The "Makankōsappō"...How WOULD you localize that?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The "Makankōsappō"...How WOULD you localize that?

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:I agree, but Kamehameha is supposed to be translated as Turtle wave.
Kamehameha actually comes from the name of a Hawaian king. "Turtle wave" and/or "Turtle destruction wave" are just attempts people make at trying to make sense out of it as a Japanese word phrase... Which ends up similar to trying to make sense out of the "German" in the Monty Python funniest joke in the world sketch.
Actually I'm pretty sure this was meant to be a double pun - it actually does mean that but it's also the Hawaiian King's name
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:22 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:I agree, but Kamehameha is supposed to be translated as Turtle wave.
Kamehameha actually comes from the name of a Hawaian king. "Turtle wave" and/or "Turtle destruction wave" are just attempts people make at trying to make sense out of it as a Japanese word phrase... Which ends up similar to trying to make sense out of the "German" in the Monty Python funniest joke in the world sketch.
Actually I'm pretty sure this was meant to be a double pun - it actually does mean that but it's also the Hawaiian King's name
I imagine it having the "Kame" sound in it made it attractive to Toriyama, but again, I don't think "Kamehameha" actually has any meaning in Japanese. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I've seen around the net, the furthest anyone has gone in arguing the other way has been "well it has Kame in it", and no one really questions it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Wasn't that kinda the story of how Toriyama came up with the name? He wanted an attack name for Muten Roshi's ki blast and wanted Kame in the name. His wife was the one that suggested Kamehameha and he liked the name.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:31 pm

God that woman deserves more credit. She truly seems to be the woman behind the man.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:21 am

For what it's worth Kamehameha isn't "Turtle Destruction Wave". The whole thing looks like this: (かめはめ波) in Japanese, and aside from the last 波/Ha, meaning "wave"), the whole thing is in hiragana and is inherently meaningless. かめ/Kame is obviously meant to suggest the word "turtle" but it's not the word itself, and はめ/Hame seems to be just a bunch of meaningless gibberish. Obviously, the whole thing is meant to be a reference to King Kamehameha of Hawaii, which complicates the translation matter even further.
Long story short, "Kamehameha" is a bizarre half Japanese/half Hawaiian pun that's better off left alone, not at all comparable to a straightforward Japanese word like Makankosappo.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:22 am

DanielSSJ wrote:For what it's worth Kamehameha isn't "Turtle Destruction Wave". The whole thing looks like this: (かめはめ波) in Japanese, and aside from the last 波/Ha, meaning "wave"), the whole thing is in hiragana and is inherently meaningless. かめ/Kame is obviously meant to suggest the word "turtle" but it's not the word itself, and はめ/Hame seems to be just a bunch of meaningless gibberish. Obviously, the whole thing is meant to be a reference to King Kamehameha of Hawaii, which complicates the translation matter even further.
Long story short, "Kamehameha" is a bizarre half Japanese/half Hawaiian pun that's better off left alone, not at all comparable to a straightforward Japanese word like Makankosappo.
I can imagine Kid Krillin going "Turtle Something Wave!" as he tries to remember the words would be an amusing way to "translate" it, considering it's mostly nonsense with a Turtle and Wave thrown in there.

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:04 am

Demon Light Piercer

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:58 pm

"Kamehameha" is a very simple, elegant phrase which fits the motif of punctuating each interval of a charged attack with a basic, punchy syllable. It works in any language, and it ends with the syllable "ha" which is essentially the syllable of an angry shout - i.e. perfect for firing a powerful beam.

"Makankosappo" is both a garbled mouthful for non-Japanese speakers and doesn't jump off the same way. Translating it into something badass was and is a good idea. "Demon Death Spiral" wouldn't be too bad, as I think "spiral" is a better screaming word than "drill" or "wave".
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:00 am

I like teamfourstar's take on it. Makakapotamus!
The world is your's.

SheonGT

Post by SheonGT » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Piercing Demon Beam!
Ask me about my love for the Faulconer Productions score!

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:52 am

Kaboom wrote:I've practically always had a simple localization in mind... "Demon Drill Cannon." Gets all the key translation points across, has some alliteration with "Demon" and "Drill," and it can easily become "Darkness Drill Cannon" for TV broadcast if that must be a thing that happens.
That's the best for me, it conveys the original name meaning and doesn't try too hard to sound cool.
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:29 am

Acetona wrote:
Kaboom wrote:I've practically always had a simple localization in mind... "Demon Drill Cannon." Gets all the key translation points across, has some alliteration with "Demon" and "Drill," and it can easily become "Darkness Drill Cannon" for TV broadcast if that must be a thing that happens.
That's the best for me, it conveys the original name meaning and doesn't try too hard to sound cool.
What's wrong with an attack name sounding cool? Go watch Toshio Furukawa shout "Makankosappooooooo!!" at interviews and panels and stuff and tell me he doesn't think it sounds awesome. That's like...the point of attack names. Not to bring across the exact, rigid, literal meaning of the attack.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:35 am

Forte224 wrote:
Acetona wrote:
What's wrong with an attack name sounding cool? Go watch Toshio Furukawa shout "Makankosappooooooo!!" at interviews and panels and stuff and tell me he doesn't think it sounds awesome. That's like...the point of attack names. Not to bring across the exact, rigid, literal meaning of the attack.
That's not what I said though. There's nothing wrong with them sounding cool, but there are times when you try way too hard to sound cool. Like OP suggested the word "infernal". It doesn't work with this technique in particular, imo. When I see "inferno" on attack names, I think of fire-based attacks. Demon Drill Cannon sounds cool enough. It's natural and depicts what the attack is visually.
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 am

Fair enough, though I think Demon Drill Cannon sounds kind of flat.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:34 am

How about Piccolo shouting "screw you, demon"?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:17 pm

Demonic Beam Fire would be a sweet translation. I just put together suggestions here and what the original Ocean dub had for the attack name. Fire sounds really cool when shouted out, especially when Scott McNeil does it :lol:

To be fair, "Beam Cannon Fire" was a decent stand in.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Piercing Demon Light would be my translation, but I would honestly just like to keep Makankosappo as the name of the attack.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:40 am

Demon Spiral Beam?

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:10 am

Let's see
In Italian it's named "cannone speciale" , is like in English but without "special".
Wanting to retranslate it following your guidelines, it may be ... Raggio di Luce demoniaca (?) , in English demonic light beam (?)

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:13 am

Vanquishing Light Beam.
Light Slayer Cannon.