Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:45 am

I've been eyeball deep in DB fandom for over 25+ years, and I literally have ZERO memory whatsoever of "Over 9000!" being in any which way a thing at any point prior to that dumbfuck Youtube video going viral.

I'm almost tempted to call anyone claiming that line was any kind of "inside joke" among fans (on like a widespread scale: not counting if its between a handful of friends in Wyoming or something) pre-2006 as being completely full of shit.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:50 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:45 am I've been eyeball deep in DB fandom for over 25+ years, and I literally have ZERO memory whatsoever of "Over 9000!" being in any which way a thing at any point prior to that dumbfuck Youtube video going viral.
I've been a fan just as long and while there were no memes back then, the line was very popular. I'd argue that's the reason it caught on years later after youtube was created - it was already popular but not as well seen due to the whole Ocean dub distribution issue.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:53 am

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:50 amI've been a fan just as long and while there were no memes back then, the line was very popular. I'd argue that's the reason it caught on years later after youtube was created - it was already popular but not as well seen due to the whole Ocean dub distribution issue.
If that's indeed the case, that only further strengthens my long-held assertion that North American dub fandom and broader DB fandom are indeed operating within two COMPLETELY different universes regarding two totally different franchises entirely. Because that must be some deep, DEEP cut hardcore dub fandom shit.

I'm someone who can literally off-the-cuff rattle off the names and webmasters of pre-1996 Dragon Ball websites (as well as fansubbers from circa 1992) from raw memory. But Over 9000? Prior to the Youtube era? I've got n-o-t-h-i-n-g.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:59 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:53 am
ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:50 amI've been a fan just as long and while there were no memes back then, the line was very popular. I'd argue that's the reason it caught on years later after youtube was created - it was already popular but not as well seen due to the whole Ocean dub distribution issue.
If that's indeed the case, that only further strengthens my long-held assertion that North American dub fandom and broader DB fandom are indeed operating within two COMPLETELY different universes regarding two totally different franchises entirely. Because that must be some deep, DEEP cut hardcore dub fandom shit.

I'm someone who can literally off-the-cuff rattle off the names and webmasters of pre-1996 Dragon Ball websites from memory. But Over 9000? Prior to the Youtube era? I've got n-o-t-h-i-n-g.
I recall people talking about this on chat boards a lot.

I'm not even sure what your issue is with the line. It's not a dumb line. It's a great over the top delivery that just seemed to take on a life of its own. The only thing that bugs me is that people keep asking Sabat to do it as though he was the one who delivered the line memorably to begin with. There's no way Sabat's delivery would've made the line popular because it wasn't memorable. I still wonder why the dub felt the need to make it 9000 instead of 8000. It feels like a completely arbitrary change.
Last edited by ABED on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:07 am

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:59 amI'm not even sure what your issue is with the line. It's not a dumb line. It's a great over the top delivery that just seemed to take on a life of its own.
I don't have "an issue" with the line itself. I don't give two shits about Power Levels, so I don't even remotely care that they got the number wrong (the numbers are arbitrary and meaningless to begin with). The specific delivery of it in question is just par for the course as far as the Ocean/Saban-era dub goes.

I'm simply left utterly mystified that THAT particular line/moment has been so completely solidified into meme-dom immortality. Its not even the cringiest or most unintentionally hilarious delivery of a dub line from this series. To me, the fact that this was plucked seemingly from thin air by the broader culture to be "THE line" of the series (or at least the dub) has always struck me as 1000% totally arbitrary and random.

It literally could've just as easily been ANY other generic line/delivery from the dub. The whole fucking dub from front to back sounds just as ridiculously over the top and stupid - at a bare minimum - as that one specific line. And certainly with many other numerous moments & lines going well far above and beyond it.

