The FULL version of the infamous DBZ French opening

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The FULL version of the infamous DBZ French opening

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:53 pm

I found the full near-3 minute version of the infamous intro for the french dub of DBZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNLtZh3g1A

I love seeing shit like this. It's terrible and corny but still so cool seeing different interpretations of the show from around the world. The french version was used for several openings as well. It's the second most used opening after the original ones (Cha-La and We Got Power)

Hungary did it's own version of the French one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2es0M80ZlFs

As well as Portugal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FystCy_7aHU

And the Polish dub just used the French one without dubbing it.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Re: The FULL version of the infamous DBZ French opening

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:15 pm

The live-action woman in the French one was a co-host on Club Dorethée, which was a morning show that aired DBZ in France.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:27 pm

The first Serbian dub used an instrumental remix of that song.
https://youtu.be/zQSIzfIAQFA

For unknown reasons, they kept the singer singing "Dragon Ball Z" bit. Even though the dub never calls the show like that. It is mentioned as Zmajeva Kugla Generacija Z or Zmajeva Kugla Z instead.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Greece used this song in the Buu Saga. (IIRC, both the instrumental version and the one with Ariane singing)

BTW, France has a song for DragonBall GT as well but as far as I know it was never used..?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWpFR5cHIRQ

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:43 pm

I found the extended one for original Dragon Ball, also sung by Ariane: Dragon Ball : le générique d'Ariane (Clip officiel).
Was it Ariane Carletti being on Club Dorethée the reason why these exist instead of the French covers of the Japanese themes?

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tavarano » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:09 pm

I don't understand the hate it gets in the comments and votes, it's like they all forgot that it's a wholesome cartoon for little kids.
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:38 pm

TVfan721 wrote:I found the full near-3 minute version of the infamous intro for the french dub of DBZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNLtZh3g1A

I love seeing shit like this. It's terrible and corny but still so cool seeing different interpretations of the show from around the world. The french version was used for several openings as well. It's the second most used opening after the original ones (Cha-La and We Got Power)

Hungary did it's own version of the French one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2es0M80ZlFs

As well as Portugal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FystCy_7aHU

And the Polish dub just used the French one without dubbing it.
You gotta be shitting me. There's an even longer version? It's not a bad custom opening for a minute but three minutes of the same lines? Ugh.
Tavarano wrote:I don't understand the hate it gets in the comments and votes, it's like they all forgot that it's a wholesome cartoon for little kids.
Yeah, it's not really that bad but at 3mins I couldn't bare to listen to it all.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:52 pm

The one for the original Dragon Ball fits pretty well since the tone of DB is much lighter. The Blue Water dub we got in Canada actually uses an English version of that too. The one for DBZ is awful though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrVTinOsBw
Tavarano wrote:I don't understand the hate it gets in the comments and votes, it's like they all forgot that it's a wholesome cartoon for little kids.
The show wasn't made for 3 year olds. It doesn't fit the tone or the age range they were aiming for at all. The track sounds like something from Barney or Teletubbies.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:09 pm

The sad thing is polish fans are so blinded by nostalgia they consider this...thing, to be the best intro ever and french dub to be the best or second best right after japanese.

We had not just french intro but entire DB, DBZ and DBGT were with french dub and polish voice over and my god, it was awful :?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:54 pm

I might get hated for this but I dont mind the opening. Actually I really like it. And even if I didnt like it I cant hate Club Dorothee. Millions of little french kids got the love for anime thanks to them. 55% SHARE BABY!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:54 am

That's how we got it in Hungary. But nobody liked it when we thought it is the original opening.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:07 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I might get hated for this but I dont mind the opening. Actually I really like it.
I like it too even though its melody is too happy for DBZ.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:18 am

I was going to ask what made it "notorious," but then I saw it. And I wasn't disappointed! I love the cheese. The lady's facial expressions as she was "watching" the action were hilarious. Also looked more like a montage than an opening. Finally, these openings are so focused on Gohan. There's hardly any Goku and yet, plenty of Gohan. That's interesting.

Well, this made my morning.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:47 pm

TVfan721 wrote:The show wasn't made for 3 year olds. It doesn't fit the tone or the age range they were aiming for at all. The track sounds like something from Barney or Teletubbies.
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT were all made for kids regardless if it was specifically 3 years old or 6 years old. Now, by modern progressive standards the Classic Dragon Ball series may be considered sexist and violent but don't forget it's a Japanese product so if you don't like it, don't watch it.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:54 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
TVfan721 wrote:The show wasn't made for 3 year olds. It doesn't fit the tone or the age range they were aiming for at all. The track sounds like something from Barney or Teletubbies.
Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT were all made for kids regardless if it was specifically 3 years old or 6 years old. Now, by modern progressive standards the Classic Dragon Ball series may be considered sexist and violent but don't forget it's a Japanese product so if you don't like it, don't watch it.
What on Earth are you talking about? Your last sentence has nothing to do what I even said. There's a huge difference between 3 and 6 years old.

For reference, when the original Japanese DBZ aired on the International Channel, some episodes were rated PG but most were rated Y7 which means Age 7 or older.

There was an age group in mind when the show was made. 3-year old's were not in that range. If the theme song sounds like something from a television show that suits 3-year olds (like Teletubbies) then it doesn't fit the tone of DBZ.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:14 am

And besides TV Fan likes Dragon Ball. Your ultimatum makes no sense!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tavarano » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:47 am

I don't see all that much difference.
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:29 am

TVfan721 wrote:The one for the original Dragon Ball fits pretty well since the tone of DB is much lighter. The Blue Water dub we got in Canada actually uses an English version of that too. The one for DBZ is awful though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrVTinOsBw
The show wasn't made for 3 year olds. It doesn't fit the tone or the age range they were aiming for at all. The track sounds like something from Barney or Teletubbies.
Back in the day I was close to not bothering with the original because of the opening. It was embarrassing having anyone overhear it thinking you might be watching Teletubbies LOL
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:07 pm

TVfan721,

DB series were made for kids. Now, whether you think it's not suitable for kids them that's your own issue.