The FULL version of the infamous DBZ French opening

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The FULL version of the infamous DBZ French opening

Post by TVfan721 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:14 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:TVfan721,

DB series were made for kids. Now, whether you think it's not suitable for kids them that's your own issue.
You're speaking nonsense that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I'm done wasting my time talking to you.

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:55 pm

Say, is there a Instrumental of the TV-Size version of Original DB Anime's French OP? I looked up on YouTube to find the right one without the one from the Blue Water Dub and there's no video response.

I only found the TV-Size version's Opening theme but before you watch this opening, this is the same instruments used on this TV-Size Opening theme so I need to find the Instrumental TV-Size version of this opening but with the same instruments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6KRHBtWuCU

Let me know if you upload the TV-Size Instrumental Version of this opening with the same Instruments to YouTube. I would be happy to listen to the instruments instead of the lyrics.

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:00 am

TheRed259 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:27 pm
That's Fan Made.
You can hear the Japanese lyrics and vocals if you listen very closely to this fan made opening of DBZ Kai.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:09 am

Jesus fucking lord, the dislikes on that video...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:24 pm

i heard that the Hungarian Dub of DBZ made RTL Klub to battle ORTT in Court in July 1998 until 2004.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:08 pm

There are many things that make this opening ridiculous in the eyes of French people: the atmosphere is too cute (including for the lyrics) and out of place for Dragon Ball Z, and it became outdated because it was never changed after Namek, showing cute little Gohan on Namek until the Boo saga (and the show) was over.

Notoriously (and this has been the subject of a recent French YouTube video), the producer of the show that aired pretty much all anime at the time didn't care about the products he was showing but wanted to be the only one who would write the lyrics for the various openings, requiring absolute control and the money that goes with it. He didn't read more than the basic plot outline submitted by Toei and went with it and general ideas (all openings for all anime basically mentionning bravery, facing evil, a hero with a big heart, a hero that always wins, winning with friends...) that could be used for any other anime.

In Dragon Ball Z case, it was "the kind little Gohan fights all the meanies", "his father used to be a hero, the great and brave Sangoku, and the world will soon know that his spirit is still with us", basically implying that Gohan is the cute little hero and that Goku is dead and absent for the entirety of the series, since those lyrics play from the beginning to the very end of the whole story.

For the original Dragon Ball, before a later correction, even the names were out of line in the lyrics he wrote, mentionning "the kind Gokor" (Goku) and "his friend Bubble" (Bulma) and the evil Torak (nobody ever found who that was supposed to be, but it was turned into Tao Pai Pai in the corrected version years later). And the rhymes he wrote showed many times that he didn't even pronounce English names like "Dragon Ball" correctly in his head, considering them French words to be pronounced in a French way and creating rhymes based on this.

So it was all a butchered job, and it shows. Out of place and outdated all along the show.
Talk about a shock when a Japanese opening was shown for the first time with "The Movie" combining movies 12 and 13 and showing We Gotta Power for the first time to all French fans back then! Me and my brother thought it was an opening made especially for the movie and were like "man, that movie opening is so cool, and it even sounds like the music we hear during the episodes, it's the melody of the recap turned into a song!"
Brilliant_Gear_258 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:00 am
That's Fan Made.
You can hear the Japanese lyrics and vocals if you listen very closely to this fan made opening of DBZ Kai.
Absolutely, this French Kai opening came from one of the French forums (db-z.com) where there was a thread about the possibility of creating French versions of the openings/endings.

I created those lyrics and recorded demo vocals with low-quality equipment (just a regular PC, not even an external microphone) and someone else on the forum - who had a band and therefore better equipment and lots of special effects to apply to the voice - actually took it to the next level by recording it on his own with a better quality, using the karaoke Japanese track (the only thing available in the absence of a complete instrumental version, hence why you can hear some Japanese leftover).

Then another guy from the forum, Dr. Murrow, turned it into a video.
Ah, that thread also still contains lots of other French adaptations I wrote for lots of Kai and Super openings/endings now that I think about it.

It's nothing official because France uses the Japanese openings/endings nowadays for almost every anime (there are still a few exceptions like Pokemon for which the French openings are French versions of the American openings).

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:36 am

DBS also got affected with the French Opening but it's fan-made. The true opening kept the Original Japanese Version of the original opening:

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEUe--Oc5gw

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:11 pm

In Spain, there are 2 DBZ Openings: The First Opening that Spain used is their own version of "Cha-La Head Cha-La" and the second opening they used is the same French Opening dubbed in their Language. They never got "We Gotta Power" as the 2nd Opening.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Brilliant_Gear_258 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:11 pm In Spain, there are 2 DBZ Openings: The First Opening that Spain used is their own version of "Cha-La Head Cha-La" and the second opening they used is the same French Opening dubbed in their Language. They never got "We Gotta Power" as the 2nd Opening.

https://youtu.be/arEKVepnmEI

????

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Masenko that is the Latin American version...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:05 am

I don’t remember the GT one used. I have seen GT dubbed french when I was first watching it on TV and it used Dan Dan Opening and Hitorijanai for the whole run.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:09 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:07 pm TVfan721,

DB series were made for kids. Now, whether you think it's not suitable for kids them that's your own issue.
No one is saying they aren't for kids, stop being disingenuous.
Even for cartoons there are different age ranges considered. Dragonball was originally targetted at like 10-12 year old kids. The mangas aimed at 14+ in the west.

A theme tunes that sounds like a gentle ballad for babies, 0-4, is bad marketing.

