Goku with Saiyan armor (Cell Saga): did you like it or not?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Goku with Saiyan armor (Cell Saga): did you like it or not?

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:22 am

I'm glad it wasn't permanent, but it was still cool seeing it for an extended period.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:26 am

I thought it was cool to see him in Vegeta's armor style but then quickly realized it didn't suit him very well. I feel like Toriyama went through that exact same thought process.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:51 pm

I always thought it looked awkward in the anime and manga, but for whatever reason, I thought the action figure I had as a kid of Super Saiyan Goku in Saiyan armor was one of the coolest looking figures.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:31 am

It didn't really suit him, but similar to Bulma's department (or that time he was in the orange vest waiting for the Cell Games to start), it was just nice seeing him in different clothing for once. It's one of the problems I have with what I've seen of Super; RoF was great in showing Goku and Vegeta in brand new outfits, but the series itself has since stuck to the established iconography of the Cell armour/gi for marketing reasons.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:40 am

Really cool to see imo as many alternative short term outfits would be to see. Wish they’d take more chances with that in general. But the orange fit suits him the most so for big time moments/fights I understand it

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:48 am

As a kid, I thought he looked pretty cool wearing that armor.

But now, I just see a mismatch. You can't mix Goku with that armor. It's not the armor for him. That armor just suits to Vegeta.

On other hand, I think the armor he had in that scene of the "what-if" scenario if Goku stayed as Kakarot and kept his Saiyan mentality from Saiyan Saga looked better for him.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:01 am

It's okay. I don't really like or dislike it.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:24 pm

I'm a bigger fan of it than most people. Wish he fought Cell like that.

Super Vegeta

Post by Super Vegeta » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:48 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:I always thought it looked awkward in the anime and manga, but for whatever reason, I thought the action figure I had as a kid of Super Saiyan Goku in Saiyan armor was one of the coolest looking figures.
I agree. I think it's because in the anime and manga Vegeta and Trunks' jumpsuit is a turtleneck style and Goku and Gohan's jumpsuit is like a low cut shirt. Whereas the Goku saiyan armor figure has his jumpsuit as a turtleneck which suits that type of battle armor better in my opinion.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:44 pm

I like it. I wouldn't ever want it to be his default wear, but it was cool seeing him and Gohan wear it during their training in the Room of Spirit and Time.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Yasai11
Banned

Post by Yasai11 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:09 pm

I honestly think the Saiyan Armor really suits Goku rather well. I'm not a big fan of his Gi post Cell-Saga because it's too basic without out any embellishments.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:34 am

Tian wrote:As a kid, I thought he looked pretty cool wearing that armor.

But now, I just see a mismatch. You can't mix Goku with that armor. It's not the armor for him. That armor just suits to Vegeta.

On other hand, I think the armor he had in that scene of the "what-if" scenario if Goku stayed as Kakarot and kept his Saiyan mentality from Saiyan Saga looked better for him.
I agree, to me that what-if armor looks cooler on Goku then the one he ended up wearing in the cell arc.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 pm

I liked it for a short period! It gave the Goku/Gohan training time its own flavour, and seeing characters try out different looks is always fun.

But character design-wise, it had to go. Especially when they're all Super Saiyan so often, the Saiyan characters look way too similar if they're in the same outfits. Saiyan armour is Vegeta's look, and while I enjoy other characters wearing it temporarily, or Trunks wearing it to match his father, it really only works for Vegeta as a standard outfit. I tend to dislike Gohan in the orange gi for that reason, too - his purple or darker indigo uniforms, or even the green tracksuit, stand out more and make him look like his own character instead of a Goku "sidekick".

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Bryesque wrote:I liked it for a short period! It gave the Goku/Gohan training time its own flavour, and seeing characters try out different looks is always fun.

But character design-wise, it had to go. Especially when they're all Super Saiyan so often, the Saiyan characters look way too similar if they're in the same outfits. Saiyan armour is Vegeta's look, and while I enjoy other characters wearing it temporarily, or Trunks wearing it to match his father, it really only works for Vegeta as a standard outfit. I tend to dislike Gohan in the orange gi for that reason, too - his purple or darker indigo uniforms, or even the green tracksuit, stand out more and make him look like his own character instead of a Goku "sidekick".
Originally Gohan only wore the orange gi when Goku was dead, so I think it fitted him well as it was about him succeeding his father rather than having two similar guys hanging around with the same clothes.

It's only DB Super (and the Tapion movie) that has Gohan in orange gi with Goku alive -- but the again only in the anime, not the manga where he chooses to wear the purple gi instead.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:33 pm

I'd say it looks pretty beast, especially when he bulks up in it. I wouldn't want it to replace his gi entirely, but I did enjoy seeing Goku in it.

Fun fact: you can play as this Goku in Dokkan Battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYw8ak_4leY

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:

I agree, to me that what-if armor looks cooler on Goku then the one he ended up wearing in the cell arc.
It wasn't what-if armor because Goku did use it in the anime.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:11 am

ZodaEX wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:

It wasn't what-if armor because Goku did use it in the anime.
He never actually wore that what if armor in the anime. It was a hypothetical on what he would look like if he did join the saiyans.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:04 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:

I think it's those plates sticking out the side that make the difference, obviously Toriyama probably cut it to save time drawing (probably also why Goku's gi ditched kanji and the threads hanging off his belt, thankfully both were brought back in Broly!)

Love Vegeta to get an armour with the plates back or maybe the half one's like Cooler's squad those looked cool.