Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
SheonGT
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:54 pm
Location: Another time and place, scattered all over space

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by SheonGT » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:17 pm

I like the top five it ended up having, I’d probably nix Movie 6 in favor of movie 1
Ask me about my love for the Faulconer Productions score!

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ABED wrote:
Bio Broly at least we get to see some of the secondary characters take the spotlight
And? That doesn't make it interesting.
What was the point of this comment? Obviously for me it does.
Why? Why does putting the secondary characters in the spotlight make it more interesting than Goku? What about them is so much more interesting about having them given the spotlight in an incredibly boring movie? I think you are completely downplaying BoG's good qualities and overplaying how interesting Trunks and Goten are. Beerus, unlike that giant blob is an interesting antagonist. Do we know why he has the title? Would it be any more effective seeing him destroy a planet? You're right, we've seen strong beings before, but we've also seen characters (much weaker characters by the way) destroy planets. This is non-issue.

Why no love here for the DB movies? Is there some recency bias going on here?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3076
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:29 pm

The thing that prevents BoG from being my personal favorite movie has to do with the fact that while it’s fun and definitely feels like Dragon Ball, not a whole lot actually happens in it. A good chunk of it takes place at a birthday party where Vegeta is trying to make sure that nothing pisses Beerus off, and there weren’t any real character arcs in the movie. Plus, the Pilaf gang didn’t really add much to the film.

DBZ movie 13 just feels like it has more in the way of actual substance. Tapion is a solid character with a clear arc, and while Kid Trunks is by no means one of my favorite characters, it’s nice that the movie actually allows him to be something other than some hotheaded kid who forms one half of Gotenks. Apart from that, having the gang face off against a rampaging kaiju is a nice change of pace, and I honestly prefer the art style and colors of the movie over the overly shiny look of BoG.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:42 pm

ABED wrote:Why no love here for the DB movies? Is there some recency bias going on here?
Err-hem,
Doctor. wrote:It's missing Wrath of the Dragon, Mystical Adventure and Sleeping Princess in the Devil's Castle
The first one and PtP are mediocre though.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:35 pm

That one passed my notice. I disagree about Movie 1. It's a very enjoyable movie, even if the environmentalist message feels very unlike DB.
The thing that prevents BoG from being my personal favorite movie has to do with the fact that while it’s fun and definitely feels like Dragon Ball, not a whole lot actually happens in it. A good chunk of it takes place at a birthday party where Vegeta is trying to make sure that nothing pisses Beerus off, and there weren’t any real character arcs in the movie. Plus, the Pilaf gang didn’t really add much to the film.
1 - Vegeta trying to keep Beerus from getting pissed off isn't just great comedy, it's also a great source of tension and conflict.
2 - A character arc isn't necessary for every story.
3 - Pilaf and company added a ton of comedy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Kakarot » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:37 pm

ABED wrote:That one passed my notice. I disagree about Movie 1. It's a very enjoyable movie, even if the environmentalist message feels very unlike DB.
Pilaf and company added a ton of comedy.
The quality of the comedy can be debated.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 21087
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:47 am

Resurrection F and Return Of Cooler being in the top five make me a sad panda.

But I'm over the moon that Fusion Reborn and Battle Of Gods are in the top 3. Love those movies to death.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Forte224 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Kakarot wrote:
ABED wrote:That one passed my notice. I disagree about Movie 1. It's a very enjoyable movie, even if the environmentalist message feels very unlike DB.
Pilaf and company added a ton of comedy.
The quality of the comedy can be debated.
I agree there. I hated their segments ever since my first viewing, and it continues to be my least favorite part on re-watches. Then Super just kept beating a dead horse.

