zero memory or emotional connection with the Saiyan race. He grew up on Earth, so they aren't his new race.
I think it works since Goku's trying to appeal to Vegeta specifically here.
Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:However, you may want to read the article again.In addition, note that the Blue Water dub tended to refer to hell as "The underworld" sometimes in addition to calling it Hades.
Well, in this case, you would be wrong, it seems.

Easy mistake to make, especially given this isn't necessarily a topic that's brought up super-frequently, but that is how it is.
Yeah, learn something every day, and all that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:02 pm

I got that, I just feel it's emotionally manipulative, and not earned. It's not the worst example of emotionally manipulative storytelling I've seen and is close to being organic, but doesn't quite get over the finish line.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:10 am

Certain changes to the dub just make for a better line in English, so I'm perfectly comfortable with a dub script that's more loose on the translation so long as the meaning of the lines remains the same. The best example I can think of is when Goku first turns SS3. Compare Funi's "this is to go even further beyond!" to the technically-more-accurate but wordier and stiffer line in Kai. There's quite a few instances of that throughout the original Z dub, though that's the only one coming to me at this late hour.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:40 am

zDBZ wrote:. The best example I can think of is when Goku first turns SS3. Compare Funi's "this is to go even further beyond!" to the technically-more-accurate but wordier and stiffer line in Kai. .
“This next level goes way beyond Super Saiyan 2” really doesn’t seem much wordier and stiffer than “This is to go even further beyond” honestly watching both to compare Kai still comes up on top because Schemmel’s acting got way better. In the Z clip he sounds like he’s taking a massive dump to me