Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:46 pm

I had a thought. I've read about some things that people are bothered by with FUNimation's dub, and while I understand and agree with a fair deal of these things, in other cases I've just shrugged them off and thought, "Eh, not a big deal for me personally."

So, the opposite of changes that bother you...what changes don't bother you? Or, at least, don't really bother you that much?

Since I started the thread, I'll give an example. While I would have no problem whatsoever with FUNimation using Tenshinhan's actual name, to be honest...it's not...that...big of a deal to me personally that they call him Tien instead of Ten. Firstly because that's how I was introduced to the character, and secondly because it doesn't strike me as radically different from his original name. Like I said, calling him Tenshinhan (or even "Ten") would have been good, but I'd be lying if I said it was this "unforgivable, ear-grating annoyance." For me, you can file that change under, "Eh, kinda weird that they changed it, but whatever."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:00 pm

For the most part, everything as far as name changes and such that they made back then that are still persisting to this day, I'm fine with. A big part of that is from having grown up with them, there's no way I can deny that, but as of the Kai era, things have gotten to a point where they're accurate enough and well acted enough that most anything else is forgivable enough in my books.

For anything more specific than that...hmm. Honestly, I don't mind the 'added jokes' that are made occasionally, so long as they don't stick out too badly and as long as they're, you know, actually funny. Stuff like 'pop goes the weasel' and 'whatever turns you on, big boy' from the olden days, ugggghhhh. But things like Super's 'Ahhh I forgot my tractor ahhh' thing with Goku, or for an older example, the 'it's not over till the fish jumps' line? Those are fine with me.

I'm trying to think of something that's a more major change that doesn't bother me, cuz I'm sure there's something, but I'm honestly drawing a blank at the moment.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Censoring out the little boy wang

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:46 pm

The Grandpa Gohan monologue in DB episode 1's 1995 dub.

The wording the red Shen Long uses in Blue Water GT episode 1; Steve Simmons' subs render the line as "I have granted your wish. And now, farewell." Blue Water rendered it as "Your wish is granted; the man is a boy again." And of course, that ends up tying into their lyrics for the opening of GT, particularly the "Making the boy a man again" line.
On one hand, it's not something that was in the Japanese. On the other, it's a harmless thing that sounds rather grandiose, which fits quite well with the scene... So... Honestly, I really like this rendering of the line.

"Over 9000"
I realise it's supposed to be 8000, but power levels are meaningless nonsense anyway, so... I have a hard time caring anyway. :lol:

The 1995 dub, as well as the Blue Water dub and the TV edited Funi dub of the relevant episode, censoring Oolong's desire to molest Bulma during a drug-induced sleep he put her in, into being him trying to steal the Dragon Balls from her room while she and Goku are drugged out.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:58 pm

Robo4900 wrote:The Grandpa Gohan monologue in DB episode 1's 1995 dub.
I liked that bit quite a lot too

The 1995 dub, as well as the Blue Water dub and the TV edited Funi dub of the relevant episode, censoring Oolong's desire to molest Bulma during a drug-induced sleep he put her in, into being him trying to steal the Dragon Balls from her room while she and Goku are drugged out.
It was in the uncut episode of the Funi dub too :P

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:46 pm

From Hitler in Movie 12:

"Blonde hair, blue eyes, super strength? I shouldn't be fighting them, I should be recruiting them!"

Genuinely clever, funny, and totally works, despite not at all being in the Japanese version, which might be the one and ONLY single time FUNi actually legitimately pulled that off (as their sense of "punch up" humor throughout the whole entire rest of the series is otherwise just wince-inducingly cringe and fuck-awful). The line works so well, its honestly kind of amazing that the Japanese script DIDN'T pick up on something that blindingly obvious in hindsight.
Robo4900 wrote:"Over 9000"
I realise it's supposed to be 8000, but power levels are meaningless nonsense anyway, so... I have a hard time caring anyway. :lol:
While power levels being completely meaningless and arbitrary is totally spot on, my issue is simply that the Over 9000 meme, in and of itself, was never actually funny at any point, in any way, and for any reason in the first place.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:It was in the uncut episode of the Funi dub too :P
Bloody hell.
Kunzait_83 wrote:From Hitler in Movie 12:

"Blonde hair, blue eyes, super strength? I shouldn't be fighting them, I should be recruiting them!"

Genuinely clever, funny, and totally works, despite not at all being in the Japanese version, which might be the one and ONLY single time FUNi actually pulled legitimately that off (as their sense of "punch up" humor throughout the whole entire rest of the series is otherwise just wince-inducingly cringe and fuck-awful). The line works so well, its honestly kind of amazing that the Japanese script DIDN'T pick up on something that blindingly obvious in hindsight.
Agreed.
Kunzait_83 wrote:While power levels being completely meaningless and arbitrary is totally spot on, my issue is simply that the Over 9000 meme, in and of itself, was never actually funny at any point, in any way, and for any reason in the first place.
Hah.
Well, I quite enjoy how odd a read it is, and I do enjoy me some Brian Drummond, so... I roll with it. :D

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Switching out Pan's "Girls are stronger when they cry" thing from that early GT episode.

And while I disagree with the decision to remove the insert songs (them being in Japanese is part of the flavour IMO), the narrator's speech after Goku gets the Nimbus back sums up everything about why the RRA arc is my all-time favourite.