Still doesn't hold it back from being my favorite though.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Forte224 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:54 pm

ABED wrote:Why no love here for the DB movies? Is there some recency bias going on here?
Recency bias? Besides BoG and RoF, all the movies being discussed here are over 20 years old.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3076
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:43 pm

ABED wrote:That one passed my notice. I disagree about Movie 1. It's a very enjoyable movie, even if the environmentalist message feels very unlike DB.
The thing that prevents BoG from being my personal favorite movie has to do with the fact that while it’s fun and definitely feels like Dragon Ball, not a whole lot actually happens in it. A good chunk of it takes place at a birthday party where Vegeta is trying to make sure that nothing pisses Beerus off, and there weren’t any real character arcs in the movie. Plus, the Pilaf gang didn’t really add much to the film.
1 - Vegeta trying to keep Beerus from getting pissed off isn't just great comedy, it's also a great source of tension and conflict.
2 - A character arc isn't necessary for every story.
3 - Pilaf and company added a ton of comedy.
1- Vegeta trying to prevent Beerus from destroying the planet did lead to some entertaining moments, but I’m not sure I would say it was a great source of conflict.
2- I’m not saying every story needs a character arc. I wouldn’t like BoG as much as I do if that were the case, but it doesn’t hurt to have one either.
3- Their comedy was fine for the most part, but they still pretty much amounted to a subplot that went nowhere.

Again, I should stress that I like BoG. I just can’t say that it’s my all time favorite Dragon Ball movie.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:56 pm

1 - How is that not conflict. Beerus could blow at the slightest provocation, Vegeta is trying desperately to stop it, like keeping Beerus away from Bulma and Buu.
2 - It's dependent on execution, like anything else. I'd rather have none than one that felt obligatory.
3 - It went somewhere funny and it wasn't boring. The first rule of art is "don't be boring". In that, it succeeded, unlike a good chunk of Movie 8 and The Path to Power.
Recency bias? Besides BoG and RoF, all the movies being discussed here are over 20 years old.
And two of the top spots are the most recent. I get your point but the top 5 are pretty much the most recent and Broly's first movie. If it had included Super: Broly, there's no doubt that would be in the top 5. DB (OG) is yet again overlooked. You're splitting hairs. Recent in this case is relative. The latest movies seem to be getting the most attention.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Forte224 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

When you said "no love here" I assumed you meant people in this topic. The poll containing the two recent movies should come as no surprise.

Also I'm not splitting hairs. Saying a 20+ year old movie is getting recency bias just because it's newer than a 30+ year old movie is kind of silly.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:43 pm

Forte224 wrote:When you said "no love here" I assumed you meant people in this topic. The poll containing the two recent movies should come as no surprise.

Also I'm not splitting hairs. Saying a 20+ year old movie is getting recency bias just because it's newer than a 30+ year old movie is kind of silly.
It is splitting hairs because it's the most recent regardless of the time gap. The most recent films ranked the highest. There's nothing about the concept that gives a timeframe for recent. Movie 12 and 13 are more recent than DB movies 1-3. Besides, I'm willing to bet that most people responding to the poll didn't see the movies when they were released in Japan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Forte224 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:40 pm

ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote:When you said "no love here" I assumed you meant people in this topic. The poll containing the two recent movies should come as no surprise.

Also I'm not splitting hairs. Saying a 20+ year old movie is getting recency bias just because it's newer than a 30+ year old movie is kind of silly.
It is splitting hairs because it's the most recent regardless of the time gap. The most recent films ranked the highest. There's nothing about the concept that gives a timeframe for recent. Movie 12 and 13 are more recent than DB movies 1-3. Besides, I'm willing to bet that most people responding to the poll didn't see the movies when they were released in Japan.
And movies 11, 13, and 14 are more recent than movies 6 and 8, yet there they are on the list.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Forte224 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote:When you said "no love here" I assumed you meant people in this topic. The poll containing the two recent movies should come as no surprise.

Also I'm not splitting hairs. Saying a 20+ year old movie is getting recency bias just because it's newer than a 30+ year old movie is kind of silly.
It is splitting hairs because it's the most recent regardless of the time gap. The most recent films ranked the highest. There's nothing about the concept that gives a timeframe for recent. Movie 12 and 13 are more recent than DB movies 1-3. Besides, I'm willing to bet that most people responding to the poll didn't see the movies when they were released in Japan.
And movies 11, 13, and 14 are more recent than movies 6 and 8, yet there they are on the list.
Battle of Gods IS movie 14. Recency bias means there's a TENDENCY. It doesn't literally mean that only the most recently examples.
Last edited by ABED on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Forte224 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:52 pm

ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
ABED wrote: It is splitting hairs because it's the most recent regardless of the time gap. The most recent films ranked the highest. There's nothing about the concept that gives a timeframe for recent. Movie 12 and 13 are more recent than DB movies 1-3. Besides, I'm willing to bet that most people responding to the poll didn't see the movies when they were released in Japan.
And movies 11, 13, and 14 are more recent than movies 6 and 8, yet there they are on the list.
Battle of Gods IS movie 14
Yes, I made a mistake. My logic still applies. If recency bias applies then it would be movies 11-15 on the list. Not movies 6 and 8.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Forte224 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote: And movies 11, 13, and 14 are more recent than movies 6 and 8, yet there they are on the list.
Battle of Gods IS movie 14
Yes, I made a mistake. My logic still applies. If recency bias applies then it would be movies 11-15 on the list. Not movies 6 and 8.
The concept doesn't mean ONLY the most recent events, simply the tendency
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Forte224 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:01 pm

ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
ABED wrote:Battle of Gods IS movie 14
Yes, I made a mistake. My logic still applies. If recency bias applies then it would be movies 11-15 on the list. Not movies 6 and 8.
The concept doesn't mean ONLY the most recent events, simply the tendency
So basically you're just making stuff up that can't be denied nor proven in order to defend the honor of the DB movies? Just watch them and like them and don't worry about what other people say, instead of making up this recency bias nonsense.

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 3076
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:03 pm

ABED wrote:1 - How is that not conflict. Beerus could blow at the slightest provocation, Vegeta is trying desperately to stop it, like keeping Beerus away from Bulma and Buu.
2 - It's dependent on execution, like anything else. I'd rather have none than one that felt obligatory.
3 - It went somewhere funny and it wasn't boring. The first rule of art is "don't be boring". In that, it succeeded, unlike a good chunk of Movie 8 and The Path to Power.
1- I never said it wasn’t conflict. I said I’m not sure I’d call it a great source of conflict
2- I’d hardly say that Tapion and Trunks’ arc in DBZ movie 13 was obligatory. On the contrary, it was pretty out of the norm by the standards of a Dragon Ball movie, and I think it was handled pretty well.
3- BoG certainly isn’t a boring movie, I would agree with that. It’s just not a movie where a whole lot happens, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing in this case.

Once again, I should stress that I very much like BoG just fine. In fact, I definitely think it deserves to be ranked in the top five for Dragon Ball movies. I just feel that the 13th DBZ film does more for me in terms of feeling like an actual movie, despite its short running time.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 18607
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:16 pm

Forte224 wrote:
ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote: Yes, I made a mistake. My logic still applies. If recency bias applies then it would be movies 11-15 on the list. Not movies 6 and 8.
The concept doesn't mean ONLY the most recent events, simply the tendency
So basically you're just making stuff up that can't be denied nor proven in order to defend the honor of the DB movies? Just watch them and like them and don't worry about what other people say, instead of making up this recency bias nonsense.
I'm not making anything up. That's what it means, and I didn't make up the concept, it's a real psychological phenomenon. FFS.
1- I never said it wasn’t conflict. I said I’m not sure I’d call it a great source of conflict
2- I’d hardly say that Tapion and Trunks’ arc in DBZ movie 13 was obligatory. On the contrary, it was pretty out of the norm by the standards of a Dragon Ball movie, and I think it was handled pretty well.
3- BoG certainly isn’t a boring movie, I would agree with that. It’s just not a movie where a whole lot happens, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing in this case.

Once again, I should stress that I very much like BoG just fine. In fact, I definitely think it deserves to be ranked in the top five for Dragon Ball movies. I just feel that the 13th DBZ film does more for me in terms of feeling like an actual movie, despite its short running time.
I do think it's a great source of conflict and tension. Vegeta is trying desperately to keep a very fickle god from destroying his home and he's surrounded by people who could set him off.
I think you're confused about my point. I wasn't talking about BoG in comparison to anything specific. Yes, Movie 13 does it fine, but plenty of movies have characters go through development and it feels trite and included because the writer probably read Syd Field's book on screenwriting saying that you need it. Lastly, you say that not a lot happens in BoG, but that's fairly vague.

I'd put DBZ movie 1 above 13. It's might be shorter, but it has some of the best animation and fights in all of DB, Toriyama's story included. Goku dodging the blades is nothing short of brilliant.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Post Reply