Characters Where You're OK With Both Dub Casts?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Characters Where You're OK With Both Dub Casts?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:04 am

Just a thought that crossed my mind. As we all know, the Dragon Ball animes have...well, more than a few (to put it lightly) English dubs. That said, it seems that the two "mainstream" casts (which is to say, the two casts that mostly commonly receive recognition for having played roles in the animes) are the Ocean Productions cast and the FUNimation in-house cast. It's only natural for people to have preferences over which of the actors to play the various characters is their favorite...

...But just out of curiosity, are there any characters where you're honestly fine with either cast, even if you happen to prefer one just a little bit more?

For example, let's take Vegeta. At this point, I honestly think both Brian Drummond and Chris Sabat have done the character justice, and even though the voices they use are quite different, I'm honestly completely OK hearing either of them in the role. Simmilar deal with Terry Klassen and Sonny Strait as Kuririn--I think they both did a fine job, and I'd be OK with either of them.

So, for all the "which do you prefer" threads out there, I just thought it might be interesting to ask about common ground: even if you give one actor a slight edge, are there characters where you're honestly content with both of the actors from the two different casts?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Re: Characters Where You're OK With Both Dub Casts?

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:34 am

Keep in mind that anyone I mention on the FUNi side will be about the respective performances from Kai-onward.

Piccolo: Although I prefer Sabat, McNeil was an excellent choice as well.
The Ginyu Force (sans Recoome): I felt the Ocean cast all had solid choices for all five members. On the FUNi side of things, though, I can only say the same thing about four of the members.
Shenlong: Both Sabat and Brown are great picks for the almighty wish-making dragon.
Nappa: Parsons and Dobson are both on-point with this character.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:48 am

Ward Perry and R. Bruce Elliot as Dr. Wheelo
Mike McFarland and Brian Drummond as Yajirobe
Kyle Hebert and Brad Swaile as Adult Gohan
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:02 am

Piccolo: While I prefer Scott Mcneil’s take. Sabat by Kai could hold his own

Adult Goku: I think Schemmel is grossly overrated but by the remastered era he was pretty good and definitely by Kai. Of course I always like Ian and Peter

The Eternal Dragon: Don Brown’s Shenron is so freakin cool pity he only gets the one episode plus the 3 movies. Chris Sabat’s is sufficient though

Android 17 and 18: I forget the names of the Ocean actors and I’m too lazy to look them up but they sound very close to Chuck Huber and Meridith Mccoy who I like. More so Meridith and her Ocean counterpart

Vegeta: Again it took until the remastered era for Sabat’s Vegeta to sound good

Older Gohan: (I refuse to call him adult Gohan when he’s suppose to be a high school student in the Buu saga) Kyle Hebert and Brad Swaile are both equally good to me. Dameon Clarke in History of Trunks is my actual favorite though

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:53 am

I'd say most of the Funimation cast were perfectly fine in their roles in Kai. Although I still think the Ocean cast are overall more talented, the Funimation cast, especially Sabat in his roles have given us rock solid second best performances.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:41 am

Goku: Sean is an awesome all rounder and my favourite Goku. Ian Corlett is a close 2nd for having an awesome sounding voice with incredibly natural delivery. Peter Kelamis was great at times but fell flat at others. Kirby Morrow was serviceable if somewhat underrated.

Vegeta: Sabat is great at portraying Vegeta's pride and nails the big speeches. His voice works for Vegeta for the entire series. Brian Drummond absolutely nails evil Vegeta to the point were his later good Vegeta feels slightly underwhelming in comparison, but still pretty good nonetheless.

Piccolo: Both Sabat and McNeil do a great job in my book, at least prior to the Westwood dub. Sabat sounds wise, calm and collected, and McNeil sounds really badass and demonic.

Kid Gohan: Saffron Henderson was great in the role and sounded like a real kid. Nadolny didn't quite fit Raditz-era Gohan, but was fine once he buffed up from training with Piccolo and was especially fitting at the Cell Games. Clinckenbeard is good too, although does make Gohan sound unhappy a bit too often for my liking.

