Aspects of the dub script you prefer.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Aspects of the dub script you prefer.

Post by matt0044 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Much as I come down on how wildly altered the early DBZ dub scripts were, I'm glad that this sense of "looseness" was not fully lost when FUNimation went on in adapting future Dragon Ball media into English post-DBZ Kai. While more faithful, it's hardly ever the stereotypical stiff translations that dubs are stigmatized for but rarely does it ever give certain plot points complete overhauls like Dragon Ball Z received. It's honestly why I prefer FUNimation's dubs for Anime overall, potential warts and all.

In all honesty, I prefer it this way. True, I prefer to have the overall storyline left as is but a dub script should be what the Anime sounds like if it had been written for English-speaking audiences first and foremost. This can benefit the vocal performances as the lines read well and sound just as well too. While certain lines of this nature are bound to crop up, it's always not a good sign for a dub when lines sound too, say, fragmented and almost lifeless which even the best directors can't work well with.

So what about the dub do you actually like a bit better? If you dare defy the popular opinions of this forum, speak your mind. And yes, this applies to Z if that's how you feel.

This thread is going to be brimming with positivity, isn't it?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Aspects of the dub script you prefer.

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:49 pm

The number 1 thing that comes to my mind? Mr. Popo not speaking like a caveman anymore.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:01 pm

In the Blue Water dub of GT, after the wish is made to make Goku a kid, the dragon says "Your wish is granted; the man is a boy again"

I like this line. And it ties into the BW version of the OP too.

Honestly, there are quite a lot of other such things from the BW dub I like. It was quite well-written. Ditto for the Pioneer dub, which was especially awesome given it had the Vancouver Ocean guys slaying on it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:48 pm

We had a very similar thread recently, but hey here we go! (note that all these come from FUNi dubs as I haven't watched any of the others)

- Downplaying a lot of the sexualized elements. I get that this was a 90s product from Japan and it was part and parcel of Toriyama back then, but Oolong going upstairs to rape Bulma is completely inappropriate (especially for a show aimed at twelve year olds), as is a lot of Roshi's behaviour around her.
- There are a couple of line changes done for censoring that IMO happen to be funnier that way, even if it's clear that it's a censored line. For example, Oolong wishing for a pair of comfy underpants and Shenron interpreting that as panties, or Bulma saying "My magic finger says it's somewhere in the ceiling!"
- I agree with changing Mr. Popo's line delivery and enunciation. He isn't exactly talking like a professor of economics and literature, but he isn't talking like an uneducated black slave from the 1820s and that's the important thing.
- None of the Son family go "CK-CK-CK-CK-CK-CK-CK!" with gritted teeth.
- That one line from GT about "girls are stronger when they cry" was re-written. I'm sorry, I don't care about authenticity for that line, it's just terribly-written and the series is better than that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:32 pm

KBABZ wrote:W
- None of the Son family go "CK-CK-CK-CK-CK-CK-CK!" with gritted teeth.
This. People make fun of the dub for the grunts sounding like they're constipated sometimes, but id take that over the KKKKKKKKK sounds

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:20 am

KBABZ wrote:We had a very similar thread recently
Which one?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:43 am

matt0044 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:We had a very similar thread recently
Which one?
Dub Changes That Don't Bother You... that much

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:37 pm

I think some adlibs like "Let's go see Yamcha" work when it's reasonably in-character for it to be said. I mean, I thought it works with Vegeta if nothing else. Lord knows that Super's dub has NOTHING on the original DBZ dub scripts in terms of being "off the mark."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:02 pm

The k-k-k-k-k thing never bothered me.

I agree with you all about Mr. Popo's way of speaking.

The one thing people here haven't mentioned thus far is in Movie 8, Kuririn no longer says Muten Roshi is the best singer in all of Japan. It should be obvious why.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:13 pm

I like the additional humor or bits of fanservice the Dragon Ball Super dub has added.

Personal favorite addition was making Goku sing "Cha-La-Head-Cha-La" when he reunites with the Nimbus Cloud in episode 76. That filler arc was so boring in the original version, but at least the guys at Funimation were able to have some fun with it.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:20 pm

NewKakarot wrote:I like the additional humor or bits of fanservice the Dragon Ball Super dub has added.

Personal favorite addition was making Goku sing "Cha-La-Head-Cha-La" when he reunites with the Nimbus Cloud in episode 76. That filler arc was so boring in the original version, but at least the guys at Funimation were able to have some fun with it.

Don't forget "i forgot my tractor!" as Goku fakes punch hit from Mr Satan.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:24 pm

ABED wrote:The one thing people here haven't mentioned thus far is in Movie 8, Kuririn no longer says Muten Roshi is the best singer in all of Japan.
It was the other way around, actually.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:17 am

Danfun64 wrote:
ABED wrote:The one thing people here haven't mentioned thus far is in Movie 8, Kuririn no longer says Muten Roshi is the best singer in all of Japan.
It was the other way around, actually.
I'm certain you are incorrect. He doesn't say Japan in the dub.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:54 pm

What I meant to say was that in the original Japanese, it was Master Roshi who said Krillin was the best singer in Japan. Although you are right in saying that the dialogue in question wasn't in the Funi dub (or the Big Green dub. Forgot if Speedy had it or not)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:25 pm

Danfun64 wrote:What I meant to say was that in the original Japanese, it was Master Roshi who said Krillin was the best singer in Japan. Although you are right in saying that the dialogue in question wasn't in the Funi dub (or the Big Green dub. Forgot if Speedy had it or not)
Oh, whoops, you're correct. My bad. Now that I think about it, it was Kuririn singing.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Danfun64 wrote:What I meant to say was that in the original Japanese, it was Master Roshi who said Krillin was the best singer in Japan. Although you are right in saying that the dialogue in question wasn't in the Funi dub (or the Big Green dub. Forgot if Speedy had it or not)
The Speedy dub did in fact have that line.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:26 pm

As a known hater of the dub there are only two things Funimation changed that I didn't mind. One was Kuririn and Bulma being weirded out and disgusted at the idea of General Blue being a gay soldier. I think it's funnier if Bulma's just annoyed that he's gay since she spent so much time hitting on her. Also Mr. Popo not speaking in broken English. His design is questionable enough, which for the record does NOT justify censoring his face and skin color, so if they must change something I'd prefer it be this.