Case in point right here.
ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:59 amI still wonder why the dub felt the need to make it 9000 instead of 8000. It feels like a completely arbitrary change.
Apart from Power Levels in and of themselves operating under roughly the same set of rules as the points system in Whose Line is It Anyway?, completely arbitrary changes for the sake of arbitrary changes have always been kind of the dub's thing in general. Look no further than things like the names of Bardock's team members, or names like Destructo Disc, Flying Nimbus, Special Beam Cannon, Korin vs Karin, and about countless dozens and dozens of others.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 am

It's a well delivered line reading. It sticks out and I could argue that it crystalizes what the general public thinks of DBZ - testosterone driven, over the top, loud, screaming, strong dudes about to throw down. There are plenty of dumb or even dumber dub lines but I don't think any of them sum up people's (mis)conceptions about the franchise quite as well as that one.

I didn't know you would post the video of Piccolo the motivational speaker but that was exactly the example I would use of dumb dub moments, but I don't think it's nearly representative of how western fans view DBZ.
Apart from Power Levels in and of themselves operating under roughly the same set of rules as the points system in Whose Line is It Anyway?, completely arbitrary changes for the sake of arbitrary changes have always been kind of the dub's thing in general. Look no further than things like the names of Bardock's team members, or names like Destructo Disc, Flying Nimbus, Special Beam Cannon, Korin vs Karin, and about countless dozens and dozens of others.
I get all that, and I didn't mean it in that way. It simply comes across like the most arbitrary change. The one's you mention are mostly adaptation issues, which regardless of my view of them, have a logic to them. This is some writers going "8000 seems too low. I got it, 9000. That's way better!"
Last edited by ABED on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:18 am

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 am It's a well delivered line reading. It sticks out and I could argue that it crystalizes what the general public thinks of DBZ - testosterone driven, over the top, loud, screaming, strong dudes about to throw down. There are plenty of dumb or even dumber dub lines but I don't think any of them sum up people's (mis)conceptions about the franchise quite as well as that one.

I didn't know you would post the video of Piccolo the motivational speaker but that was exactly the example I would use of dumb dub moments, but I don't think it's nearly representative of how western fans view DBZ.
FUNimation's Dragon Ball Z summed up just as perfectly within a totally different and just as arbitrarily random set of five seconds.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 am

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:11 am Not semantics, you don't give credit to the guy who makes his friends laugh with the Chris Rock routine.
I understand not wanting to give "credit" to some dude just spamming a line over and over again and uploading a video of it as launching it into a phenomenon but like...that's exactly what happened, dude. That's the internet for you.
No, no it didn't. And the craze starts with Brian Drummond's delivery, end of story. Why does that video get the credit?
(hell you can even see it pick back up again in March 2015 when Ronda Rousey wore the shirt at WrestleMania)
Celebrities wearing shirts is promotion, not the same thing. You are giving credit for uploading a video. That's what bugs me about this whole dumb thing. People keep talking about it as a meme. It's not actually a meme. It's just a memorable line delivery, no different from "It's not a tumah!"
The only reason people care enough about the delivery to continually bug the voice actor who didn't even say the line about it is because of a silly video making it a meme.

You can talk about the delivery all you want but if that video doesn't come out, nobody beyond an evidently small group cares about it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:26 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 am
ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:11 am Not semantics, you don't give credit to the guy who makes his friends laugh with the Chris Rock routine.
I understand not wanting to give "credit" to some dude just spamming a line over and over again and uploading a video of it as launching it into a phenomenon but like...that's exactly what happened, dude. That's the internet for you.
No, no it didn't. And the craze starts with Brian Drummond's delivery, end of story. Why does that video get the credit?
(hell you can even see it pick back up again in March 2015 when Ronda Rousey wore the shirt at WrestleMania)
Celebrities wearing shirts is promotion, not the same thing. You are giving credit for uploading a video. That's what bugs me about this whole dumb thing. People keep talking about it as a meme. It's not actually a meme. It's just a memorable line delivery, no different from "It's not a tumah!"
The only reason people care enough about the delivery to continually bug the voice actor who didn't even say the line about it is because of a silly video making it a meme.

