Can I buy Yo! Son Goku and his Friend return DVD?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dagon
Banned

Can I buy Yo! Son Goku and his Friend return DVD?

Post by Dagon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:57 am

I'm trying to legally obtain a copy of Yo! Son Goku and his Friends Return. I've seen some sketchy looking DVDs from Malaysia, and I don't yet trust them.
There's a Malaysian DVD on ebay for about $12. It comes with English subtitles but I don't know who did the translations or if they are reliable. I don't even know if it's a legit copy or a pirated version in a bootleg box. Here is a picture of it:

So is this legit or is there another way to legally obtain it?

Has it been translated from a reliable translator? I'm looking to use it in discussion and power scaling.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Can I buy Yo! Son Goku and his Friend return DVD?

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:16 am

Dagon wrote:So is this legit or is there another way to legally obtain it?
You can get it on the Limited Special Edition of Battle of Gods. But it's much more expensive.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 am

As far as I am aware, there is no English subtitled release of this. If you buy a subtitled version, it is a bootleg, and you would do better to download it than to buy such a bootleg.

The only way you can buy it legitimately is a raw Japanese DVD, though I'm not sure you can buy this first-hand, and it can go for high prices.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:14 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:You can get it on the Limited Special Edition of Battle of Gods. But it's much more expensive.
Not necessarily. There's always a chance someone's selling BoG's LE bonus DVD on its own on eBay, just a matter of him looking it up.

I own the BoG version of this special and the picture quality is kinda fuzzy, whereas the original DVD release appears to be somewhat better.
Robo4900 wrote:As far as I am aware, there is no English subtitled release of this. If you buy a subtitled version, it is a bootleg, and you would do better to download it than to buy such a bootleg.
Yes, legally there is no English subbed release.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:37 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Not necessarily. There's always a chance someone's selling BoG's LE bonus DVD on its own on eBay, just a matter of him looking it up.
Well, of course that's a possibility that can happen at any time. But the point is that the source of the release itself is the limited edition of Battle of Gods.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:I own the BoG version of this special and the picture quality is kinda fuzzy, whereas the original DVD release appears to be somewhat better.
Can you make a comparison?

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Ok if I have to download it, does it have good subtitles? Are there multiple versions with varying subtitle quality or just one?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:00 pm

Dagon wrote:Ok if I have to download it, does it have good subtitles? Are there multiple versions with varying subtitle quality or just one?
I imagine there very well may be fansubs, but at one point Toei streamed it on their site with their own official subs, so there is at least one good sub track for it.

Naturally, I can't point you in the right direction here, though even if I could, I can't say I'd know what to look for honestly.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:13 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Can you make a comparison?
Not right now. Don't have it on this current HDD but it's really no big deal, only a few fans would get picky over it.
Dagon wrote:Ok if I have to download it, does it have good subtitles? Are there multiple versions with varying subtitle quality or just one?
You could buy the DVD, extract the audio and video files, pack it in a Matroska container with English subtitles and watch it on your TV. Done.

Providing English subtitles on this website shouldn't be illegal since it's just a translation and not piracy in itself.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
I imagine there very well may be fansubs, but at one point Toei streamed it on their site with their own official subs, so there is at least one good sub track for it.

Naturally, I can't point you in the right direction here, though even if I could, I can't say I'd know what to look for honestly.
It was actually Shueisha, not Toei. And the subtitles were terminology-matched to Viz (lol "Light of Death" for Makankosappo). </ultra nitpicky>
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:03 am

Ok if I find a version with "light of death" or other viz-isms, I guess that's the one with the most reliable subs?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:54 am

I wouldn't be 100% against trading off my LE of battle of gods bluray set. my thing is that money don't mean that much to me anymore and have everything related to the series already so trading is hard for me. lol to be honest i'm not even sure how much the boxset goes for now...I wont lie before I got it I made myself a personal bootleg copy of it.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:53 am

samuraix123 wrote:I wouldn't be 100% against trading off my LE of battle of gods bluray set. my thing is that money don't mean that much to me anymore and have everything related to the series already so trading is hard for me. lol to be honest i'm not even sure how much the boxset goes for now...I wont lie before I got it I made myself a personal bootleg copy of it.
You made your own Battle Of The God's bootleg? You didn't just download a bootleg that someone else made?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:01 am

ZodaEX wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:I wouldn't be 100% against trading off my LE of battle of gods bluray set. my thing is that money don't mean that much to me anymore and have everything related to the series already so trading is hard for me. lol to be honest i'm not even sure how much the boxset goes for now...I wont lie before I got it I made myself a personal bootleg copy of it.
You made your own Battle Of The God's bootleg? You didn't just download a bootleg that someone else made?
I was talking about a bootleg of Yo! Son Goku & friends return bootleg with a menu and subs but the limited edition bluray and I think Dvd? Of battle of gods japanese collectors edition included Yo Son Goku & friends return on Dvd with no subs. I wont bootleg unless absolutely necessary cause I want to support my series.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!