Teen/Adult Gohan: Kyle Hebert is great in the role, nailing both Gohan's confident and awkward side. Brad Swaile was decent enough, although his delivery was a bit rushed due to the Westwood dub being the way it was.

Yamcha: Ted Cole and Chris Sabat both do a fine job.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:55 am

Krillin is probably the only character where I really enjoy both voices. I couldn’t pick between Terry Klassen and Sonny Strait.

There are a few other characters that I guess i’m sort of indifferent towards, in this situation. Like Raditz for example. Maybe it’s because his role is so light in the grand scheme of things, but I can’t complain about Justin Cook or Jason Gray Stanford.

Frieza is a more complicated case. Had Linda Young never gone and re-dubbed her Frieza lines, I would have said that her and Pauline Newstone were dead even. But Linda’s Frieza in the 2007 re-dub was a fail in my opinion. But if we’re talking about 1999 Linda Young, then I like her just as much as Pauline.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:18 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:. But Linda’s Frieza in the 2007 re-dub was a fail in my opinion. But if we’re talking about 1999 Linda Young, then I like her just as much as Pauline.
I’ve been trying to find some original broadcast audio clips with Freeza for reference but honestly 2007 Linda Young!Freeza doesn’t sound any different than how I remember Freeza sounding on Toonami back in 1999

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 pm

I enjoy both Scott McNeil and Sabat as Piccolo for different reasons - McNeil sounds more sinister and tough, Sabat is wise and composed. And I've also come around to Saffron Henderson and Coleen Clinkenbeard as Gohan recently.

Ian Corlett would be right there with Sean Schemmel if not for the wimpy screams.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Saffron Henderson and Coleen Clinkenbeard as Gohan recently.
Both do a much better job than Stephanie Nadolny at least

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: I’ve been trying to find some original broadcast audio clips with Freeza for reference but honestly 2007 Linda Young!Freeza doesn’t sound any different than how I remember Freeza sounding on Toonami back in 1999

It might not even be that the voice is that different, but it sounds like in the 1999 dub, that it may have been slightly pitched down or something. It’s a little meaner and has more of a “villainous” timbre to it, if you ask me.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:28 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote: I’ve been trying to find some original broadcast audio clips with Freeza for reference but honestly 2007 Linda Young!Freeza doesn’t sound any different than how I remember Freeza sounding on Toonami back in 1999

It might not even be that the voice is that different, but it sounds like in the 1999 dub, that it may have been slightly pitched down or something. It’s a little meaner and has more of a “villainous” timbre to it, if you ask me.
It is possible. I was actually surprised when I heard Young rerecorded her lines but I would to have to find clipa from her 1999 performance to really tell. Sabat noticably toned down the Drummond and Mcneil. Nadolny somewhat noticably toned down the Patty and Selma and Sonny Strait kind of toned down the Jimbo.

Linda ehhh? If I wasn’t told she rerecorded her lines I wouldn’t have guessed

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:49 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
PacificOceanDub wrote:

It is possible. I was actually surprised when I heard Young rerecorded her lines but I would to have to find clipa from her 1999 performance to really tell. Sabat noticably toned down the Drummond and Mcneil. Nadolny somewhat noticably toned down the Patty and Selma and Sonny Strait kind of toned down the Jimbo.

Her voice sounded a lot quieter in the old dub. They also changed some of Freeza’s more goofy lines of dialogue for the remastered dub (though they still kept that “backscratcher” line for some reason).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CwwTD4ql9ak

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:56 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
PacificOceanDub wrote:

Her voice sounded a lot quieter in the old dub. They also changed some of Freeza’s more goofy lines of dialogue for the remastered dub (though they still kept that “backscratcher” line for some reason).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CwwTD4ql9ak
Thanks.

To be honest it just sounds like Linda Young went from doing a bad Pauline Newstone impression to doing a bad Rita Repulsa impression