Super Boo: The worst form of a main villain ever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Boo: The worst form of a main villain ever?

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:43 pm

ABED wrote:
Majin Buu wrote:
ABED wrote:The details are important. Freeza likes being the emperor. Cell doesn't give a shit about those sorts of things, he likes getting stronger and being stronger than others. He likes to fight as long as he ultimately wins. Freeza could do without ever throwing a punch.
Yes, the two are not 100% the same, I haven't been saying that they are.
I'm saying he doesn't overlap with Freeza much beyond being a villain. Their goals aren't the same.
Agree to disagree then.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:06 am

Fine but you are factually wrong. They don't have the same specific goals. Of course they seem the same if you generalize them.

One wants to be an emperor, one wants to be the strongest.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:19 am

ABED wrote:Fine but you are factually wrong. They don't have the same specific goals. Of course they seem the same if you generalize them.

Again, you're refuting an argument I never made. I never said they were exactly the same. You keep zeroing in on their motivations being different as if I said they were exactly the same.

I've only ever said that Cell is more or less Freeza without Freeza's interesting character traits, that they're more similar than they are different. Nowhere in that statement am I saying that they are exactly the same. You would be correct if I had made that claim, but I never did.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Majin Buu wrote:
ABED wrote:Fine but you are factually wrong. They don't have the same specific goals. Of course they seem the same if you generalize them.

Again, you're refuting an argument I never made. I never said they were exactly the same. You keep zeroing in on their motivations being different as if I said they were exactly the same.

I've only ever said that Cell is more or less Freeza without Freeza's interesting character traits, that they're more similar than they are different. Nowhere in that statement am I saying that they are exactly the same. You would be correct if I had made that claim, but I never did.
I didn't say you said they were exactly the same. Good lord. My issue is you drew a parallel by making such a general statement which could apply to nearly every villain in Dragon Ball.

Their motivations and goals do matter since otherwise the villains are all pretty much the same if you generalize enough, which you did. Sure they want ultimate power, but that's so vague that it's meaningless.

They aren't the same, more or less, or however you want to state it. Freeza has lackies and wants to rule. Cell wants to fight. How the hell are they more or less the same?

To bring this around to Buu, at least his first and last forms aren't power lusters. Buu wants food and to amuse himself. The final form doesn't have a goal. He's driven by an impulse for destruction. It's different.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:31 pm

ABED wrote:I didn't say you said they were exactly the same. Good lord. My issue is you drew a parallel by making such a general statement which could apply to nearly every villain in Dragon Ball.

Their motivations and goals do matter since otherwise the villains are all pretty much the same if you generalize enough, which you did. Sure they want ultimate power, but that's so vague that it's meaningless
I said that because the way you're wording your replies to me comes across as you thinking that I'm making that argument. You did it again just now by insinuating that I don't think their motivations are important when I've never said anything to that effect (my use of "more or less" as a qualifier is meant to be my acknowledgement that there are differences in their personalities and that they're not exactly the same). I just think that overall they're more similar than they are different (specifically Cell being more similar to Freeza than different from Freeza). You don't agree with that opinion, and that's fine, but I think you're interpreting what I said too literally.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Dude, I get what you're saying, regardless of not being able to seem to find the right words that you will understand precisely what I mean, but they don't have a lot in common beyond genetics and a desire for power. I know you understand they have important differences, but you've generalized the characters to the point where most of the villains fit the profile. How are Cell and Freeza SPECIFICALLY similar?

For instance, this:
when you break it down, they both want the same thing: To be the biggest, baddest, most powerful person around with nothing or no one to stop them.
That's INCREDIBLY general. What villain doesn't want to be unstoppable?

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:45 pm

ABED wrote:but you've generalized the characters to the point where most of the villains fit the profile.
Majin Buu wrote:In that case they're both faux affably evil, another similarity.

In addition to them both being dignified types that are very arrogant and boastful about their power and resort to sore loser tactics when they're outmatched.
Looking back, perhaps I'm being too narrow in comparing him to just Freeza, he doesn't have much that differentiates him from previous Dragon Ball villains in general, since again, he doesn't have much in the way of unique character traits. And yeah, given his origin you can say that's not a problem, but to me, it makes him kind of bland as a character.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:39 pm

I'm biased because I love Bootenks's design (I don't like how he gets a thin chin when he absorbs Gohan, but that's fine)

So I'm inclined to say Semi-Perfect Cell because not only his design suck, but he becomes a total jobber and only survived because of plot-induced stupidity. Like, how stupid could Vegeta get at that time?

Third form Freeza sucks too, he's totally misplaced design-wise and he just knocks Piccolo off and starts transforming again. I don't even know why he exists, Toriyama could totally do the same with fourth form.

EDIT: Oozaru Vegeta looks absolutely stupid too, tbh
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:09 pm

at the beginning it has a quite original appearance (fat buu)
but with of time and it is absorbing it becomes more generic although I still like its forms