You can talk about the delivery all you want but if that video doesn't come out, nobody beyond an evidently small group cares about it.
If the delivery wasn't what it was, the video wouldn't have caught on. It's not the line, it's the delivery. No delivery, no youtube video. Notice the video didn't use Sabat's delivery.

DB videos getting over 1 million views isn't a rarity. You still give WAY to much credit for the uploading of a video.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:02 am

I don’t understand what’s being argued about here. Obviously Brian Drummond’s delivery was a key part of the line’s popularity, but what’s wrong with acknowledging that a specific YouTube video helped make the line (for better or worse) an Internet phenomenon?

On the subject of why the dub went with “9000” instead of “8000”, wasn’t the official explanation that it better matched the lip flaps?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:24 am

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:26 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:56 am

If the delivery wasn't what it was, the video wouldn't have caught on. It's not the line, it's the delivery. No delivery, no youtube video. Notice the video didn't use Sabat's delivery.

DB videos getting over 1 million views isn't a rarity. You still give WAY to much credit for the uploading of a video.
1 million YouTube views in 2006/07 was definitely a big deal, and AGAIN, the Google trends even shows that nobody gave a shit about it until October 2006. Yes, it's a funny delivery, but that video is what made more than a few dozen people even care about it. I don't even know why it's a debate.

It's not really a matter of credit, just facts. You can't acknowledge the memes popularity without acknowledging that video. Hell, I'm a dub fan whose been on the online fandom since 2001 and I don't recall anybody caring about that line until the video.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:29 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:24 amHell, I'm a dub fan whose been on the online fandom since 2001 and I don't recall anybody caring about that line until the video.
So its not JUST me then right? Good, just wanna make sure I'm not losing my marbles (any more than normal) here. :lol:

Cause yeah: I've NEVER heard about this line being a thing in fandom anywhere until 2006 and that video.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am

I've been thinking about the early Saban dub for a while now (i.e. about 45 minutes) and wondering where the story would have gone if that actually was the definitive version of Dragon Ball Z.
That could become its own thread: let's say the DBZ dubs from 1996-1999 were the actual series. Bardock is now a brilliant scientist, cargo robots are the only ones that fly about, there's a realm called the "Next Dimension" and Home For Infinite Losers, Vegeta cheekily snuck to Earth and killed Grandpa Gohan, the rest of the senshi magically returned to life for 3 episodes just to get their asses beat raw by Tullece, and the monk Krillian seriously thought "Destructo Disk" was a good name for an attack. Season 3 has now begun, we're picking up with Goku "Hope of the Universe" Son's battle with Captain Ginyu with all this knowledge intact and the canon of the series altered to reflect this.

Edit: Who the heck is Krillian?
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:38 pm

The Over 9000 line was a memorable one among fans prior to 2006, and part of that is due to Drummond's delivery as well as the context of the scene itself. However, I doubt it was any kind of big Internet sensation until the YouTube video gave it widespread popularity.
Yuli Ban wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am I've been thinking about the early Saban dub for a while now (i.e. about 45 minutes) and wondering where the story would have gone if that actually was the definitive version of Dragon Ball Z.
That could become its own thread: let's say the DBZ dubs from 1996-1999 were the actual series. Bardock is now a brilliant scientist, cargo robots are the only ones that fly about, there's a realm called the "Next Dimension" and Home For Infinite Losers, Vegeta cheekily snuck to Earth and killed Grandpa Gohan, the rest of the senshi magically returned to life for 3 episodes just to get their asses beat raw by Tullece, and the monk Krillian seriously thought "Destructo Disk" was a good name for an attack. Season 3 has now begun, we're picking up with Goku "Hope of the Universe" Son's battle with Captain Ginyu with all this knowledge intact and the canon of the series altered to reflect this.
It probably would have gone the way of Robotech, or Sailor Moon, or Power Rangers in such a scenario with an even starker contrast between fans, but at least eventually there would be a clear and undeniable recognition that you have two very distinct products out there instead of the kind of confusion that might exist today.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm

The Over 9000 line was a memorable one among fans prior to 2006, and part of that is due to Drummond's delivery as well as the context of the scene itself. However, I doubt it was any kind of big Internet sensation until the YouTube video gave it widespread popularity.
Fair enough, but I don't know why people keep considering it a meme. Does this even constitute a meme if all it's doing is posting footage on a loop? In any event, I think I've said all I can on the subject.

Anyway, regarding the lip flaps being a possible reason for 8000 becoming 9000 is interesting. Maybe. At least it's not arbitrary.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 am

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm Fair enough, but I don't know why people keep considering it a meme. Does this even constitute a meme if all it's doing is posting footage on a loop? In any event, I think I've said all I can on the subject.
I hate to be so blunt, but ABED, you're just absolutely wrong about this situation. I understand where you're coming from, but it's an out-of-touch viewpoint, one that is completely blinded by the reality of the situation, and you're just proving your ignorance and extreme stubbornness over and over again with each response.

I say this lovingly as someone who had the same reaction at the time and it's recorded on a podcast for all of humanity to listen to for the rest of history.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:58 am

Dragon Ball Fan since the mid nineties checking in. I can honestly say I don't recall anyone giving a damn about Over 9000 before the youtube clip went viral.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:28 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm Anyway, regarding the lip flaps being a possible reason for 8000 becoming 9000 is interesting. Maybe. At least it's not arbitrary.
Pretty sure that's just a piece of baseless speculation that's become a well-spread rumour. Brian Drummond suggested it a few times in interviews, I think that's where this idea originated, but he's made it quite clear quite often that he had no idea, and is just speculating (and it's not a bad piece of speculation -- naturally, if a line was changed from sub to dub, it's often just to fit lip flaps); he's just an actor, after all, so he doesn't know.

But the lip flaps thing really don't make sense. The mouth movements in Dragon Ball are always 2 or 3 states of open/closed, no real shaping or any other kind of suggestion of the actual sound being made. Nine and eight would both fit one open of the mouth, which Funimation demonstrated when they did their uncut Kai dub. That's the only difference between 8000 and 9000, so that particular justification of the change is bunk.

Realistically, the reason for the 8000 to 9000 change was likely just that Barry Watson or Terry Klassen thought 9000 sounded more impressive.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:09 pm

If the Over 9000 meme was a thing back then, don't you think the 2005 dub would've tried to imitate it more? I think the read being so different there is proof enough that this wasn't known. Meanwhile, the edited Kai dub and games dating as far back as Budokai Tenkaichi 3 went with readings closer to Drummond's take.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 am
ABED wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 pm Fair enough, but I don't know why people keep considering it a meme. Does this even constitute a meme if all it's doing is posting footage on a loop? In any event, I think I've said all I can on the subject.
I hate to be so blunt, but ABED, you're just absolutely wrong about this situation. I understand where you're coming from, but it's an out-of-touch viewpoint, one that is completely blinded by the reality of the situation, and you're just proving your ignorance and extreme stubbornness over and over again with each response.

I say this lovingly as someone who had the same reaction at the time and it's recorded on a podcast for all of humanity to listen to for the rest of history.
Which part is "out of touch"? I get where people say I'm wrong, that this all started at point X, but does that really constitute out of touch?

My question to everyone disagreeing is if people didn't care about Over 9000 before the video, what about the video that is literally JUST a clip on repeat made people care? Is it that it brought it to people's attention? This shit doesn't happen in a vacuum.
I think the read being so different there is proof enough that this wasn't known.
What proof? Google trends? I'm not saying EVERYONE knew it, but it's wasn't an obscure quote among the fandom, either.