Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Re: Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Post by SSJmole » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:59 am

Lots from me. But a few I'll mention is

Move names - it's easier to say example special beam cannon. Sounds awesome and easy to quote remember

From super : "sure let's go see Yanacha" lol I don't know why but the idea Vegeta is jealous and petty towards yamcha over bulma is just Wonderful.

Also I am nostalgic for "rock the dragon" theme and I'm sad it's never used any more

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:03 pm

I quite like that they changed the name of Videl's superhero identity from "Great Saiyaman #2" to "Saiyagirl".
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 pm

John Pannozzi wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:03 pm I quite like that they changed the name of Videl's superhero identity from "Great Saiyaman #2" to "Saiyagirl".
Yeah, I agree that it's a better name. They did revert to Saiyaman #2 in Wrath of the Dragon, though.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 pm

John Pannozzi wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:03 pm I quite like that they changed the name of Videl's superhero identity from "Great Saiyaman #2" to "Saiyagirl".
Saiyagirl? That’s not very PC. What about Saiyawoman or Saiyaperson.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:50 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 pm
It was Saiyawoman in GT, at least. :wink:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:50 pm
I believe it was also Saiyawoman in the Kai Final Chapters EoZ episodes, too.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:23 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 pm
Valerius Dover wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:50 pm
I believe it was also Saiyawoman in the Kai Final Chapters EoZ episodes, too.
I'm kinda glad they flip-flopped on that.
Saiyawoman/Saiyagirl does just sound better than Saiyaman #2.
Plus, I have a hard time believing Videl would let herself be called anyone's #2.
Gligarman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:47 pm Okay, as someone who absolutely prefers watching the Japanese version not just because that's how I usually watch anime but also because of the excessive amount of unnecessary changes made in the DB dub I will admit that they did make one change that not only didn't bother me but that I wholeheartedly support. I actually appreciate that Mr. Popo does not speak in a broken dialect like he does in that Japanese version. His appearance is troublesome enough (though I don't think that justifies censorship) but I think having him speak broken English in the dub would have just made the situation worse.
I agree.
In fact, I really appreciate that he's often been depicted with quite a sophisticated way of speaking in the dubs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:27 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:23 pm I have a hard time believing Videl would let herself be called anyone's #2.
Well, maybe the stay at home mom Videl from Super... wouldn't know a punch if it hit her in the face...

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:31 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:27 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:23 pm I have a hard time believing Videl would let herself be called anyone's #2.
Well, maybe the stay at home mom Videl from Super... wouldn't know a punch if it hit her in the face...
Yeah, i definitely prefer the Z version of her in the show and movies. In Super she really gets sidelined and doesn't do much of anything really.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:33 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:31 pm
Yeah, i definitely prefer the Z version of her in the show and movies. In Super she really gets sidelined and doesn't do much of anything really.
She kinda gets it in GT as well because the writers clearly didn't know what to do with her (why do her and Chi-Chi both have the exact same skin-taught hair bun style???) but at least she has some semblance of independence in her character design. Her look in Super is more appropriate for her old schoolmate Erasa!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Yes... It's almost as if Super regularly flanderises characters in nonsensical ways so it can nominally squeeze in tons of characters in the form of what is basically cardboard cutouts who look like those characters while not actually putting in the work of using the characters they're supposedly depicting... ;)
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:45 pm
Yes... It's almost as if Super regularly flanderises characters in nonsensical ways so it can nominally squeeze in tons of characters while not actually depicting those characters, instead just giving us cardboard cutouts that look like those characters to get to our nostalgia, without actually putting in the work of using the characters... ;)
My point exactly, they change them so much character wise in a bunch of different directions while giving them next to nothing to do. Case in point with Videl as mentioned by KBABZ above, because in DBZ primarily she actually played a fairly decent albeit supporting role in the Great Saiyaman/Buu arcs and same as with the movies in that span of time where she appears in the series. In Super on the other hand, she barely makes any useful contributions and is pretty much stuck on the sidelines.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:50 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 pm

Yes... It's almost as if Super regularly flanderises characters in nonsensical ways so it can nominally squeeze in tons of characters while not actually depicting those characters, instead just giving us cardboard cutouts that look like those characters to get to our nostalgia, without actually putting in the work of using the characters... ;)
My point exactly, they change them in certain different directions while giving them next to nothing to do. Case in point with Videl as mentioned by KBABZ above, because in DBZ primarily she actually played a fairly decent role in the Saiyaman/Buu arcs and same with the movies in that span of time where she appears in the series.
Exactly. Far better to just not use her at all; if all you're going to do is throw her on screen as "a mother" with all her actual character drained away as the plot demands, then I'd rather they just leave her out all-together...
I can see some room for her to grow as a character by exploring what her life becomes with motherhood, but if the result is a drainage of all character, my disinterest and disdain is difficult to express in words.