This isn't about embarrassed fans pretending DBZ is cool or hardcore or whatever like in the 90's/early 00's this is just pointing out the theme song is a bad choice.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:46 am

It seems like most of the various European and even some English dubs back in the day were sourced from the French dubs of DB and DBZ courtesy of AB Groupe to some degree, with even using their own respective light sounding takes on the opening and closing.

Wow, they really made it seem more kiddy compared to most other countries. :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrVTinOsBw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QiSq3rBuE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CqU0urk9Rwc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2es0M80ZlFs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FystCy_7aHU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmGNoHJZa_w
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:00 pm

Anyway, I was used to this opening during the airing of Buu arc! It's more upbeat version of the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JUNmMfh-4E

French did lot of weird openings back in the day... like Saint Seiya:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ORH3BdCVe8

But if I can pick, German Dragon Ball Opening wasn't that bad,
here is full videoclip with Dragon Ball Evolution vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYnROdWQFbY

From the same era comes the god damn awesome Megaman (the opening is better and than the whole series altogether):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFEBaAxO7W0

Watching German television as a kid in 90s was damn awesome.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:37 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:11 pm Masenko that is the Latin American version...
I looked on the TV Size version of DBZ's French Intro comments on YouTube and saw one of the viewers from 3 years ago said something about Spain had this intro in one of the episodes.

This is the right video that has those Spain talk on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ1NcxAZUYk

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:47 pm

The Catalan Dub first used the French OP in 104 Episodes before they used the Japanese Version in Episodes 105-146:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-v7lzcy0Y

Also look at the information about Catalan Language. I heard that It's also used in a France-Spain Country or something:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_language

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:55 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:08 pm There are many things that make this opening ridiculous in the eyes of French people: the atmosphere is too cute (including for the lyrics) and out of place for Dragon Ball Z, and it became outdated because it was never changed after Namek, showing cute little Gohan on Namek until the Boo saga (and the show) was over.

Notoriously (and this has been the subject of a recent French YouTube video), the producer of the show that aired pretty much all anime at the time didn't care about the products he was showing but wanted to be the only one who would write the lyrics for the various openings, requiring absolute control and the money that goes with it. He didn't read more than the basic plot outline submitted by Toei and went with it and general ideas (all openings for all anime basically mentionning bravery, facing evil, a hero with a big heart, a hero that always wins, winning with friends...) that could be used for any other anime.

In Dragon Ball Z case, it was "the kind little Gohan fights all the meanies", "his father used to be a hero, the great and brave Sangoku, and the world will soon know that his spirit is still with us", basically implying that Gohan is the cute little hero and that Goku is dead and absent for the entirety of the series, since those lyrics play from the beginning to the very end of the whole story.

For the original Dragon Ball, before a later correction, even the names were out of line in the lyrics he wrote, mentionning "the kind Gokor" (Goku) and "his friend Bubble" (Bulma) and the evil Torak (nobody ever found who that was supposed to be, but it was turned into Tao Pai Pai in the corrected version years later). And the rhymes he wrote showed many times that he didn't even pronounce English names like "Dragon Ball" correctly in his head, considering them French words to be pronounced in a French way and creating rhymes based on this.

So it was all a butchered job, and it shows. Out of place and outdated all along the show.
Talk about a shock when a Japanese opening was shown for the first time with "The Movie" combining movies 12 and 13 and showing We Gotta Power for the first time to all French fans back then! Me and my brother thought it was an opening made especially for the movie and were like "man, that movie opening is so cool, and it even sounds like the music we hear during the episodes, it's the melody of the recap turned into a song!"
Brilliant_Gear_258 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:00 am

That's Fan Made.
Absolutely, this French Kai opening came from one of the French forums (db-z.com) where there was a thread about the possibility of creating French versions of the openings/endings.

I created those lyrics and recorded demo vocals with low-quality equipment (just a regular PC, not even an external microphone) and someone else on the forum - who had a band and therefore better equipment and lots of special effects to apply to the voice - actually took it to the next level by recording it on his own with a better quality, using the karaoke Japanese track (the only thing available in the absence of a complete instrumental version, hence why you can hear some Japanese leftover).

Then another guy from the forum, Dr. Murrow, turned it into a video.
Ah, that thread also still contains lots of other French adaptations I wrote for lots of Kai and Super openings/endings now that I think about it.

It's nothing official because France uses the Japanese openings/endings nowadays for almost every anime (there are still a few exceptions like Pokemon for which the French openings are French versions of the American openings).
Torak is Emperor Pilaf in the French Dub. The 1995 Version of The French Dub of the Original Series lyrics replaced Torak with Tao Pai-Pai.

Brilliant_Gear_258
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brilliant_Gear_258 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:58 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:05 am I don’t remember the GT one used. I have seen GT dubbed french when I was first watching it on TV and it used Dan Dan Opening and Hitorijanai for the whole run.
Actually, there's 3 Versions of the intro of the French DBGT Intro:

The first intro used was the TV-Size Version of the French theme sung by Bernard Minet (originally used for the 1997 Broadcast of the French Dub of GT.)

The second intro used was the TV-Size Version of DAN DAN Kokoro Hikareteku as we all know today.

The third intro used was the same GT French theme but, now extended. (can be seen on Generation Club Do's YouTube Channel)

chungohan

Post by chungohan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:19 am

Here in spain we have seen that shitty opening from episodes 1 to 104 (at least in Catalna, they also got that in spanish but maybe in lesser episodes).

IIRC, the catalana version was sung by a man and the spanish by a woman.

I have a tvsize and a long version of the song in catalan and also an instrumental version of the long one.

Anyone interested in that one?