Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by coola » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:03 am

Fans could vote for their favorite movies on Dragon Ball Super: Broly website:

1. Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn
2. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
3. Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
4. Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'
5. Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler

KaiserNeko will probably love this list :D I mostly agree with it, however, for 3rd place i would choose Dead Zone, and 4th place would take DB Movie 3, i really enjoyed its setting :)

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... me/.141105
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Toei poll "Favorite Dragon Ball Movie of All Time"

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:08 am

So glad to see Movie 12 in the first place, as it is its rightful place indeed, as well as the second place is also meant to be for Movie 14. The rest can go to a trash can.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:43 am

Very happy to see Fusion Reborn at #1

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:25 am

Fusion Reborn was definitely spectacular, what with Gogeta's debut, all the previous villains being released from hell for a grand fight with the Z-Fighters, and spectacular animation (perhaps the best in DB history?). It definitely represents all that is awesome and epic about Dragon Ball Z.

Broly's debut film was pretty awesome too.

I shouldn't be surprised that Battle of Gods and Resurrection F appeared, they are canon events and told their story better than DBS did.

The only one I can disagree with is Cooler. And personally, I'd have put either the Tree of Might or the World's Strongest in there, even if their early DBZ pre-Vegeta status can be against them,
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:53 am

What a terrible list. Fusion Reborn is a bunch of hot air. BoG might be the worst DB movie ever, ResF and the Cooler movie are ehh I guess movie 8 wasn't too bad compared to all of those 19 movies.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:26 pm

coola wrote:Fans could vote for their favorite movies on Dragon Ball Super: Broly website:

KaiserNeko will probably love this list :D I mostly agree with it, however, for 3rd place i would choose Dead Zone, and 4th place would take DB Movie 3, i really enjoyed its setting :)

:?

You're telling me that neither Path to Power nor Wrath of the Dragon are on this list? What the hell.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Fusion Reborn is the most overrated movie and Resurection 'F' was garbage.

How did they make it on list and "Path to Power" didn't?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:BoG might be the worst DB movie ever.
I'm going to assume you realize you're in the minority there. Opinions are opinions but how could you rationalize liking BoG less than Bio-Broly or Super Android 13?

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:29 pm

I really would have liked to see the list for all the movies. Would like to know where Tree of Might stacks up.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:18 pm

It's probably unintentional, but it sure is convenient how basically everything in this list also related to the new Broly film. Fusion Reborn introduces Gogeta, BoG has Super Saiyan God and Beerus and Whis, Broly 1 is obvious, Resurrection 'F' has the reintroduction of Freeza and Golden Freeza, and Cooler 2 is the first Goku/Vegeta team-up movie. It's like the new movie saw this poll and tried to include as many elements from those 5 as possible.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Opinions are of course subjective, but I have to admit, I’m somewhat offended that Ressurection ‘F’ and The Return of Cooler are in the top five. I can’t for the life of me understand what exactly the appeal of either of those movies are, but I guess I’m happy for the people who enjoy those films. This poll would also seem to reinforce my opinion that Wrath of the Dragon is an extremely underrated movie. As of now, it’s still my favorite DB movie.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Fusion Reborn and BoG are great picks. Res 'F' and Coola not so much. M8 is on the top half of the movies but definitely not top 5 material.

It's missing Wrath of the Dragon, Mystical Adventure and Sleeping Princess in the Devil's Castle. Shout-outs to the Dead Zone, The World's Strongest and The Tree of Might as well.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:25 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Fusion Reborn is the most overrated movie and Resurection 'F' was garbage.

How did they make it on list and "Path to Power" didn't?
Seems this might have been aimed at Modern Dragon Ball fans than moreso Classic Dragon Ball fans. Hence why you have such an underwhelming top 5.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:BoG might be the worst DB movie ever.
I'm going to assume you realize you're in the minority there. Opinions are opinions but how could you rationalize liking BoG less than Bio-Broly or Super Android 13?
Mostly because those films don't attempt to be bigger than they are. Bio Broly at least we get to see some of the secondary characters take the spotlight and Android 13 at least there were sustained periods of action.

BoG is a film in which largely nothing happens at all. Follows the standard Z arc plot in which villain shows, Goku is out, others distract/hold down the fort, Goku the saviour arrives etc.

Beerus has a terrible introduction in which we aren't shown why he has the title of GoD instead we're just constantly told he is, sure his strength is shown but we've seen strong foes before.

The film also gave us those terrible modern DB designs, overall flat animation and mediocre direction.

It didn't even introduce the idea of the universes as it didn't show us them merely mentioned in an offhand line that fans ran wild with.

I used to love BoG but one viewing it just didn't sit right and ever since I just been disliking the film more and more.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:30 pm

coola wrote:Fans could vote for their favorite movies on Dragon Ball Super: Broly website:

Fusion Reborn is a fun movie with enough enjoyment to put it into the top #10 but does not have the substance to place it on the top #5, let alone as #1.

Battle of Gods is totally worth being in the top #3 (I personally would rank it #1), it's the movie with the most amount of substance and less formulaic DBZ formula that plagued, to varying degress, the previous 13 DBZ movies.

The Legendary Super Saiyan is the same case as Fusion Reborn it's entertaining (less so than Fusion) but not a lot of substance behind it (admitely it has more than the former), it has enough attributes to rank it either #10 or #9.

Ressurection 'F' just does not deserve being in the top 10, there's just nothing in that movie outside of Yamamuro's lackluster directing and not appealing character designs and aesthetics, this movie should be among the botton.

The Return of Cooler is just a whatever movie filled with nothing but fights with a dull villan and with zero substance compared to the light amount of pathos the first Cooler movie had (Cooler's ironic fate at the end).

The lack of Wrath of the Dragon on this list is disturbing, the movie that had the most amount of characterization and character drama of all the DB movies (before and after). Other movies that deserve to mentioned on a top 5 should be Path to Power, World Strongest, Dead Zone.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
The lack of Wrath of the Dragon on this list is disturbing, the movie that had the most amount of characterization and character drama of all the DB movies (before and after). Other movies that deserve to mentioned on a top 5 should be Path to Power, World Strongest, Dead Zone.
Personally, i don't like Wrath of the Dragon, villain was cool, but, Tapion was boring, and Kid Trunks is one of my most disliked characters in Dragon Ball. I'm also curious why they made it like Tapion Sword was one Future Trunks uses? It was needless confusion.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:37 pm

I enjoy movie 13, but I find Mystical Adventure and Battle of Gods to be the best of the movies. Both are just so much fun.

Even though The Path to Power is nearly 1.5 hours, it's still trying to stuff way too much into its runtime.
Bio Broly at least we get to see some of the secondary characters take the spotlight
And? That doesn't make it interesting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:01 pm

It's a decent list I'd say, although I have mixed opinions about Movie 6. On the one hand it had good fights and the first ever Goku/Vegeta team up. On the other hand the way they revived Cooler felt forced and convoluted, and they cheated us out of seeing Goku and Vegeta actually fighting a billion Coolers which would have been awesome. It's a decent movie overall, but I think Movie 1, Movie 3, Movie 5, and Movie 7 are all a bit better.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:43 pm

ABED wrote:
Bio Broly at least we get to see some of the secondary characters take the spotlight
And? That doesn't make it interesting.
What was the point of this comment? Obviously for me it does.