Ooh, and the censor of Oolong's original wish from "a cute girl's panties" to "the world's most comfortable pair of ultra-soft underwear!". Not only is it hilarious to me, but it also means that Shenron's idea of comfy underwear IS PANTIES.

Oh and another one, when Bulma flips Pilaf the bird, she says "My magic finger says it's somewhere in the ceiling!"

(speaking of which, I can confirm that the Blue Bricks used Oolong's censored "get the Dragon Balls" motivation to head upstairs)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:12 pm

Some other changes that didn't bother me that much

*The BLT dub of Dragon Ball completely removing Bulma trying to seduce Goku for his Dragon Ball and instead just talking about the adventures he'll go in and the dub inserting some footage from Curse of the Blood Rubies. Didn't Bulma already come to the conclusion that Goku was too innocent for that stuff? There's no reason for her to think that would have worked anyways. Admittedly "I don't want to touch your dirty butt/Why would I want to see your dirty ol fanny?" is a pretty funny line

In Japanese episode 2 Goku keeps talking about Bulma's boobs being a butt on her chest english dub (both versions I think?) changed this him just harping on her not having a tail.

Even though it's more of the falsely claimed uncut dub having censorship I did like Oolong!Bulma's exchange with Roshi in the Kamehame wave episode. "You are so incredibly sexy! Even now my heart's beating like a drum boom boom"

The infamous next dimension stuff never bothered me. They should have just used Otherworld but its still obvious a place where the dead go to. Better than civilians surviving a giant explosion and hurt Nameks

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Blue Water referred to hell as "Hades". I honestly really like that as a change.

... Plus, it's much more sensible than Home For Infinite Losers. :lol:
(Though really, "HFIL" never really bothered me much)

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:14 am

Majin Vegeta's speech is changed entirely in the dub but it's way better IMO

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:11 am

PFM18 wrote:Majin Vegeta's speech is changed entirely in the dub but it's way better IMO
Which one
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:35 am

Robo4900 wrote:Blue Water referred to hell as "Hades". I honestly really like that as a change.
Pretty loose use of the definition IMO! Hades was the Greek God of the Underworld!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:32 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: While power levels being completely meaningless and arbitrary is totally spot on, my issue is simply that the Over 9000 meme, in and of itself, was never actually funny at any point, in any way, and for any reason in the first place.
Wow! this entire time I thought I was the only anomaly that never found that funny in any capacity and was genuinely confused as to why that became popular at all in the first place. Guess we're a rare breed haha, at least when it comes to western fans anyway.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:40 am

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Blue Water referred to hell as "Hades". I honestly really like that as a change.
Pretty loose use of the definition IMO! Hades was the Greek God of the Underworld!

Hades is also frequently used interchangeably with hell. N

More so in kids shows I think

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 am

Robo4900 wrote:The 1995 dub, as well as the Blue Water dub and the TV edited Funi dub of the relevant episode, censoring Oolong's desire to molest Bulma during a drug-induced sleep he put her in, into being him trying to steal the Dragon Balls from her room while she and Goku are drugged out.
Agreed.

I liked censoring Blue's attraction to Obotchaman to thinking he's his "long lost brother". Only because I hate the implication that gay men are pedophiles.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29 am

"Frieza" really doesn't bother me all that much. It's not how I spell it, but it's one letter difference, doesn't obscure the pun to any significant degree, and the pronunciation is still fairly obvious.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:33 am

There's a change that doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I think it's a fix. In Movie 8, Kuririn shouts to Muten Roshi something like he's the best singer in all Japan. The dub omits that line.

The Over 9000 line isn't about the line itself, it's the delivery, which is why I find it odd that so many make it seem like it's Sabat's thing, but clearly it's Drummond's over the top delivery that made it memorable.
The Patrolman wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Majin Vegeta's speech is changed entirely in the dub but it's way better IMO
Which one
I assume the one he gives to Goku about why he gave into Babidi and how he was surprised that he came to find Earth comfortable. In my opinion, the parts about Freeza into his speech misses the point, but it's not a change that bothers me... that much.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:28 am

Mosaic wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:The 1995 dub, as well as the Blue Water dub and the TV edited Funi dub of the relevant episode, censoring Oolong's desire to molest Bulma during a drug-induced sleep he put her in, into being him trying to steal the Dragon Balls from her room while she and Goku are drugged out.
Agreed.

I liked censoring Blue's attraction to Obotchaman to thinking he's his "long lost brother". Only because I hate the implication that gay men are pedophiles.
That’s one of the changed I’m glad exist even in the uncut dub. It’s actually a lot funnier just for how random is “Your brother isn’t coming back!” is one of the few times a dub line actually made me laugh and not just smile

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:36 am

ABED wrote:.

The Over 9000 line isn't about the line itself, it's the delivery, which is why I find it odd that so many make it seem like it's Sabat's thing, but clearly it's Drummond's over the top delivery that made it memorable

A not insignificant portion of casuals fans think the Funimation in-house cast is the only English dub that ever exist so they see a video of Vegeta shouting It’s over 9000!!!! and assume its Sabat I think despite it sounding nothing like what people associate as Sabat!Vegeta