If only there was a Dragon Ball series that was brave enough to decide to jettison characters who aren't relevant to its current story so it can focus on just a few at a time and really give them the limelight they deserve...
Oh wait, that's literally all of them except Super.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:50 pm

My point exactly, they change them in certain different directions while giving them next to nothing to do. Case in point with Videl as mentioned by KBABZ above, because in DBZ primarily she actually played a fairly decent role in the Saiyaman/Buu arcs and same with the movies in that span of time where she appears in the series.
Exactly. Far better to just not use her at all; if all you're going to do is throw her on screen as "a mother" with all her actual character drained away as the plot demands, then I'd rather they just leave her out all-together...

If only there was a Dragon Ball series that was brave enough to decide to jettison characters who aren't relevant to its current story so it can focus on just a few at a time and really give them the limelight they deserve... ;)
I mean hell they brought back Emperor Pilaf, Mai and Shu starting with Battle of Gods from the depths of irrelevance who were all pretty much discarded in terms of the overall story after the original series and only barely at best figured into GT minus the first episode, but in Super they are only there primarily for just comic relief and what have you though not really being useful for much else. But then again, they have always been characterized that way from the start as incompetent villain characters so there's no surprise there.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:45 pm Yes... It's almost as if Super regularly flanderises characters in nonsensical ways so it can nominally squeeze in tons of characters while not actually depicting those characters, instead just giving us cardboard cutouts that look like those characters to get to our nostalgia, without actually putting in the work of using the characters... ;)
I can see some room for her to grow as a character by exploring what her life becomes with motherhood, but if the result is a drainage of all character, my disinterest and disdain is difficult to express in words.

If only there was a Dragon Ball series that was brave enough to decide to jettison characters who aren't relevant to its current story so it can focus on just a few at a time and really give them the limelight they deserve...
I think it'd be more acceptable if Super took on a slight anthology series approach and limited its cast to those needed for the immediate story rather than trying to include everyone. The original manga was a bit bad at this by trying to include literally EVERYONE prior that Toriyama could remember, which resulted in huge ensemble casts with suspicious absences, such as Launch slipping to the wayside followed by Yamcha and Tien and Chiaotzu.

This is particularly a problem in the recent movies. It's fine with the Reunion Special feel of Yo! considering it's ultimate inconsequential-ness, but in Battle of Gods it's REEEEEEEALLY obvious that only 10% of the cast is being used, and it comes up again in RoF where characters like Gohan and Krillin get about ten seconds to set up future plotlines that may or may no go anywhere.

Personally, I feel like one of Broly's greatest strengths is how it deliberately limits its cast in smart ways. We don't have the plot clogged up with Tien or Yamcha or Roshi, we have a slim cast which gives more room for characterization with important people like Broly and Cheelai. Trunks and Goten are used for a small cameo to help get the plot going rather than making comments on the sidelines to remind you they exist, and Piccolo appears just when they need him to teach Fusion because he knew it in the Buu saga.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:12 pm

I think it'd be more acceptable if Super took on a slight anthology series approach and limited its cast to those needed for the immediate story rather than trying to include everyone. The original manga was a bit bad at this by trying to include literally EVERYONE prior that Toriyama could remember, which resulted in huge ensemble casts with suspicious absences, such as Launch slipping to the wayside followed by Yamcha and Tien and Chiaotzu.

This is particularly a problem in the recent movies. It's fine with the Reunion Special feel of Yo! considering it's ultimate inconsequential-ness, but in Battle of Gods it's REEEEEEEALLY obvious that only 10% of the cast is being used, and it comes up again in RoF where characters like Gohan and Krillin get about ten seconds to set up future plotlines that may or may no go anywhere.

Personally, I feel like one of Broly's greatest strengths is how it deliberately limits its cast in smart ways. We don't have the plot clogged up with Tien or Yamcha or Roshi, we have a slim cast which gives more room for characterization with important people like Broly and Cheelai. Trunks and Goten are used for a small cameo to help get the plot going rather than making comments on the sidelines to remind you they exist, and Piccolo appears just when they need him to teach Fusion because he knew it in the Buu saga.
Exactly.
Spoilers for the Broly movie:

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:14 pm

I don't mind the speech in the Ocean dub of Tree of Might. I think it actually fits the narrative of the movie well.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:37 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 am In the latest Super episode, they changed the dialogue that sort of implied Roshi was going to rape Caway (or at least that she was afraid that he would). That was probably a good idea.
Got a clip of that dialogue? I forgot that episode.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Piccolo appears just when they need him to teach Fusion because he knew it in the Buu saga.
Goku already knows it. That's fanservice.

Freeza to Frieza doesn't bother me that much. Still don't know why anyone felt the need to change it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:07 pm

matt0044 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:37 am Got a clip of that dialogue? I forgot that episode.
Episode 89, I think?
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 am In the latest Super episode, they changed the dialogue that sort of implied Roshi was going to rape Caway (or at least that she was afraid that he would). That was probably a good idea.
Yeah, that's not a change I mind either.