Funimation and swearing

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Funimation and swearing

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:16 am

Lucky_Deity wrote:Are words like damn, hell and ass really swear words to some people, blows my mind XD
I got scolded ages ago in school when I was 5 or 6 for saying damn such a bad scold like I said the f word something...

Shadow the Hedgehog the game PEGI gave a warning of bad language but all it was was when Shadow dies he says damn.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:19 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lucky_Deity wrote:Are words like damn, hell and ass really swear words to some people, blows my mind XD
I got scolded ages ago in school when I was 5 or 6 for saying damn such a bad scold like I said the f word something...
The way it typically works in society is that you age your way up into higher tiers of swears, probably out of fear that their kids will use swears like valley girls say "like, um," or like rappers... rapping.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:00 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Shadow the Hedgehog the game PEGI gave a warning of bad language but all it was was when Shadow dies he says damn.
I think you're forgetting a more memetic instance of Shadow saying damn in that game.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Lucky_Deity

Post by Lucky_Deity » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:51 pm

KBABZ wrote:
There's are different levels of swears and cuss words. When I was really little, calling someone an idiot constituted as a swear, but in retrospect it was more that my parents didn't want me talking to people like that, so it was low on the tier. From there you get to hell and damn, and then words like ass(hole) are a tier above that, alongside words like bastard and, in certain regions, fanny. And then you get to the genuine swears like shit, fuck, that sort of thing (in my household, motherfucker is considered super-offensive, and in the UK/Britain, the word crap is on this tier). And then you go one step above that into words that are actually really offensive like faggot, retard and nigger, that you can't really use anymore today if you want people to take you seriously.

Remember that when it comes to damn and hell, they can be considered offensive because they touch on subjects that most Americans take more seriously than others due to the fact that most Americans are also Christian. So for them, hell is a legit horrible place that they believe in and being "damned" means being stuck in that place for all eternity, so it means a lot more to them than it would to an atheist like myself.

---

Personally, I think the use of swearing in the modern Funi dub is well-handled, with the possible exception of Goku calling Frieza a bastard after Krillin is killed (it's appropriate, but how does Goku even know of that word?). They aren't used excessively and, when they are used, there's usually a good justification behind it, usually the situation being tense/desperate enough or that the character saying it is a villain.
To be fair I live in the UK and crap is no where near the level of motherfucker, over here at least. The worst are piss, fuck, bastard and cunt, to name a few, guess wanker as well but that's more funny.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 am

What I find funny is that even as the anime's dub allowed more and more swearing, the dubs for the games have only recently (to my knowledge) started allowing some more "adult" language in.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them